A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chaos Planet | Demo 1 Released

MrKsoft

A few people might remember this fangame I was doing and know that it sucked. Well, I tried again. I think it's better this time and much more Sonicy.

So... behold SONIC CHAOS PLANET! A hopefully to-be-completed fangame with a classic experience!

PLANNED ZONES

1. Radical Rainforest

2. Techno Terror

3. Crazy Cityscape

4. Aquatic Addiction

5. Volcanic Vent

6. Desolate Desert

7. Hellish Headquarters

8. Space Shrine

SCREENSHOTS (I bet you skipped down to these, right? =P)

scpv23tq2.png

Standing somewhere, showing the increased detail to the levels. Taken in windowed mode for some reason.

scpv23dz8.png

Boasting my foreground parralax.

scpv24md5.png

Looping fun.

scpv25zw9.png

A level gimmick for Robotnik's Refinery: the conveyor belt.

New as of Sept. 3:

scpv26gb3.png

Loopity dizziness.

scpv27wq8.png

I have layered levels now so you can pass through other bits of it. See, here we're on the bottom level...

scpv28ed9.png

...and now we're on the top. Basically, this is where two paths merge into one. (They split again later on, so I'm NOT being lazy. =P)

scpv29mw7.png

"Hmm, which way do I go now?"

scpv210zm6.png

Boing!

scpv211gt1.png

Wheeee! More of that layering.

NEW SCREENSHOTS NOVEMBER 10:

scptt21pg8.png

Lulz, act 2 w/ gimmicks.

scptt23lg5.png

New trap thing of sorts.

scptt26id5.png

Yay, boss. Simplistic one, though.

DOWNLOADING:

Demo 1. (Alternate Link) Contains the second zone, Techno Terror.

C+C, praise, and anything else is accepted and appreciated.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great. Sucks that the link isn't working at the moment. Don't know when I'll get the change to see it again.

Also I'm confused. I always thought the backgrounds that use the paralax effect was simply called backgrounds, the ground you walk on is called foreground, and things in front of you is called super-foreground. Is it really considered differently?

You're right. I just said something different.

Well, my hosting was up for a minute. Then it went down again. Curse my host for not warning me ahead of time.

WORST. RELEASE TIME. EVER. X_X

Oh, as I write this it's up. Give it 5 minutes and it'll be down again. But you could try.

Sorry but I can't see the download link.

The only I see related to your game is:

File details:

File Name: SCP_Demo1.zip

Size: 4.53 MB

Description: Sonic Chaos Planet Demo 1

And A LOT OF ADVERTISING.

Edit: Ok. I've finally found the download link. Dut it was hard to find it. Use rapidshare or something but NOT this hosting

All right, I fixed that nasty save game bug, which was actually caused by having a fade in for the game level. Probably some generic MMF bug.

I reuploaded the fixed demo, and we have a better alternate link now (Thanks LarkSS)

*prays it'll work this time*

This has been a pretty disastrous release. =P

So, it works now. =D

I get a saddening 6-8 fps, regardless though I played it through so here's my comments and such.

Pros

-I liked your music. It fit the game rather nicely.

-Scenery and such was done rather well. Good job.

-Sonic has all his basic moves, including the slash. Regarding the slash though, since the fps was so low I was able to see that you're missing a few frames for the animation. I could give them to you if you'd like.

-I thought the level design was ok, but it's hard to tell with the slow game play.

-The boss, as simplistic as it is, was rather nice, though he shot too frequently. ( might have been due to the slow speed as the laser ceiling guard shot too frequently too )

Cons

-Sonic shouldn't change direction based on the arrow button you've pressed, but based on his movement direction.

-I was running up a curve and there was an enemy sitting on the top of it. I doubt this was on purpose, but it would be nice to have it fixed.

-As stated before, FPS. D= It took half an hour to complete the demo. There has got to be a way to speed it up. I believe Slingerland had the same problem and fixed it by disabling animated backgrounds. I think it would also help to turn off Precise Collisions for objects that are rectangular or doesn't matter if you touch it or not.

-Badnik explosions and the lasers from the ceiling guard don't always appear. Consider raising your object limit if you haven't already.

-This was probably just because of my speed problem, but at the end of the act it would play the theme, add up my points, and then play the theme again before fading out.

-Not really a con, but Sonic doesn't move at the same speed the conveyor belts are moving at. Check how many pixels it moves in the animation and make Sonic move at the same speed.

That's all I got. It's a great game so far and I'd love to play it at the normal 60fps.

*quotereplytimewheeeee*

-I liked your music. It fit the game rather nicely.

Since I'm no composer, I ripped off Modarchive.com. Hey, it's not much different than the midi's everyone uses...

-Scenery and such was done rather well. Good job.

More credit to Blue Frenzy for that, as he made the general background. But I did make one or two pieces.

-Sonic has all his basic moves, including the slash. Regarding the slash though, since the fps was so low I was able to see that you're missing a few frames for the animation. I could give them to you if you'd like.

Since it went so fast I never noticed they were missing. Send them along.

-I thought the level design was ok, but it's hard to tell with the slow game play.

It is. Act 2 is a bit rushed though because I couldn't stand looking at this level much longer. >_<

-The boss, as simplistic as it is, was rather nice, though he shot too frequently. ( might have been due to the slow speed as the laser ceiling guard shot too frequently too )

Even though the game runs really slow, the timer events seem to go at the correct speed. So, yeah, it was because of the low fps.

Cons

-Sonic shouldn't change direction based on the arrow button you've pressed, but based on his movement direction.

Never fixed it. Last time I showed this here, everyone thought I should show that "moonwalk" as a feature. =P

-I was running up a curve and there was an enemy sitting on the top of it. I doubt this was on purpose, but it would be nice to have it fixed.

As stated in the readme, the enemies seem to randomly be jumping their boundaries. Yes, I've checked that they're both being disabled off screen.

-As stated before, FPS. D= It took half an hour to complete the demo. There has got to be a way to speed it up. I believe Slingerland had the same problem and fixed it by disabling animated backgrounds. I think it would also help to turn off Precise Collisions for objects that are rectangular or doesn't matter if you touch it or not.

Yeah, FPS has been a major problem but I have no clue how the hell to fix it. It worked at 60 fps through most of the development, until I added the object layout. Strangely, though, is that if I delete everything except Sonic and maybe one foreground piece (including the background) I can't get back above 30.

-Badnik explosions and the lasers from the ceiling guard don't always appear. Consider raising your object limit if you haven't already.

According to MMF, I'm about 2000 objects below my limit. Unless backdrops suddenly count.

-This was probably just because of my speed problem, but at the end of the act it would play the theme, add up my points, and then play the theme again before fading out.

Yep. I couldn't get it to stop looping so I added a huge bit of silence to the end. However, the silence must have run out.

-Not really a con, but Sonic doesn't move at the same speed the conveyor belts are moving at. Check how many pixels it moves in the animation and make Sonic move at the same speed.

I guess I never bothered to go back and redo it more accurately, like I thought I did.

Since it went so fast I never noticed they were missing. Send them along.

Download Slash Animations

( If someone reading this topic decides to download and use them, give me credit please. I ripped them myself. )

Even though the game runs really slow, the timer events seem to go at the correct speed. So, yeah, it was because of the low fps.

Maybe you ought to consider using a value within the object that adds using an always event. Seeing as your game is supposed to be 60fps, that means every time it adds up by 60 is 1 second.

According to MMF, I'm about 2000 objects below my limit. Unless backdrops suddenly count.

No, they don't, and that's strange then. =/

Yep. I couldn't get it to stop looping so I added a huge bit of silence to the end. However, the silence must have run out.

Meh, slow fps reveals quite a bit, doesn't it?

I guess I never bothered to go back and redo it more accurately, like I thought I did.

I probably only noticed it because of the slow speed. I only suggested it as it would make it much better.

When I first heard the laser sounds I began looking around for battle droids. :P

Sometimes however, the laser bolt would not appear, despite the sound was made. This is probably caused by being offscreen.

I didn't like the boss much, it looked very cool, but was a bit too simple for my liking.

It was only the first boss, it should get harder later on.

Sorry, if I made myself unclear, but I meant that it was too simple. Ie, just flying in a loop the same direction and shooting lasers isn't much fun. Maybe Eggman could stop at the other side and come back the other way shooting the lasers in that direction.

Oh, and I love the ring loss, looks very cool.

Well, it works at 27-30 FPS on my end. Would it be possible to have a version with MIS? I prefer to have some choppy frameskip than slowness as this :/

Edit: Oh my god, act 2 works at 16 FPS... Are you sure you're deactivating all the animated background actives or something? By the way, at this framerate, the boss fires the lasers way too many times, have you used the built-in timer events? Never do this, because it wouldn't work the same on different machines with different framerates. Unless you use Machine Independant Speed.

You beautiful man you left the moonwalk in there.

Very slow on my computer too. The lightning sheild part pissed me off. I got it, jumped on an enemy, and was propelled towards a laser thing. You should have some warning for those. Also, once I beat the level my time kept going up.

*I love the stage, great paralax and design.

*The slash attack was very cool looking.

*The lighting shield was nice too.

*Looping and slopes were cool too.

*The intro screen was very well put together.

Dislikes:

*The laser on the roof is annoying, when sonic gets trapped in a corner with that thing, it becomes a death trap.

*The FPS was very slow, but I'm sure your trying to fix that.

*The boss is, well it's O.K. but he shoots to fast and apparently the only way to kill him is to get behind him, not alot of strategy. Still a good boss though.

*For some reason no music played, I'm not sure if this was intentional like part of the demo or an error.

Overall-Score:

Even though this was a demo, I still had some fun playing it, like I said the stage design great! I need to find out how to do an advanced paralax like you had there.

Great work: 85%;)