A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New Sonic and the Secret Rings Gameplay Video

Slingerland

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I'm diggin the bling on Sonic's right hand in the artwork. Also, why does it remind me of the Spaz/Harvo covers in the archie comics? I mean that in a good way.

2) Gameplay looks fun. I know camera was a big complaint for the series, and since Sonic is on rails, there shouldn't be a problem with that.

3) Looks a tad linear. If they want to really add replay, they better offer a lot of alternate paths.

4) It better not have load times like on the last Sonic game... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naVshTpD9l0&eurl=

For real? You guys complain about any music. It's like "Jet Set Radio music is awesome." So the guy ends up making some music for a Sonic game. Suddenly it's "eww, wtf is this crap?" The music for this, imo, is pretty awesome. Sorta reminds me of JGR-meets-Sonic Riders music.. only with more drum n' bass.

It's essentially the mach speed sections of Sonic Next or the bosses of Sonic Heroes/Sonic Advance 2 in that you're constantly moving. It looks mostly linear, something the majority of you complain about, although they've cut down on the floating platforms. In short, it's basically a game made out of tons of stuff we supposedly hate combined into a workable engine. That being said it does look like loads of fun for a spinoff game.

Still I'm hoping that once this game is out Sonic Team, Havok, and Prope (because I don't think they're doing jacksquat anyway) will all sit down and fix the main set of games because this only proves that they're treating them like crap- had the mach speed sections played anything like this, they'd of been complete heaven.

Really? I thought the opposite of the Next vids once I saw that press conference video where someone from Sega kept falling off cliffs and slamming into stuff. It showed there were tons of glitches. I guess we'll just have to wait for conference videos of this as well. =/

Yeah, the trailers I felt can make any game look good... Even Big Rigs...

But I just went back and looked at an old actual gameplay video of Secret Rings on youtube... and from what I saw, even though the guy playing couldn't handle the speed very gracefully, the game still looked promising...

*huggs Wii*

Guest Shadix

The music is pretty kickin...

It reminds me of Throw it All Away... Is it the same dude? Who is doing the music.

Edit: Regarding Next...

Apparently they are polishing the game up for the PS3 release on January 30th, and that there will be a patch with fixes and stuff. Remember that nowadays you can't really judge the final verdict on a game when they can patch it up however they want. The patch will also supposedly speed up the load times (which aren't as bad as you guys make them out to be.)

Rumor has it that Microsoft was really pushing SEGA to have a Q4 release, and the game lacked the treatment it needed.

Who knows what they'll add\do.

Next IS fun though, especially Shadow.

Side-note, off-topic:

And I thought I was the only Missourian on this board. Sweet. I can drive about a half hour to your house and give you a wedgie.

@Shadix:

Regarding patches...HAY GUESS WHAT?! Don't you love it when a $60 console game doesn't work properly? And don't you really, really love it when you have to wait a month after release before it's fixed? Just delay it and release the final product. The only console patches I approve of are ones that expand gameplay/replay value/fix minor bugs.

On-topic: I'm watching more gameplay footage and I'm really liking the look of it everytime I watch a video.

Again, another Missourian right here.

Anyway, Sega is probably working very hard to polish it up. They RUINED Sonic's name with the Sonic 2K6 game. I mean, I loved it, but no major reviewers did (It wasn't Zelda or an M rated first person shooter, so it was screwed). I thought it was MUCH better than SA2, even though still not as good as the first Sonic Adventure. The story didn't pull me in as much, it seemed like everything happened too quickly.

This game looks fun as a little side game, though. People probably won't see it as a main game in the series, but fun is all that matters in the end. Maybe if it does well they will make more games like it.

Again, another Missourian right here...I mean, I loved it, but no major reviewers did (It wasn't Zelda or an M rated first person shooter, so it was screwed).

That logic makes no sense. You can suck a duck. A lot of non-Zelda/FPS games get good scores. Generalize, much?

The only way you can look cool to me now is if you recite the Missouri National Anthem.

I always thought this game held tons more potental than "Sonic Next" did, simply because after you got past the graphics, Sonic Next was no different than any other adventure. Same thing, worse engine, better graphics.

This game will most likely pose more fun than Sonic Next, but the problems i see that are already evident will most likely prevent it from being as good as SA-SA2 :

-Although the game does have multiple paths, the stages still feel linear. Sonic seems to stay on one plane throughout the level unless the whole level changes height level for him.

-No slopes. No Loops. Not Sonic. The main reason i give Sonic Heroes so much credit is because that was teh first sonic game to have Genesis Sonic-Type slopes in it. (from curves, to loops, to 90 degree ramps.) This game could also be set up SO much better due to the fact it only has 2 directions. For instance, it would be awesome if tilting the controller far foward would actully make sonic go into a Roll, increasing his speed down slopes and up ramps.

-This is the ONLY game that could SUCESSFULLY recreate one of the old Genesis Title levels due to its setup, but they dont seem to be taking that route. They seem to be taking the "LOOK HOW FAST IM GOING" route like they took with sonic next, and if they keep doing so their games will only get worse.

-The booster. Just like in sonic rush, its awesome to look at, but at the end of the day its nothing but Chaos Control from Shadow the Hedgehog revamped to look less lame. Anyone who played sonic rush knows that playing without the boost is tons more fun than playing with it.

-Sonic runs on his own. Just like in Sonic Riders, it makes going different paths hard.

-Even if the levels are really , really long, its still going to get repetitive if there are only 1 or 2 paths in the whole level. It would be cool if while running down an open path (like in that grassy/forest level) you could turn left or right and fall down onto another path or jump upwards into an upper path, but it seems like their being way too "safe" with their rails. If all i can do with moving left / right is dodge obsticles and gather rings, this game wont last very long.

-No slopes. No Loops. Not Sonic. The main reason i give Sonic Heroes so much credit is because that was teh first sonic game to have Genesis Sonic-Type slopes in it. (from curves, to loops, to 90 degree ramps.) This game could also be set up SO much better due to the fact it only has 2 directions. For instance, it would be awesome if tilting the controller far foward would actully make sonic go into a Roll, increasing his speed down slopes and up ramps.

Where do these facts come from? Please, I'd like you to back this up for me, so I don't call you a total muppet. Where did you find out that this game has no loops?