A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chaos!

MSUK

It depends on how you like things. From what I understand, GameMaker has more potential (especially in 3D), and it's way of coding is closer to a real programming language (like C++).

MMF2, on the other hand, is more visually oriented. The Clickteam line of products have been staples at SFGHQ since Day One.

Your best bet is to download a demo of MMF2, and see how you like it.

Game Maker can achieve better results in the hands of experts ( points to dami ), but MMF2 in my oppinion is a much easier program to use.

Edit: Darn, I had the posted typed a minute before USC's but then I started doing something else and forget to send it. Anyway, basically what USC said is what I'm saying. =P

• 3 weeks later...

Ok! just taking a moment to tell you horrible people(kidding) about demo 2 of chaos!

1. The mp3s will be loaded externally! i dont know how i will do it, but i'll find a way.

2. chaos might have gun to show his badassness! like shadow! i'm not promising this though.

3. Big bosses for mission 1 and 2 like those very big metal things you see in metal slug series.

This demo will be a drastic improve from the other one and i hope to get more better feedback from it.

Until then, watch out for the download link.

1) Put the files in the folders you want. At the start of the game (or whenever you want to load the sound file into the game's memory), write this:

global.sound_file=sound_add(working_directory+"\whatever_folders_it_is_stored_in\name_of_file.mp3",3,0);
[/CODE]

Then simply call global.sound_file whenever you want to use it.

2) Chaos has loads of techniques in Sonic Battle - I'd use them instead.

3) Big bosses always kick ass.

1. Thanks for that. They are now going to be loaded externally to kill the loading time.

2. You mean his fighting techniques? good idea. Would it sound stupid to make a chaos/metal slug mix? i mean like chaos has bombs and guns at his use. I don't want to make the same mistake as shadow the hedgehog(God,no.) Obviously not the soldiers otherwise that would be copying. Im just thinking that i could swipe some of the things marco does.

3. VERY VERY VERY VERY WELL SAID. You seen the bosses you get in metal slug titles? they are huge and challenging. am i correct?

• 1 month later...

Yeah Slingerland why did you type that for? just posting to update that i have updated chaos. Mission 1,2,3,4 and 5 have all been created. All that is left is to make chaos final mission which will be ultra ultra ultra hard so be careful. I have updated the lives to five because it would be way to hard to complete a whole game with just 3(trust me, i tried and failed on mission 2 boss miserably!) the final release date, the proper actual definatley come out, is febuary 23rd. (I know i have to change my banner now. grr!) Otherwise expect it to come earlier.

1) Put the files in the folders you want. At the start of the game (or whenever you want to load the sound file into the game's memory), write this:

global.sound_file=sound_add(working_directory+"\whatever_folders_it_is_stored_in\name_of_file.mp3",3,0);
[/CODE]

Then simply call global.sound_file whenever you want to use it.

2) Chaos has loads of techniques in Sonic Battle - I'd use them instead.

3) Big bosses always kick ass.

old post from gradient, but, what is global sound? i tell you what, a little explanation isnt gonna help me, because i havent looked at GML twice, lol. You're gonna have to get back to me with a step by step explanation because i admit myself, i can make a cup of tea while it loads and i'm not even kidding =)

P.S i have a really big tank that is 186ft that chases you in mission 4 but i don't think fighting it isnt gonna be any good, so chaos just runs away. (wink wink)

Say you have a variable, called 'sound' for the sake of argument. If it is prefixed with 'global.', that means it's a variable that any object in the game can read. Usually variables are restricted to the object they're created in; global variables aren't restricted to one object and are persistant even if you destroy objects, change rooms etc. They are perfect for letting the game know what level or character it should load up, for example.

To use that code, do the following:

1) Open My Computer, find the folder with the game in. If there isn't one, make a folder and drop the GML file in.

2) Create a new folder, call it soundfiles, or whatever you want it to be.

3) Place all your music files in there, preferably using some sort of abbreviated system to name them, for ease (ghz_act1 for Green Hill Zone act 1, say).

4) To load that sound into the game, you would write:

global.level_music=sound_add(working_directory+"\soundfiles\ghz_act1.mp3",3,0);[/CODE]

You need the speech marks in there, so the game knows it is looking at a string of text, and 'working_directory' means it will look in the folder the game is stored in. The last few numbers simply relate to what type of sound it is.

When you load the music for the level, remember that most of the time it'll slow the game down badly for a moment; you may want to consider having a loading screen that stays up for a few seconds, in which you use that code to load the right music for the upcoming level; that'll give it time to get the inevitable slowdown out of the way.