A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Windows Vista Ahoy

Epon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sereph:

No-one said there was anything wrong with XP, but if you dont feel like upgrading, whatever, thats your problem. I, too, used ME, and XP is good, but really, Vista looks alot more refined to me, more than graphics wise, but overall.

@Koray:

Yeah, I think I need to look into that, getting bored with something you know well.. sucks.

@Lightning:

Heh, youve got to start somewhere.

Oh, so you are saying they are more productive. But you aren't. Okay.

Do you have some mental block that keeps you from perceiving the difference between "Getting used to the operating system doesn't take long" and "Oh yes, the Adobe photo and video editing suite as well as all of my crazy music programs are far cooler on Mac than they are on Windows"?

Yah Epronz is right. Macs are MUCH more productive. All of you saying they are hard have spent like.. 10 minutes on one?

Yes, yes I have. They're very good. The desktop isn't a mess like Windows can be. However, I'm an not an artist. Plus, like I said, it's ugly. I was think about getting one for my dad. He does a lot of video editing stuff.

Uh... a Mac desktop can be every bit the mess a Windows desktop can be. Likewise, the Windows desktop can be every bit as clean as the Windows desktop can be.

And if video editing is your game, you don't get a new computer, you get new software. I'd think people would realize this.

Yes, I know. I've just never seen a mess Mac desktop. Besides, he was looking into Mac anyways.

hahahoh okay you were trying, good job =p

This is a point that comes up a lot and I should probably address it. Mac OS X is based on a version of BSD (I forget which), which makes it very secure by design. Unix-based operating systems (Linux, BSD, OS X, the list goes on) are built with security in mind. Windows, on the other hand, is a big lump of spaghetti-code in comparison. It's hard for a piece of malicious code to manifest itself in your computer or to spread without your explicit consent on most Unixes, while I'm sure everyone is familiar with the existence of many viruses (as well as Sony's rootkit) for the Windows platform that do just that without asking.

I guess what I'm getting at is that security through obscurity is not by any means the reason why Linux, Mac, BSD, etc. are free of viruses and such. The popularity of Windows isn't the only reason that malware is written for it; Windows just isn't cut out to protect itself from malicious code the same way that Unixes are.

To Microsoft's credit, they did rewrite a bunch of code for Vista rather than just adding on to their existing XP code--though much of that did get kept anyway.

I personally very much like Linux. There is just so much choice for the user: which distribution to use, which desktop environment to use, which software to install, etc., and most of the things available for Linux are free (as in "freedom," and often as in "free beer" as well). It's a liberating and educational experience =)

One thing that does bother me is the attitude of lots of people (it is most obvious during arguments of operating systems, but it shows up in other places too) that says "I don't know how to use this, so obviously it sucks." When you take the time to learn something different from what you are used to, even if the difference is subtle, you end up that much smarter. It's especially smart to be able to use a computer well almost regardless of its operating system.

Also, different tools for different jobs. A lot of the computer games on the market are written for the Windows platform, so if that's all you're after and you don't care much for the things at which Windows isn't so good, then by all means, use Windows. Mac computers are often hailed as being good for design and creative work due to the software available for them in this area. If that's what you're after, go ahead and use a Mac. Linux is a great system for developers and people who run servers, and BSD is a tank when it comes to security. Don't just take what you're spoon-fed by software companies; go out and give all the different things available an honest try and see which is best for you--you may find something you like more than what you've got =P

hi

Thanks for the common knowledge.