A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Slingerland

Slingerland

The ideas are good, but that alone isn't enough for a good boss. You could've done better with them.

And to hit him all you have to do is continuously jump up. It takes no skill to hit the boss. A boss that requires fewer hits but takes more skill (or time) to attack is a lot better than a boss that you can keep jumping up at. Even Green Hill's boss, despite always being within reach on the platforms, was not able to be hit all the time due to the swinging ball.

But it doesn't need to be perfect anyway, this is a christmas gift after all. Thank you santa <3

Emerald Hill Zone?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's definitely a unit of distance, not a unit of acceleration.

The acceleration is a magnitude wich tells us the variation of speed given in a relation between space and time. In this case, the acceleration of Sonic is 0.04768 pixels/frame.

Anyway, you made a bridge routine? I'd be interested on how you made it.

The acceleration in genesis Sonic games is 0.04768 pixels, so it isn't slower than the original games.

Playing both Sonic 2 and this back-to-back says you're wrong, somehow. Acceleration in Sonic 2 is just as I always remember it, but whenever I boot this game up - it feels slow. You calculated wrong or you're missing a finer detail somewhere.

Playing both Sonic 2 and this back-to-back says you're wrong, somehow. Acceleration in Sonic 2 is just as I always remember it, but whenever I boot this game up - it feels slow. You calculated wrong or you're missing a finer detail somewhere.

It's not calculated wrong since I got the value from The Taxman, and backuped that from the S2 Disassembly. There are, however, other reasons while it would feel slow:

a) MMF works at 50 fps, this might be a cause for you to find it slow. At 60 fps it looks almost the same on flat ground.

B) The top speed on flat ground used by this game.

c) Slope deceleration, I don't really know the value for these, but I guess it's around Sin(Angle)*0.2...

d) You're playing the emulator at full screen or 2x window xD It gives the sensation of being faster than on a 320x224 window.

Edit 2: On a final note, the values for this have been adapted from 60 to 50, so it won't really feel the same, but I assure you I've used the S2 values in the GM, and playing both Sonic 2 and this at the same time, the speed and gravity feel the same.

Edit 3: Also, if you need other general values, you can check them out here. Any value subpixel value provided, divide it by 256 to obtain the decimals.

Actually Xoram, the acceleration is 0.046875 pixels per frame or 12/256 (since the MD games use fixed point)

My guess is that even though MMF2 has 60fps now, it's still not silky smooth (at least i haven't found it to be) so that would have an effect on the experience. Not only that, but in the MD Sonic games work differently to the 360 engines. In the MD games, each 16x16 tile that the player collides with has it's own angle that will alter the accelleration value. In a 360 engine, this angle is calculated by sensors, so the angle change is more constant and smooth.

In my opinion this is much more akin to Sonic cd than the megadrive games.

Something does seem a little off though, like being able to run up a wall a bit too easily maybe, But it's nothing worth worrying about.

This is probably the best example of Sonic fangame making ive ever seen. Nice one :)

Also if I go near any flashing tiles (like right at the start) the framerate is really slow.

Also you can get really smooth scrolling on mmf2 if you turn vsync on, set display mode to 'standard' and framerate to 60 (but it sometimes is too much to handle)

Thank you for your compliments. Congrats on figuring out that the physics are more akin to Sonic CD. Bonus points. Can you tell me where these flashing tiles you're talking about are? I don't remember putting flashing tiles in Emerald Hill.

Also you can get really smooth scrolling on mmf2 if you turn vsync on, set display mode to 'standard' and framerate to 60 (but it sometimes is too much to handle)

You did already read the post about me using MMF 1.5 demo right? I kind of figured that MMF2 was better, but I don't think Nexus is ready for port.

Vsync would only ruin framerate on old computers, you'll get smoother results if it's off (but sometimes the screen would appear shredded).