A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How To Game Game Play Faster In GM?

Zonar Games

I'm trying to figure out ways to make game play much more smooth using GM 6.1. I already know about deactivating objects when not in the view or using tiles for the level gfx. But I need to know other ways to make gameplay run at a much higher FPS. I'm making a Sonic fan game using Damizean's engine and I was thinking more along the lines of using a 2D level builder and somehow import those levels into the game but the only problem just thinking about it is that Damizean's engine uses layers and other stuff so I don't know if you can import those into a level made with a level builder. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think this is a important topic for people who is trying to make a fan game and uses GM.:confused:

- Zonar

Hey Sonic Time here & thought I would give you a couple of tips.

1. You should not have to many things in Game Maker 6.1 or it will slow down very bady:mad: so be very careful about that.

2. The game might run faster if you would stick to making a small Sonic Fan Game OK see ya!

Sonic Time Out!!!!!!!

Hey guys, DJ HBridj on the air! To kick things off tonight, I wanted to let you guys know that I just got a TON of RAM for my computer, not to mention a new 64-bit Dual Core Processor and a cluster of video cards! I know I just bored you guys for a second, so we're going to pass some time with the newest hit single by Fall Out Boy, "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race!"

Hey guys, DJ HBridj on the air! To kick things off tonight, I wanted to let you guys know that I just got a TON of RAM for my computer, not to mention a new 64-bit Dual Core Processor and a cluster of video cards! I know I just bored you guys for a second, so we're going to pass some time with the newest hit single by Fall Out Boy, "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race!"

Forgot one thing...

DJ HBridj Out!!!!!!

Back on topic:

Anybody has any more solutions?

Game Maker Forums has extensive threads about this topic:

http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=189532

http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=190387

Anyways, here's some stuff I picked up:

* Deactivate objects when they're not in use.

* Multitask your objects:

-- Use a few controllers for background processes

-- Use a few large room tiles instead of several smaller ones.(**)

* Crop all your sprites.

* Turn off "precise collision checking" for sprites that won't be used in a collision check.

* Avoid doing the following:

-- Putting code in the Draw Event.(**)

-- Doing A.I computations every step - use an alarm.

-- Doing programming loops every step - such as while(), for(), or repeat() - unless necessary.(**)

More later...

Or you could just not use Dami's engine... seeing as it rapes CPU like no one's business.

(**): @DW.

Dami's parallax effects tend to kill frame rate. Did you get rid of the parallax? If parallax causes a drop of 50% or so, you just want to get rid of that crap and do it over again.

Oh yeah it does I tryed using it and it ran pretty slow. But it's not that bad unless its in fullscreen mode. I tested the Sonic Dash engine in Windowed and it ran ok.

Hey y'all! Spike here, to deliver you the daily new updates for gaming goodness! Hold on, we've got a caller on line 1!

" Hello? SFGHQ "

Why yes, it is! And you are caller number 11! Do you have any advice on how to game games faster?

" Oh, yeah, umm... Try deactivating things outside of the view! "

Ha ha! Yes, that is the correct answer! Well dudes, I guess thats it for todays show! Tune in tommorrow for sixty seven straight hours of aweful Green Day ****!

Spike, out!!!!

Hey y'all! Spike here, to deliver you the daily new updates for gaming goodness! Hold on, we've got a caller on line 1!

" Hello? SFGHQ "

Why yes, it is! And you are caller number 11! Do you have any advice on how to game games faster?

" Oh, yeah, umm... Try deactivating things outside of the view! "

Ha ha! Yes, that is the correct answer! Well dudes, I guess thats it for todays show! Tune in tommorrow for sixty seven straight hours of aweful Green Day ****!

Spike, out!!!!

Zonar Games here just saying thats probally the best thing I'm gonna have to do, I've already deactivated some stuff and I need to finish this task before the end of the day. So in the mean time I got this new Ludacris so check this out and I'll be back. PEACE!!!!

ZONAR GAMES IS OUT THE F***ING BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go over your code again. If it's poorly done, chances are you may not realise it until you look at it in that light. Try simplifying things, using fewer variables, getting it to check and set variables less often, etc. It had a fairly marked effect for me, but then my code was hideously inefficient to begin with. Couldn't say for you.