A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Fusion. My first game

Felik

Hello! I've created a game. You can download it and play herehttp://sonic.ifolder.ru/343518.

Just input numbers and click the button below. Then click another button which is situated at the same position. Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia, I hope understood me.

I must be honest. I'm using Damzien's engine. But I made a lot too.

Just play it and say your opinion.

To be honest, I'm impressed.

I really actually enjoyed the complexity of the level, and the engine.

One thing that bothered me is if your jumping, holding down, and when you land, you cant preform a spindash, you just jump again.

Yes though, checkpoints would be nice, I got crushed.

I must say that engine is Damzien's. But i improved it. If sonic jumps onto or off the edge, engine won't think that it is a slope and sonic will jump straight up and when he lands, he won't run from edge. I also included REAL roll and spindash. To do powerful spindash you should rapidly press fire 1. Try to press ctrl while standing or running. You can make through this combo, run attack or roll attack (if you are rolling). Try to kill those rabbits using comdo. Tt's cool!

Yeah, thanks, guy. That really helped *shot*

Re-host it. I did that and it doesn't start the download.

EDIT: I played it thanks to Rael. Very impressive for a first try, Felik. Some things that could make it better:

-Sprite clash! Never combine Genesis and Advance style. Pick one. If you're going with that zone, go with Genesis as your sprite style. That includes Sonic AND badniks. I saw Genesis, Advance, and Sonic Rush badniks in one level.

-Level design: mostly awesome, but never put an enemy in a path when you pick up speed. Also, a gimmick or two would be cool, but what you got is still pretty cool.

-The level was rad, but my eyes hurt after playing. The BG like...obscured the action sometimes or created distracting clashes. I don't know how to describe it, but I know it's something like that.

OK, downloading that was quite a chore. You REALLY need to get a better host. However, I found out why it wasn't working, using a translation tool:

At present the foreign traffic at this file exceeds Russian.

You can receive this file only if visit a site of our advertizers helping to pay ours of a server and channels. Press to pass here to a choice of advertizers.

So I had to click the link, then click another site. Then I had to wait until the countdown got to zero, when in a little bar above the ad page it would link me to the download. VERY confusing.

I will probably have feedback soon. However if you want more you're going to need a better file host.

Sorry I didn't know that it is so hard to download my game NOT from Russia. I'll do something...

Why do you think that mixing genesis and advance graphics is a bad idea?

I think that genesis unused by Sega titles are cool (titles from Sonic crackers and Sonic 2 beta), but advance sprites are cool too! Why I have to choose I wonder? I don't see anything bad in mixing styles. But everyone havs his own opinion.

I will host archive here or sonwhere else when I have time

Checked out the demo. I was expecting to see something worse :)

I liked the way you did the parallax. Looks like you finally learned how to do it. The engine feels quite nice, although at this stage of development I can't see any originality in the work. But that doesn't matter for the first steps.

What I liked in the level layout is the tidiness of your objects. This really looks like it has been realigned, sorted, etc. I also found the badniks quite well-made.

The intro is a bit too short, but I liked it. Mode7Ex or whatever you used there did its job nicely.

What I didn't like, though, is the level itself. Despite being so nice and clean, it was not amusing at all to run through the stage for so long. No checkpoints as well - this is awful. I kept dying at the same place and starting again from the beginning. Because of that, I can't comment on the boss presented in this demo.

Mixing Genesis and Advance styles is a bad choice too. I used to do the same, but now they really look ugly for me. At least try to recolor/redraw some of the tiles/sprites to make them fit better.

About the music. It would have been a good trick if it had worked correctly. I see that you split the music track into 2 files, the starting and the looping one. I can tell the difference and actually say when another file starts when I play the game. This should not be like that, although it's your choice whether to keep it or not.

On the whole, this demo is a lot better than the first one you showed me, which, to be honest, was awful.

Good luck with later work.

Thanx! I was expecting to hear something worse.

This is good that you haven't seen the boss, It is AWFULLY HARD. You would try to kill him MANY MANY times until you beat him.

The only thing that I can't understand is: Why do you think that there are no checkpoints? There are 2 checkpoints in the level.

I must say that engine is Damzien's. But i improved it. If sonic jumps onto or off the edge, engine won't think that it is a slope and sonic will jump straight up and when he lands, he won't run from edge.

Well, I fixed that bug a long ago, but I guess people just keept using the version there is at the main page x_x