A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 **DEMO** Try it!

Spike

Hey. As you probably don't know, this is my fangame I have been working on for a while now. I know, overused name. Get over it.

sonic4logo.PNG

DOWNLOAD HERE

MIRROR LINK

Title: Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Players: 1 (As of now)

Format: .Exe file inside a .Rar file

Filesize: 15MB

Characters: Sonic, Knuckles, Tails

Levels in demo: 1 Zone with 3 acts and 2 bosses

Non-Obvious instructions:

To get into a special stage, find a blue ring (Randomly generated around the level) and take it to a special stage entrance (Looks like a continue pole, but different and hidden).

Mission in a special stage: Get 10 rings. You will then turn yellow, and you can attack Egg-Robo. Hit him 5 times within the time limit to win the emerald.

Screenshots:

sonic4screen1.PNG

Sonic gameplay

sonic4screen2.PNG

Slopes

sonic4screen3.PNG

Tails fighting first boss

sonic4screen4.PNG

Rivals and such

sonic4screen5.PNG

Act 3 boss

sonic4screen6.PNG

Special stages

Stuck on a boss?

On the act 1 boss, when the pipe drops a bomb, jump on the bomb so that you can reach him. Be careful that the bomb doesn't explode while you are on it.

On the act 3 boss, just hit him.

Any comments, feedback? It's all welcome here. Enjoy!

UPDATE ( Dec 21 2006 ):

Fixed some minor glitches with Knuckles' climbing, made rings bouce more softly, fixed other little graphical issues, made special stage floor cooler, and yes rael, I even cut the grass. Added a mirror link.

• Like 1

Haven't played it yet, this is judging by screenshots—the green and yellow squares that make up the main ground are horrendous. The grass is nice, although the bright yellow at the very top seems a tad strong. I'd make the yellow part a bit shorter. The special stage looks nice, though you need more depth in the ground for it to look 3D. Have the squares get thinner vertically as it goes back and it'll look much better.

Despite the cosmetic ugliness in places, the game is looking good. I'll download it and tell you what I think of the gameplay.

Despite whether you think we should get over it, the name has been used before you and unless you have permission to use it from them you should respectively change the name. Sucks, but it's fair.

Plus if you're mostly colourblind I commend you on your efforts sir, you've done a reasonable job.

Okay I just downloaded it and I already have a problem. After waiting for ages for it to load, it got through the title screen and I got to the load screen and whatever sound format you've chosen completely raped my sound card. It froze and then took me ten minutes to close.

What I fear the most is that this may have just been my computer, but still if it happens to someone else it should be looked into.

So far it has only happened to you. I think your computer might have the loading problem too, it doesn't take it much time at all to load for me. The sound format is just regular .mp3s and .wavs, too.

(I've been using the name for years, I've been starting over on this multiple times since GM4. Before any 360 engines, just a modified platform engine)

I updated.

I fixed some minor glitches with Knuckles' climbing, made rings bouce more softly, fixed other little graphical issues, made special stage floor cooler, and yes rael, I even cut the grass. I also added a mirror link for those who get speed issues on my website.

Amazing game spike. Looks like I have a lot a work to do if I'm going to make anything as nice as that in Turbo 2, looking forward to the full version.

EDIT: It's alittle hard to get use to at first but it's very stable, great music and the enemies are amusingly annoying, keep up the good work.

Did you pause the game? Controls have freaked out for me before after I'v paused it. Other than that, do you know what happened to cause that?

To the one guy, the bombs kill you when you have rings and stuff because they are heavy, and squishing you.

And to TRD and Epon, thank you.

Right-o. Switched computers and tried it again. Very good so far. Graphical implements are alright, except I have a few minor things. For one, the title screen. Great music, works well except I think that maybe if the background for the clouds could be softer and more blended it would work better. Now the first level is alright, but I think the colours are a bit abraisive to look at for a long time, blended more again might be better.

Now about the coding..

Those flying bug things (forgot the name) that were in Sonic 1 have horrible natures. I was playing as Knuckles and I got to a really high point and glided across a part of the level. Three layers of them followed me. They were all underneath me and they keep at the exact same speed as me, so as soon as I touched ground, a million balls of energy completely destroyed me with no chance of me surviving. Make them slightly slower than you and it'll work perfectly.

Plus the act 1 boss is a bit annoying. To solve it, make the bomb dispencer slightly slower than you again, which will make it a bit easier and you wont die as soon as you get hurt either.

Aside from that, you're on the right track. Well done.

No just that the thing that drops them not follow you with exact speed. Make it have to catch up to you a little.

Oh also those small grey rocks and the big yellow ones look a bit weird against the background. I suggest trying a rock sprite like the ones in Angel Island zone from Sonic 3. Those would fit in perfectly. Other than that, I'm following this project for sure. Keep it up, it's great dude.

I ran the .exe and my computer looked like it was trying to load something, but then stopped. Checking my active processes, it was there, but no window came up. I'm guessing this was done in gm6? ;-;

btw about the buzzbomber problem, maybe you should disable them off screen?

I ran the .exe and my computer looked like it was trying to load something, but then stopped. Checking my active processes, it was there, but no window came up. I'm guessing this was done in gm6? ;-;

btw about the buzzbomber problem, maybe you should disable them off screen?

I do believe that I had this problem on my slower computer. You need to wait for the GM loading screen to come up. If you just keep clicking it the game will come up eventually, but when you close it the game will just keep loading continually.

If you computer isn't the fastest around, wait a bit.

You should change the title of the game from Sonic the hedgehoq 4 to something else because your game is not SO perfect to be called Sonic the hedgehog 4. Your game is rather good but first boss is UNCOMPLITABLE because after first bomb explosion (even if I'm not hurt by it) I can't control the game character and he dies. I also hate this texture of the level. I also hate this ugly black frame around badnics.

The game is rather well made but not perfect. Keep working.

You should change the title of the game from Sonic the hedgehoq 4 to something else because your game is not SO perfect to be called Sonic the hedgehog 4.

What the hell do you mean by that?! If he wants to name it Sonic the hedgehog 4, then let him, how can you honestly say that it's not good enough to be called that?

EDIT: It's been overused, (My cousin was going to use it too heh.) but your saying it doesn't deserve that title because the game not good enough.

You should change the title of the game from Sonic the hedgehoq 4 to something else because your game is not SO perfect to be called Sonic the hedgehog 4.

The game doesnt have to be perfect to be "4", Heroes didnt have to be completely perfect to don the subtitle "Heroes".

( haha I own the rights to legends haha haha haha )

You should change the title of the game from Sonic the hedgehoq 4 to something else because your game is not SO perfect to be called Sonic the hedgehog 4. Your game is rather good but first boss is UNCOMPLITABLE because after first bomb explosion (even if I'm not hurt by it) I can't control the game character and he dies. I also hate this texture of the level. I also hate this ugly black frame around badnics.

The game is rather well made but not perfect. Keep working.

It's a lot better than yours.

I don't know what is wrong with you on the first boss, that doesn't happen to me. Learn how to spell. The texture and the black outlines are staying. And believe it or not, I'm not changing the name! It's a fangame, I have no intention of calling Sonic my own or selling it, so what does it matter?

Evil laugh!