A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Restoring corrupt GM6 files?

Spike

I could use a backup from yesterday, But today being a day off, I practically added another 33% to my game. Oh well, looks like I have no choice.

The sound is an issue because GM has problems handling large sound files. I wish I would have known that beforehand.

I could use a backup from yesterday, But today being a day off, I practically added another 33% to my game. Oh well, looks like I have no choice.

The sound is an issue because GM has problems handling large sound files. I wish I would have known that beforehand.

Yeah that sucks man, but at least all of it isn't destroyed, might I make a suggestion? I use a 256MB flash drive to store my current work on there just to make sure something similar to your problem happens, I put it on there every time I close my MMF. Hmm, I wonder If there is a way to tell my computer to save my applications every 30-minutes or so, maybe you should try that, of course if you have a flash drive.

I have had the exact same problem, and a few months ago I was afraid that Sonic Xcel was lost. Game Maker is not exactly renowned for being able to handle MP3 files particularly well, due to the MP3 format being compressed by definition, and a large MP3 can corrupt the game file (this was my final motivation for externally storing my sound files; check the 'Chaos!' thread in General Fangame Discussion for my solution). However, all is not lost; there was a thread on the Game Maker forums in which corrupted files could be recovered. If only the sound file had corrupted the game, then the rest of the file (ie. everything except the sound files) can quite possibly be recovered. The creator of the program seemed open to taking individual game files and recovering them (he did it for me, with perfect results), so you could ask him if he would be kind enough to do the same for you (assuming the program can't help you; it can struggle, given that it's not a professional piece of programming. I'll still find the download link for you).

http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=200148

There's the topic. I'm Phil_T on the thread, if you were wondering.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There has to be at least one back up file that should have been saved before you loaded the sfx. Because the samething happened to me over the summer. Also use a mp3 player/flash drive to store your work on it. I know how you feel man hope you get it working again. Also the sfx must be corrupted or can't be opened by GM.