A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A fun little analysis game of sorts...

DimensionWarped

"I want to see the world go upside down!"

Quoted for great justice.

And I agree things like that would work (where the hell have spikes gone since SA- possibly SA2 as well?). Still though, how do you sit a mech in front of me that's idiotic? At least the mechs, if nothing else, should be clever. It just doesn't make sense otherwise. It's like sitting a brand new computer in front of me, top of the line, and I try and run a rom of Sonic 3 and it explodes. It just doesn't make sense. Mechs are supposed to have some sort of higher AI or something.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I liked about the old sonic 2-D games is that when you collect all the chaos emeralds, you can turn into super sonic, or tails, or knuckles.

But in the 3-D versions, (Adventure 1 & 2 etc.) You can only transform in the final boss, or extra stages, plus collecting the chaos emeralds is part of the story so you don't have much of a choice.

I have no idea what this topic really is about.

TRD brings up an important point, the emerald factor played a part in the 2D games' originality and plot.

Without all the emeralds, you didnt have a good ending, and always got a teaser at the end of the game.

With the emeralds, you can go back in the game with a game save ( depending on the game ) and play as any of the characters, but with the ability to transform mid-stage and whatnot.

Yeah and the Chaos Emeralds have the ability to do everything now! not only can you harness great amount of energy, but you can even bend time and space and do time travel and all that shizzle too! Chaos Emeralds for you everyday household needs!

I wonder if Sonic Team remember certain gems called "Time Stones" and yes, I want less Chaos Emerald involves plots for once! use them for the good ending or something like that.

On Rails is just a guarantee that it won't be a Sonic game at all. Its not a question about whether they mess it up or not, its just a spinoff. Its like saying they can mess up the Mario platforming franchise by making Mario Party games.

The difference is that they manage to convince people that 3D Sonic games are still Sonic games when they aren't. They are just a speed oriented platformer with Sonic in them.

EDIT:

And Seraph, Sonic Rush really isn't that great. As I said, it is still lacking stuff at fundamental levels that the classic Sonic games have and the current Sonic games show no prospect of ever gaining.

Sonic Team could've made a grand re-use out of the time stones, but now they've kinda killed it now. Why use time stones when chaos emeralds do the same thing!

And I wanna know. where the hell did all the chaos shards come from. I know they aren't relevant to any of the game plots but still, wtf.

3D games lack the OOH WHAT LIES AHEAD IN THIS SIMPLE GAME feel, there's was always something new. Sonic games now have us guessing at plot, where we should be guessing where the next bonus ring is.

One thing I noticed is that Sega keeps adding new moves to sonic which aren't really needed or useful. Like that sliding kick he has in Sonic heroes or the advance games. Most of the time a simple spin dash would do. Speakin' of spin dash anyone notice how in Sonic rush the new boost thing has totally made the spindash obsolete? I hope Sonic and the secret rings will reedem sonic back to it's former glory....or at least a sequel to Sonic rush.

which reminds me. in sa2, for some reason, hitting an enemy whilst rolling would sometimes stop you. what's up with that?

And yes DW, I agree the time stones where a bit silly but if sonic team had used those for a plot device instead of the chaos emeralds, then they would be able to put the emeralds back into special stages. Sorta like Sonic Heroes actually.

The next step would be to have super sonic in levels. I imagine he'd play something like metal sonic did in sa, just faster and invincible.

One of the gems in Nextgen acts pretty much like the boost in Rush.

The boost function gave me a sick satisfaction with the speed in Rush, causing me to crave it when I wasen't able to be boosting around at top speed.

I think we need a reboot. Wipe the slate clean, pay attention to/take suggestions from your damned fanbase and just start the hell over. Heck, S3&K would be a great place to start being that Sonic Team likes having rival characters. Retell that story (which spanned two game cartridges for the win). Throw in SA's Adventure Fields and the humans. Throw in sexy women-friends for Sonic to partake in beastiality with. Make it so that this is the "first" time Sonic has ever faced Robotnik and no one knows him as a "Hero" yet. I think that'd be the best possible thing that could happen at this point. That is, assuming they actually listened to us which isn't going to happen 'cuz they know the community will buy their stuff no matter what.

... I'm tempted to write a fanfic or something now. :P

Klonoa: Not necessarily. You need to have your bar filled up. Sonic Team should've planned it out more and made it harder to fill up your bar (harder than going to the nearest vertical spring and hitting buttons 20x). That would've made you use the spindash a lot more and made you conserve the rush abilities for sections where your fighting an annoying badnik, shoving a block, or getting to a special stage. Not just to dash around a level like a mad man. The way rush was implemented proves that Sonic Team halfasses. It could've been a neat addition that didn't simply replace spindash, but they just kinda shoved it in there. I'll admit it- I like Rush. I like it because I Rush is as close as we'll probably ever get to a decent sidescrolling Sonic, so I pretty much accept it. And it is a better game than SAdv2, imo. Slide kicking would be incredibly useful for enemies that could only be attacked from underneath or sliding underneath doors (how you could tumble under a gate in SA2 never quite made sense to me).

One thing I noticed lately is the lack of snow/ice levels. Sure they had them in the advance games but recent 3d games haven't had them. I think Sonic and the secret rings might not be that good. Sure it looks cool but notice how you move forward automatically, this makes the game very linear, plus you don't have much control really, move left/right,homing attack, boost and that's kinda it right? I wonder what boss battles will be like? Sonic heroes/Sonic advance 2 style?

One thing I noticed lately is the lack of snow/ice levels. Sure they had them in the advance games but recent 3d games haven't had them. I think Sonic and the secret rings might not be that good. Sure it looks cool but notice how you move forward automatically, this makes the game very linear, plus you don't have much control really, move left/right,homing attack, boost and that's kinda it right? I wonder what boss battles will be like? Sonic heroes/Sonic advance 2 style?

...err... There was one in Next.

I don't think Sonic likes freezing his quills off.

Ice Cap was redone for SA, and there's a snow level in Next. In Wave Ocean you can run over water, however, I was watching a video jacked off of Sega's FTP and some guy died like 2 times in a row in that segment for no apparent reason. Not only was Sonic not moving as fast as you think it'd be requird to run across water, but he wasn't actually running- he was sliding along the water. That would create drag more than anything else (maybe why they have him moving so slow?). The way the player died made little sense. He was sliding along the water, they went around a bend at he hit the wall. He instantly sinks. Death. I guess touching the side of a wall (not running head-on into it, just grazing it) causes you to completely lose all momentum in less than a second. The second time makes even less, he's going around this same bend and gets close to the wall, from what I saw he didn't even graze it or anything, suddenly he's thrown downwards. Death. ::shrug::