A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Uncanny Valley Crossed?

Pheonix Gamma

I don't think the Uncanny Valley was meant to be based off of still images. After all, painters have been creating photo-realistic images for quite some time. So I don't really find this very creepy or any such thing.

Anyway, it still looks sorta CG to me. Especially the hair. Although I doubt I'd be able to pick it out of a list and I'd probably pass it over given no reason to suspect it as fake.

Get me when SmarterChild can keep up a decent conversation.

I've never seen, met, or been given second-hand information about practically anyone on TV or the movies. They might as well be robots or computer generated images to me. They're both just different forms of illusions, which great effort has been put into them to making them seem real. If it was a bit more on-the-spot, I might feel differently, but what's the difference between one image and 100,000 frames? Time. And, granted a computer can spew out photo-realistic images infinitely faster than human laborors, until we reach a time that such realistic images can be generated real-time, they're still just scripted movies to me. Not even a proper farse.

Edit: Being a little crass here. The image is actually quite impressive. As I said before, I probably couldn't pick it out of a list.

A impressive feat, I must admit. A very impressive feat. Although, as Kain has put it, the time when computer will be able to generate real-time photo-realistic models is still ahead of us. So, it's just a matter of seeing carefuly crafted frames displayed sequentially.

Like Streak, I also have no trouble distinguishing it from the real thing.

Its partly in the lips, partly in the ears, partly in the eyes... it just seems obvious to me.

I could probably pick it out of a list...

But yeah, the question of animation remains. Making a photorealistic (almost) 3D model is nowhere near as hard as making photorealistic 3D animation.