A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Windows Vista Ahoy

Epon

My college offers various Microsoft products to CS and SE majors, so Vista Business was up a few days ago. My comp needed a reformat soon anyway, so I went ahead and downloaded the ISO and installed it.

Ignoring all the naysayers, I went into this kinda blindly. I was familiar with beta's my friends had, but never fully screwed around with them. So being presented with a complete rearangment of things I'm so used to was quite a shock.

I'm still only like a day into the install, so I'll post more quirks and props as I go along. So far, it's running smooth, and this Dell is like 3 years old. If its performance keeps up the good job, looks like I won't need to go out and buy a new machine like I've been planning.

No compatability issues yet. And I simply love the Aero ____. No slowdown here and I'm not boasting any special graphics card (128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700).

Pimp.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vista, ever since it was Longhorn, sounds as if it was going to be damn good ( ive been watching it, 2 years now ). Although I dont have enough money to afford vista home premium ( I want Ultimate though, which is $$$>Life ), let alone starter or home basic, Im probably going to coax my grandmother into selling this 1400$ turned 400$ Piece-of-sheet-metal, and getting a XPS or Dimensions, since they have a damn sleek profile, and have reasonable specs.

Prefferably the ones my schools use ( HP Pavilion, forgot which model, already capable for vista ).

---

Vista is godly for the previous versions feature alone.

My dad got my a Dell Inspiron for graduation with a bunch of extra doo-dads and crap, saying it'll still be good 4 years from now when I graduate from College. Then he'd tell me about Vista and stuff.

I know nothing about it really, but hey, if I'm ever in a situation where I'd get it for free, I'd probably install it or whatever.

So, you are saying that Vista is a totally worth-the-money and valuable operating system because.. it supports DX10? Wow, I like graphics but not that much. It's WinServ2k3 with DX10, AMAZING. Truly worth 5 years and 10,000 employees. Really. They did so much.

Oh and just to let you know, you do get taxed for those "bundled" copies. Quite a bit in fact. Take a picture of you clicking the "I do not accept" on the EULA and then a picture of the machine running linux and the manufacturer (dell et al) should refund you a couple hundred dollars.

I didn't say it was worth the money, the time, or anything else. I said that it doesn't completely lack new features. And also, if you are paying 650 dollars (or hell, twice that is possible) for a direct X 10 graphics card, it might actually be worth having Vista. Its all about audience at this point.

And have you ever honestly heard of someone doing what you just said?

@Koray: Vista looks NOTHING like Mac OSX.

And just to make tihs perfectly clear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_features_in_Windows_Vista

EDIT: I really dont give a rats ass its similar to windows server 03, Ive never run it, so I wouldnt know. Vista is a step up for me, even if it isnt all that great, its probably better than what I have now.

( besides, I can probably just run Ubuntu w/ Beryl or something similar like that to acheive the same effects vista has, no biggie. )

Regardless of our opinion on the OS, we're going to have to use it as it will become standard in the coming years, whether we want it to or not... THe problem with the hate it's been recieving is that Microsoft can't market to the average user the backend features since for the most part, they don't understand even what a kernel basically is... Try explaining a network stack to them... ... ... The GUI/improved security/performace arguments is all they can do...

Me personally, have tried an older beta, tested it on a Hell 600M (2.0Ghz P-M 512 DDR, 64MB ATI M9000) so I couldn't use full aero (not that I cared). As far as features are concerned, there are a lot of them those most are in the backend/invisible to the average user, there are a lot of things added/changed/replaced/redone... Performance was pretty much what you'd expect from a fresh XP install. I didn't use it long enough to have it deteriorate (Installed Kanotix to mess with XGL on that partition) so I can't comment on that... The GUI, in what I dub 'XP' mode is decent. Fades and a more interesting progressbar (though my KDE one is better...) and other little touches make the system a bit nicer to use than the xp one.. And having the search bar in the start menu is a nice touch...Overall, I liked it to some extent, it was an improvement over XP in most cases...

Overall, if you buy a new PC with it installed on it, you won't hate it... Unless you're a bigger Microsoft rebel/Linuxhead than I am...

Better than XP? Seeing that they improved kernel algorithms (constant time comming from a once linear algorithm is a great improvement), fixed performance issues, and added many features/rewrites in order to support future hardware, then yes... But it doesn't seem to be worth the effort to upgrade old machines, unless it's a very recent one...

Put it this way:

Its BETTER than XP, and no, its not all flashy freaking graphics. it itself warrants a bit of interest.

Some of the software isn't compatible with Longhorn/Vista.:stare: SUre, the GUI looks nice, but then again, there's always WindowsBlinds or Style XP. XD

Doesn't it have a new filesystem integrated too? I heard that the files work more like a database now and that the drive system of organization was thrown out.

My only fear with Vista still is the DirectX "legacy" support. I heard they decided not to use the WinFX thing, so OGL is safe, but I dunno about DX.

It probably isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, I remember it took me a long time to hop onto the XP bandwagon because I went by word of ear that 98SE was still the best version of Windows, which I had been running, and that XP sucked. I dunno what possessed them to think that though since XP is WAYYY more stable than 98.