A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SEGA not interested in remaking S3&K with Christian Whitehead

Hurrah for my first thread.

Christian Whitehead recently tweeted that SEGA is not expressing interest in making a Taxman (Christian's screen name, btw) remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. This sucks because the Sonic 1, 2, and CD remakes are the definitive versions of their respective games.  And imagine what would have happened if Christian remade S3&K, it would be beautiful (oh and it would be fun to play too, i guess).

However, there is a possibility of this still being made. We need to tell SEGA that we want S3&K remade by Christian, and support them by buying the remakes Christian has made. Now, you don't have to do this (why the hell you wouldn't is beyond me), but it would be very much appreciated, so we can get one of the best Sonic games recreated with great features, steady framerate, and possibly some bonuses!

Also, you can carry that shit in your pockets!

• Like 1

Meh. Not really interested, for a few reasons:

1. I've played the Classic games to death, so they can't really surprise or excite me, anymore.
  2. CD HD was nice, but that was enough.
  3. Keeping the Sonic 1 and 2 remakes mobile only was an irritating move.

Frankly, I'd much rather see something new. I can't imagine what features could go into such a port, outside of the standard lock-on stuff.

I have to both agree and disagree with the two of ya. While I too have played the hell out of the classic series on ALL of the consoles there were released on (including Sonic Genesis and Spinball on GBA). I still cannot imagine a reason NOT to taxman S3&K. While this game is already available on all 3 7th gen. consoles (Wii virtual console/Sonic's ultimate Genesis collection for PS3 and X360), these "ports" do not feature the features of the Taxman ports like: 16:9 picture frame, 60Hz frame rate and "new" characters to play. Not to forget the additional zones (Hidden Palace and Proto Palace for Sonic 2). Sadly Taxman doesn't do everything better. E.g. He didn't include (not even as optional special thing or update) the Sonic CD zones R2 and R9. That with Sonic 1 and 2 not being on home consoles was kinda assy from Sega but that shouldn't be to hard to port.

Now, to be honest, I am not to hyped for S3&K for iOS and Android (if it will come). I'd like to see Sonic 4 (both episodes together as 1) in Taxman's engine. That way there would be finally something new done with the engine and fans would finally understand Sonic 4 is not that bad and fixable.

And... I don't care that much.

I have a Genesis emulator in the PSP and phone, so I can play Sonic whenever and wherever I want. Sonic CD with Tails was a nice thing to have, but S3&K is as definitive as it gets, I don't think it needs modifications.

If Sega doesn't want money then so be it. They really hate money, you see? Yakuza 0 was just announced and we still DON'T have 5 fffffffffff

Lev, to be fair: Hidden Palace assets and designs were present in the Simon Wai Beta, but R2 and R9 existed only in conceptual forms. Sonic CD Taxman was pretty damn nice already with the addition of Tails.

Not to mention I believe he wanted to add some other stuff in but it got cut or something?

Anyway I'd love to have a 16:9 remastered Sonic 3&K. If it doesn't happen too then oh well I guess (though its disappointing to me) just because I agree with gsoft, S3&K I consider pretty definitive as is.

• Like 1

Lol that was taz's 666th post.

Back on topic here.

IMO, i was most anticipating this remake the most. S3K is already the definitive as it, but it would have been SO cool to see what Taxman would have done with it to make it even better than before. Not only that, but it would be OFFICIAL on mobile! Honestly, playing S3K on a phone emulator isn't all that great.

• Like 1

Taxman is already perfectly capable of recreating S3K without any of the original code. Really I doubt there would be much for him to learn from any of it.

Personally, I'm ok with this development since as much as I would love a 16:9 variant of S3K with possibly some added features, I'd rather see an original game (Sonic or otherwise). That said, having heard what I have heard over the years I would be a bit disappointed if the reasons were more political than practical.

The way he phrases it "not likely at this time" makes me think it's less SEGA being jerkish and more S3K being difficult to port. While S3K is built upon the previous games, the data itself has a completely different layout, so while 1 2 and CD can all run on the Retro Engine perfectly, it would take a ton of fanangling to work S3K into it. I believe we'll get it some time, just not soon enough for it to be announced.

Oh, and there's this from Taxman:

Sonic Threemastered is something that I consistently get asked about, and something we know a lot of people would like to see happen. I prefer to avoid goofy PR talk and be clear with my game development, but obviously there's a limit to this with confidential information that is not yours to share. So 'unlikely at this time' is the best answer you'll get from me.

Taxman made the engine himself, he doesn't have to worry about any of that. It would be no more difficult to port than CD or S2. And when is Sega not being jerks to everyone? It's anyone's guess why they haven't already jumped on this port.

i've beaten Sonic 3 and Knuckles so many times, at this point there's no way I could get excited for another port. It'd have to add a lot of new content.

• Like 2

This is sad...really sad...it's like they've become Capcom! Noone cares about making good games anymore. Sega is so stupid for not letting Taxman to have full power, I mean he could have FULLY restored Sonic 2 with all the stuff that were scrapped (like Wood, Dust Hill, and Cyber City.  Oh and don't forget the badniks too) not really a fan of E.G. , it's a lazy thing to put together (reusing). Sega hired a perfect golden guy that can improve the classic Sonic genesis games but nooooo! Ug! Sonic CD was a good example of  HD resolution, additional character, frame rates improved, ect. I thought that Sonic 1 was going to get a better treatment. (disappointed sigh) Sega really think this through! 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...