A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

BasicSonicEngineGM5

LarkSS

Wouldn't using an object for the paralax just slow down the game? I also think it would end up doing the same as what I did. ( positioning wise ) I think I understand about how it moves before the view does. I tried positioning it at the end of the step, but that didn't help. How the heck do I get it to position after the view has moved?

I tried thoroughly, but I think it's impossible to keep dynamically moving backgrounds from lagging behind the views. Something to do with the order the inner code is performed. As for using your own object slowing down, the amount of extra time done when using this method is insignifigant. It might not be the same in GM5, but the real time comes from drawing the background and that's the same in either method.

Anyway, pretty nice engine. The physics work very well especially for DnD (since you can't use for and while loops).

A few things I don't like and these are purely in the setup: try not to ever include a 3+ MB mp3 in an open-source demo, you should load resources that big externally anyway. Also, is changing the screen's color depth to 16bit needed?

I tried thoroughly, but I think it's impossible to keep dynamically moving backgrounds from lagging behind the views. Something to do with the order the inner code is performed. As for using your own object slowing down, the amount of extra time done when using this method is insignifigant. It might not be the same in GM5, but the real time comes from drawing the background and that's the same in either method.

Meh, I'm so confused about this. I even tried putting the paralax into the camera, but I guess what you said is true.

Anyway, pretty nice engine. The physics work very well especially for DnD (since you can't use for and while loops).

Lots and lots of stuff in Sonic's step event though. The big reason it's so smooth is I used loops for moving to the left, right, up, and down to make collisions pixel perfect.

A few things I don't like and these are purely in the setup: try not to ever include a 3+ MB mp3 in an open-source demo, you should load resources that big externally anyway. Also, is changing the screen's color depth to 16bit needed?

Lol, it was plain without the music so I included it. =P I'll see if I can play it externally then. I haven't really tried that yet.

And about the color changing thing, 16bit is my default coloring setup and I knew setting it to that would help the game to run at a better speed. I guess I could set it to no change then. Thanks for the comments.

I'm adding to the engine now. I'll release it once it's done. I'm also making more levels so I decided to make an end of level system. The very first level will be really easy and its purpose will be to show off the engine.

BTW, dieing a lot and getting mad at the level doesn't make it crappy. It makes it challenging. =P I personally like challenging levels since it makes you have to try several times and it's fun when you master it.

Edit: Just relized that some of you probably hate the part with the 3 mini floating platforms. Consider getting speed and jumping the whole thing. =o

BTW, dieing a lot and getting mad at the level doesn't make it crappy. It makes it challenging. =P I personally like challenging levels since it makes you have to try several times and it's fun when you master it.

Challenging isn't measured in the amount of times you die. IMO, the best challanges are ones you almost never die in. That's why Sonic levels are multi-pathed. Dying just interupts the game.

Lol, I didn't meant that you had to die to make it challenging. It's just people who expect it to be easy die a lot and complain that the level sucked. The only times I die anyway are usually on purpose.

Edit: I tried playing music externally using code and it pops up an error saying it's for the registered version only.....darn. So I lowered the file size of the song by 2 megs and the quality still sounds good. I also made it load only on use so it doesn't load it when the game is starting but instead when the level starts. ( In which case you're viewing the loading screen )

OMG no way, LarkSS actually got off his lazy butt and made the new engine version?

That's right, got the new version with a couple new treats.

-Coloring setting is now left alone.

-Sonic CD style camera shift has been slowed down.

-Route99 song has been dropped by 2MB without making it sound bad.

-Your jump is now effected by the slope you're on.

-Spring collision error has been fixed.

-Slash move like from STH3 added. ( Sound and slash effect ripped by me )

-Height from bouncing off a monitor is effected by how high the top of your jump was.

-Spinning has its own decel now.

-Initial spincharge strength has been increased.

-Y physics can be changed at will without losing the default Y physics. In this case, it was used to make going up after hitting a spring slower.

-Level now has a couple changes, but it still sucks. =P

-Included debug txt files which can be loaded in debug mode to check the engine's values. ( included with the source only )

-Now added a readme for a tiny description and a list of people to give credit to. ( included with the source only )

No new levels sorry. Didn't have the patience to make more. I also didn't add the end of act system since I'd really prefer for that to be done by the person using the engine. ( since most people would like an original ending sequence )

Anyways, the engine has been uploaded. They're at the first page. ( updated the link was all ) Hope you like it and please comment on the new stuff. I'd like to make it as good as possible. If you're lazy and don't want to go to the first page, here you go.

EXE: http://sonicsoft.supersanctuary.com/OtherFiles/BasicSonicEngineGM5EXE.zip

Source: http://sonicsoft.supersanctuary.com/OtherFiles/BasicSonicEngineGM5Source.zip

btw, many thanks to Rael for taking time out of his life to beta test the engine and give quite a few comments that made the engine a lot better. You're the best dude. =)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, major bump.

Anyhow, I don't recall saying I'd make another version. The release a few posts above yours was the latest version since then. If there's any specific changes/additions you were hoping for, I guess you could let me know. =/

Btw, the link changed since then to:

http://larkss.supersanctuary.net/PublicFiles/BasicSonicEngineGM5.zip

• Like 1

Thanks and your welcome.

I'm actually surprised you're interested in it. =P I'd probably redo the jumping physics as they feel very awkward to me. Feel free to drop me any questions about the engine as well. ( I'd recommend through PM or email to let this old thread revisit the grave once more. )