A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Favorite Lost Gems?

So I've been playing my two favorite lost gems lately: Mischief Makers, and Klonoa 2, the latter I had managed to score at gamestop last Sunday.

It's kind of ironic how both games are somewhat similar. First, there's Mischief Makers. IMHO, it's Treasure's best game ever. It's quirky and I just love it. Unfortunately, it was 2D on the N64, in a time where 3D was end all be all of console games, so it didn't sell all that well. The game's focus was around Marina's super human strength, and her ability to grab, shake ("SHAKE SHAKE") and throw andthing in her path.

See that enemy over there throwing Ninja stars? Grab those stars and send 'em back. Or grab that bozo and use him as a shield. Or take the star and put in in the "clanpot", and mix 3 of them together to make a boomerang.

The levels were really varied. Some were intense on the action (Clan War, Clan War II) while others had some serious puzzles (Aester's Maze or whatever it was called. Bloody hard.) And some were just bizzare (The Day Of, which is an olympic games level. Catastrophy!, which was a dodgeball match against a cat)

The bosses were a hoot (one boss had you riding on the back of a cat, while being chased by a robodog/motorcycle hybrid that shot missles, which you have the option of riding and throwing back at it. The last boss is crazy, too. And of course, Phoenix Gamma gave me the hardest time out of all of them...)

It really deserves a sequel, be it on GBA or DS. Preferably DS, as if it were released on a GBA, it'd experience the same fate as the original, being a dead platform now. Oh, and an anime is a must, as the characters are so wacky and the plot is amusing.

Klonoa 2 (the PS2 game) is a new favorite for me. I played the GBA games (even the japanese only RPG) but never played the PS2 game because I never had a PS2. When I saw this at gamestop, I got it right away.

Klonoa's gameplay is similar to MM's, it revolving around grabbing and throwing, and both being sidescrollers (Klonoa being a 3d sidescroller) and both having puzzle and platformer elements, but Klonoa focuses more on the puzzle aspect, which is never too hard to figure out. Most puzzle games have me beating my head against a wall, but Klonoa has great pacing, and it's only fault is that it's a tad short, and just a speck too easy.

I love Klonoa's atmosphere. The music is immersive, and the backgrounds look very lush. I love how, even though the game is on rails, Klonoa can still hit objects in the background, which makes it all seem a little more real. Plus, I think Klonoa is a total badass, even if he has a fear of water.

Klonoa's fairly popular in japan, so hopefully more games will be coming our way. We're still missing the Klonoa RPG, and Klonoa 2 (the GBA game) recently came out, literally YEARS after it hit Japan. Odd...

Anyways, share your favorite lost gems. I need something to kill the lack of good summer games.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I remember a few kids games... might not be so interesting if you don't like kid humor or playing around like a kid.

Stay Tooned (Sierra Online, 1993), a nice Saturday morning cartoon styled game. Funny as all heck, and some of the humor is immature yet quite sophisticated.

Recess in Greece (Morgan Interactive, 1994), following the monkey Morgan (as Odysseus) through the myths of Ancient Greece, especially as seen through the Iliad. Lots of amusing ADHD-inspired animations done by Vietnamese artists.

Not posting any others coming to mind, since I don't think they warrant "gem" status.

Oh, and if you've never played the Hugo trilogy, you don't deserve to call yourself a master a gaming.

I see your Descent 3 and raise you the rest of the Descent series. All classics, and even better now there are engine-ports like D1X and D2X-XL bringing Descents 1 & 2 into glorious OpenGL. Tremendous fun in multiplayer.

If you can't stand complex ordinary flight sims, be warned that this makes dogfighting highly enjoyable. Interplay, however, are in the soup due to financial irregularities ("that money was just RESTING in my account!") so you'll probably need to torrent the game.

Mega Turrican for Genesis. Pretty much Metroid except level based and more trigger happy.

Also the Klonoa for the original Playstation... although I'm still desperately searching for a new copy of it.

Also, Ehrgeiz and Einhander for the Playstation. Both were excellent games in my opinion that just didn't get enough copies produced.

Well guys, most of my memories revolve around the ole' C64, Commodore 64. I was lucky to be young in it's ending days, so stuff was still being put out for it when I was a kid, just not as mainstream.

The C64 Ghostbusters title will always hold a place in my heart as the best Ghostbusters game title, and the only real playable one. Good times, good times.

to go on when i was a bit older, it would need to be 'Toonshock' and the 'Monkey Island Series'. Toonshock was a game staring Christopher Llyod as a Happy, Loveable cartoonist who got sucked into his own world during a freak storm (At least, I think that was it.). It was a modern day 'Who framed Roger Rabiit.". I'am Sure the Monkey Island series needs no intro duction. "You fight Like a Cow!"

Also.. um. Sonic. the hedgehog. Yeah, imagine we were so engrossed as that game as a kid we used to 'play pretend sonic' with my friends...... hahahahahaha. we were such losers! ;)