A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Totally Belated Halloween Project Demo

BlazeHedgehog

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/Castlevania_demo.zip

5.67mb. Enjoy. I forgot a readme, so to control richter... well, if any of you have played Symphony of the Night, imagine that. No item crashes. If you haven't, well:

Button 1: Jump

Button 2: Whip

Up + Whip: Secodary Item (Dagger, Holy Water, Axe, etc.)

Down, Up + Jump: Uppercut Dash

Down + Jump: Slide (On the ground)

Down + Jump: Flying kick (In the air)

Double Jump: Backflip (at the height of a jump)

Dont put words in my mouth.

I never said you were mocking the engine did I? the post wasnt funny, and mocking it makes it only more annoying. The engine compliments were just to deter the fact that im posting to point out something you said, and made it somewhat revelant to the topic.

reasoning is in here.

and my name isnt melody, its Midiman. I really though that you could READ but then again since you read my post without though, I guess I was wrong.

And besides, Midiman is a cooler name than Draco Icebane, you sound like a 3rd party furry :\

( if you cant read that either, thats a freaking JOKE )

triple-edit: my names Midiman, there is no other abbreviation other than Midi, I guess you dont know much about the english language.

What the heck is wrong with you? seriously.

all the crap I just posted above your post was just a joke, calm down.

and why are you sitting?

and how can you wussy slap over the internet.

and how would you know if I pissed my pants in the first place.

and I know you mocked a post, I was just messing with you.

If you havent been around lately ( I assume you used to lurk around as a guest, like everyone else? ), I f*ck with anyone with a postcount under 50.

EDIT: your obviously not reading this post, so ill take this time to say this:

Its a freaking initiation, get used to it

Getting back on topic...

That demo was great. I enjoyed it. =D As the others said, great use of alpha transparency.

I'm curious to how you managed to get the alpha transparency to appear behind the ground without it messing up. I know you're using MMF2 and I'm talking about MMF, but I'm not sure how MMF2 does it and if its similar I'd love to know how you got it behind backdrops without it flashing in front of everything as the screen moved.

Also, I noticed that after beating the demo once and playing it again, entering the cave caused a glitch where the boss was already activated and I appeared right before it. Going to the place where you fight it, it was gone. Kinda strange.

Edit: You know those blocks that appear to keep you from leaving the boss? They don't seem to stop the player. I can just walk right on through them.

I'm curious to how you managed to get the alpha transparency to appear behind the ground without it messing up. I know you're using MMF2 and I'm talking about MMF, but I'm not sure how MMF2 does it and if its similar I'd love to know how you got it behind backdrops without it flashing in front of everything as the screen moved.

MMF2 has a layering system similar to Photoshop (and most other modern paint programs). In my Castlevania engine, I have specific layers for HUD, glowing objects, the level itself, and the background.

One complaint I have that kind of frusterates me is that layers don't cross-collide. Objects on Layer 1 collide ONLY with Layer 1, etc.

Also, I noticed that after beating the demo once and playing it again, entering the cave caused a glitch where the boss was already activated and I appeared right before it. Going to the place where you fight it, it was gone. Kinda strange.

Heh, oops. Global value problem. :P

Edit: You know those blocks that appear to keep you from leaving the boss? They don't seem to stop the player. I can just walk right on through them.

Odd. It used to work! Like, when I first wrote the events for it and stuff. Hm.

MMF2 has a layering system similar to Photoshop (and most other modern paint programs). In my Castlevania engine, I have specific layers for HUD, glowing objects, the level itself, and the background.

That sounds spiffy. MMF has an extension but bugs out when going behind backdrops. Maybe I should switch over soon....

One complaint I have that kind of frusterates me is that layers don't cross-collide. Objects on Layer 1 collide ONLY with Layer 1, etc.

Would it be possible to copy one layer to another that you want to collide with but make it invisible and have it always position itself to the layer you copied it from, so that way you can have a layer that displays it and another layer that it shares with what you want it to collide with but its invisible so two won't be drawn? ( That was hard to explain yet I still did a very bad job. )

Would it be possible to copy one layer to another that you want to collide with but make it invisible and have it always position itself to the layer you copied it from, so that way you can have a layer that displays it and another layer that it shares with what you want it to collide with but its invisible so two won't be drawn? ( That was hard to explain yet I still did a very bad job. )

I think I get what you mean. Two seperate layers, both containing the same objects, one you collide with and one you don't, right? MMF2 does let you control what layer active objects are on via events, but not backdrop objects, and for certain things, that doesn't really help me very much anyway.