A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chaos Planet | Demo 1 Released

MrKsoft

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon the double post, but I made a breakthrough.

It seems that if I disable "Handle Background Collisions Even Out Of Window", the game jumps back to 60 frames per second! =D

EDIT: Waitwaitwaitasec. This is really odd-- I accidentally closed it right after I changed that and opened it again, without setting the option back to off, and it still goes to 60 fps! IT FIXED ITSELF =O However, problems below (except the first) still apply.

Although, there are problems with that.

Firstly, all of my enemies depend on that. They're using the old "smart" AI method (platform movement + internal flags that make it go back and forth), for lack of me being able to program anything remotely intelligent. Obviously, disabling it makes them all fall through the floor unless they're on screen.

Secondly, the game still slows down to ~45 fps when I start moving. Unsure why, but as soon as I stop it zooms back up to 60 again. I suspected background parralax doing it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Third, it seems obvious now that my AI programming sucks. =P If anyone can help teach me proper AI coding or else become the AI programmer for SCP, contact me. Otherwise this game might suffer from boring.

I mean that I need enemies that don't just go back and forth.

EDIT: Odd, now the game is no longer going at 60 fps and I didn't change anything.

So I went into task manager. Turns out that the program only takes up 30% of the CPU, when the rest is not being utilized (System Idle Process = 70%, meaning 70% CPU free). How can I make it use the full CPU? That should get the framerate back.

1 step to improving the AI of the enemies is making all their events disable if they're off screen to prevent them from falling.

Passed that, you could do certain checks like if you're to the right of left of it or you distance from it and such so you can make different kinds of movements. For example the rhino enemy in sth3 Angel Island uses some positional checking such as that to know what it should do.

Btw, I never knew that it was even possible to make MMF handle background collisions off screen. I tried turning it on and it cuts my fps in half. ( Sucks since it would perfect my Player 2 AI. =< )

Well, I've got them set to be deactivated off screen. But either way, the AI is sucky, and whenever I do something that detects things... it doesn't work with more than one enemy. X(

Either way, I'm wondering why it only takes up 30% of the available CPU as the only program running. It's got a whole 70% more to utilize that it refuses to use...

Well, I've got them set to be deactivated off screen. But either way, the AI is sucky, and whenever I do something that detects things... it doesn't work with more than one enemy. X(

Deactivating them only works for built-in movement other than pathmovement, meaning you have to deactivate the actual events manually.

Either way, I'm wondering why it only takes up 30% of the available CPU as the only program running. It's got a whole 70% more to utilize that it refuses to use...

I'm not sure if its been ported over, but what about the AppPriority object?

It's been ported. However it just automates priority setting. Using WinXP's task manager to set the MMF2 runtime's priority to the stable maximum ("High") doesn't seem to make a difference.

I still find it odd, since MMF1 would always use all available CPU power.