A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

(W.I.P.) Sonic The Hedgehog: Project Genesis

Armada

projgenlogo.png

This game came around when I began reading MangaGaga (which is friggin' awesome by the way). It made references to SFGHQ (Sonic Fan Games HQ), so I decided to check it out. I became hooked instantly. The thought that I could make my own game without any (and by any, I mean many) boundaries.

I decided that the 3D games just about <CENSORED>ed up the Sonic series, so I decided to bring it back to its roots. My plan was to include levels from the original 3 games, but it spanned out into Chaotix, Game Gear games, Sonic CD, and (believe it or not) one level from Sonic Adventure, and Sonic 3D blast. I thought the idea was great, but my lack of skills made it impossible. Hope was revitalized, though, when I got my hands on a couple of engines, specifically Kain's Sonic Movement engine.

Things are coming along nicely now. A (lame) character switch is up, as well as Shadow being implemented, the maps are working great, and a save feature being added. Loops and slopes are yet to come (I'm having trouble with the engine, but I'll get it eventually). HUD yet to be implemented.

Anyway... here's some plans and screens. But not demo yet.

-Plans-

Zones

GG: Bridge and Aqua Lake

S1: Green Hill and Labyrinth

S2: Wood and Hidden Palace (for finding emeralds, more on that later)

S3: Hydrocity and Icecap

SCD: Collision Chaos and Stardust Speedway (still need tiles for them)

+5 Suggested new Zones

Characters

Sonic

Shadow (with discernible differences from Sonic)

Tails

Knuckles

-Mechanics-

Chaotix HUD with a new look

Homing attack (Sonic)

Lightdash (Sonic and Shadow)

Chaos Control (Shadow)

Flight (Tails)

Gliding (Knuckles)

-Music-

Classic Zones

MIDI renditions

Map

Same as Zone MIDIs, but less emphasised

New Zones

Self-composed MIDI's in ACID Music Studio

Title Screen

Meteos's menu music (a whole lot o' "m"s)

Credits

MP3 of Door Into Summer

-Unlockables-

Zones

S3D: Green Grove

SA: Windy Valley

GG: Great Turquiose

KC: Speed Slider and Botanic Base

Ristar: Planet Flora

Sound Test

Characters

Generic the Hedgehog (Power Rings reference)

Metal Sonic

Robotnick (not Eggman, Eggman is for n00bs)

Metal Shadow (beat game as Sonic, Shadow, and Metal sonic)

-Screens-

(Sorry for the bitmaps, my old compy doesn't save PNGs, and for them being huge)

Sonic in the Lobby

projgen1.jpg

Shadow too

projgen2.jpg

Sonic on the Bridge Zone map

projgen3.jpg

Shadow in what I have for Bridge Zone Act 1

projgen4.jpg

Shadow in the Green Hill Zone map

projgen5.jpg

Sonic in the very small Green Hill Zone Act 1

projgen6.jpg

Ok. I'll take the Advance sprites out and replace them with Sonic 3 sprites (they'd fit better anyway). I'm all for suggestions with this game, keep giving me ideas. :) As for the resolution, that's not going to be final size. Oh, and this is being made in Game Maker 5.3, forgot to mention that (not that it matters)

Change the resolution to 320 x 240, don't make it any bigger. As others have said, don't mix advance or 8-bit with genesis, if that's what you're going with.

It sounds like you know what you want to do with this game, just stick with it. If you need help with testing or anything, feel free to ask. Good luck.

One more thing, when you use the old GG levels, remake them to Genesis style. It shouldn't be too hard, bridge zone was just Green Hill Zone with picket fences and bridges. And some pretty good music too.

That's a good idea. All I really have to do is 3D effect/shade them (not hard). And the music (I got off VG Music) is pretty good, I only choose the best. As for my custom music, ACID (my music program) won't save MIDIs, so I may have to add them as MP3s. Ugh, file size issues will ensue.

giant ring map concept stolen borrowed from cinos i see

Yeah, I sort of did. I borrowed (stole) the idea from Sonic Advance 3. But, there's not many differences between them really.

Well, I replaced the Sonic Advance sprites today. Now I need to add Knuckles and Tails. I'll probably be asking really n00bish questions, but I'll try myself first, search the boards to see if they've been answered before, and use Google.

Ok, new screens. The resolution is now 320 x 240. I took away the oh so horrible Sonic Advance sprites and put In Sonic 3 sprites, still have to change Bridge Zone's tiles. I set up a temporary HUD, and got the ring counter working. There's also a (horrible) tile screen. Now it's time to put in enemy based things (dropping rings, dying, homing attack, and checkpoints) and the light dash. I may be asking (begging) for help with Damizean's 360 engine, last time I tried it Sonic got glued to 1 pixel on the bottom loop.

Screens

projgen7.jpg

progen8.jpg

I've added Wood Zone in. Since Hidden Palace isn't going to be a regularly accessed level (I've got main game plans for it though), I'm putting in Desert (Dust Hill) Zone, which is probably the least controversial name for it. Yes, I know it's been done to death, but I'm using it anyway (fan game filler). I made Bridge Zone's tiles Genesis style, and I think they look pretty good. I'll get screens ASAP.

Questions, comments, suggestions?