A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Badnik BRAWL

Snooky

Getting ready for SAGE!

b0Gbsr9.png

The aim of the game is to kill all the enemies and free Sonic's forest friends from Dr. Robotnik's badniks. To do so, you must punch and kick your way to the finish!

For an added bonus, try completing the level with every ring and without taking damage for a PERFECT bonus!

Controls

Movement - Arrow Keys or Gamepad

Jump - Z or Button 2 on Gamepad

Punch - X or Button 1 on Gamepad

Kick - C or Button 3 on Gamepad

(customizable controls is a planned feature.)

I've tried my hardest to clone the basic engine after the Mega Drive series--I hope you find it pleasing ;)

I have a website at http://games.kronikkillaz.com/sonic. Unfortunately, due to issues with my free hosting plan, it doesn't show for most people, so here is direct link to the latest demo on Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o5uygbe8dz4z8cm/SBB-DEMO3.zip

Have fun and don't forget to leave feedback! ;) <3

• Like 2

Oh my god! 

What did you use to make this game? This is so fluid and really great. The game flows great and could even work as an engine for an Advance game with some modifications.

It's great you're taking a simplistic approach with this game as most fangames are overly ambitious. 

I do recommend you try to get a more cool and stylish HUD to send across the stylish feel of the game! 

Good luck on all your projects!

Do ask me if you need music on your upcoming projects!

EDIT: Those were my first impressions. 

Edited by Faseeh

@Faseeh: This game was made using Game Maker 8. I had spent a lot of time trying to create my own Sonic 360*-rotation engine, but could never pull it off--until one night, I took an adderall pill for the first time (I do not endorse the use of adderall pills, as they are extremely addictive. I am diagnosed with ADHD and that is the only reason I was prescribed this horrible medication). My brain went into hyper-drive, and I examined Damizean's 360 engine and figured out exactly how he made Sonic do his rotations (a matter of sending 2 sensors down on either side of Sonic relative to his current rotation).

I do plan on stripping the game down and releasing it as a standalone open-source engine when I'm done. Of course, I started this game with an engine, so I already have the open-source engine this is built from on my computer, but I've made so many improvements since then that that version of the engine is totally deprecated. All I need to do for this to work as an engine is re-add the water code, which I took out for this game. I felt that water sections would really hinder the fast-paced combat aspect of the game.

And I've had the same thoughts about the HUD, in fact, now that I've finished the final boss, I think that's the first thing I'm gonna change ;p

PS. I built this game's soundtrack from OC Remix. I make my own music and I'm actually a rapper, but I'd love to hear your music and possibly collaborate on a game with you at some point :)

@HighWire4: Please do! Were you planning on making a gameplay video, or more of a review-type video?

Edited by Snooky
  • Like 1

1 is a glitch I have encountered, however I THINK I have reached a solution. Fixing glitches like these is very important to me and this one has been under my radar for quite some time.

As for 2, I can't fix something that isn't broken. The enemies take more than one hit. :P I'm not trying to recreate every other Sonic game. I'm trying to make my own game. This is a beat-em-up.

• Like 1

If the game is going to feature enemies that require multiple hits periodically throughout the game the player needs to be introduced to it early on. As in the first level. The first level is where the player is trying to figure out and learn the rules of the game while the later levels are about testing what the player already knows. It is for that reason that there should be enemies in the first level that require multiple hits to defeat. Any other mechanics or rules related for those enemies is entirely up to Snooky here. But the first level is a first impression for the whole game, so they should be there. 

• Like 1

@Faseeh: Now that is a capital idea! I'm also with Highwire here, there need to be enemies in the first level that take multiple hits, but no harm done if the fish die in one hit :P (that was actually my original intention, yet sometimes they take more than one hit. Weird)

Went ahead and released a version for SAGE. I am not finished working on it though! There are still many things to add and fix. I didn't have the time to address everything in this thread for the initial release, but ya know, the deadline is tomorrow. I hope you guys enjoy the full game :3

Nice. I have actually already added several features and fixed a few major bugs since my submission :) I've added a radar system of sorts that points you towards the enemies, because who wants to be lost in a huge level searching for that last annoying enemy? It's happened to me many times xD

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I have been working on this game pretty much 24/7, trying to get the new version finished before SAGE. Along with copying every piece of working data to a new file (a method to eliminate crashes that has worked for me in the past) and in the process I have remodeled the levels as well. I have received feedback that the first level is a bit too big and boring, so I have condensed it--as for the rest, I have been adding extra paths to make things more accessible.

Also, you know those rotating platforms that come in groups of 3 from the uhh, Genesis games? I ended up with a pretty nice gap in the first level that those would fill up perfectly, and I'm proud to say I figured out a way to program them in ^^ I am very proud of myself.

The slowdown you may have encountered is caused by the radar I added in. It uses a script that involves activating and deactivating the robots every step and calculating the nearest one to calculate the position of each enemy on the map. I plan on adding an option that allows you to turn it on when 5 enemies are remaining, 3 enemies, 1 enemy, or to have no radar at all. Should take care of the lag entirely :) I have a job interview tomorrow, so hopefully my schedule won't start until after the SAGE submission deadline.

Also, the loop-de-loop glitch that causes you to phase through the loop in level 1 is caused by erroneous placement of the layer triggers. As it is, Sonic switches layers just on the border of the 2 tiles that make up the loop, giving him about a 50/50 chance of staying attached to the loop or phasing through it. Crystal Coast Zone is also the only level I have experienced this glitch in, so that's the only thing that makes sense :P

All in all, version 1.1 will be completely different from 1.0. Once I upload 1.1 though, I will take 1.0 off the internet as I am truthfully not satisfied with that build.