A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Guest Mr Lange

Why not just keep the color the way it is now, and then make the badnik lose his color blending abilities whenever he attacks? 

It doesn't have color changing abilities. It's a gecko, not a chameleon. The badnik is based on the listeri, a gecko native to Christmas Island, which commonly has a desaturated green/brown scheme to help blend in with trees.

Listerion stops moving and its purple sections flash when he's about to fire a pea.

listerii.jpg

Lepidodactylus-listeri-thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It doesn't have color changing abilities. It's a gecko, not a chameleon. The badnik is based on the listeri, a gecko native to Christmas Island, which commonly has a desaturated green/brown scheme to help blend in with trees.

Listerion stops moving and its purple sections flash when he's about to fire a pea.

listerii.jpg

Lepidodactylus-listeri-thumb.jpg

Ah okay I see where you're going with this badnik. Do you guys happen to have a .gif to show it in action?

Guest Mr Lange

We'll save more footage for later. We'd rather not spoil all the wonderful details that make up this project so far. They're much better experienced as a whole, especially in gameplay.

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 1

Been getting loads of work done on Project Estate. Everything is very much a work in progress.

bandicam_2014_04_17_18_51_39_863.png  bandicam_2014_04_17_18_53_17_859.png

Whole bunch of new stuff in this. I'll let you infer upon what's what.

I've started sketching cutscenes too: 

bandicam_2014_04_17_18_54_38_359.png

They'll be single shot frames with subtle animation in them (like the helicopter blades spinning for example.) in a style similar to cutscenes on old snes and genesis games. I'm doing it this way to save dev time and get to the game as soon as possible with just a basic introduction. 

Feedback would be cool.

• Like 5

Looks awesome so far Highwire. That whole animation thing is a little ambitious, I wish you the best of luck but so far that sketch looks great. I feel like HUD could be a bit more apparent. Maybe make it a bit bigger or change its color to make it pop more or stylize it?

Edited by ECLIPSc70
  • Like 1

Been getting loads of work done on Project Estate. Everything is very much a work in progress.

bandicam_2014_04_17_18_51_39_863.png  bandicam_2014_04_17_18_53_17_859.png

Whole bunch of new stuff in this. I'll let you infer upon what's what.

I've started sketching cutscenes too: 

bandicam_2014_04_17_18_54_38_359.png

They'll be single shot frames with subtle animation in them (like the helicopter blades spinning for example.) in a style similar to cutscenes on old snes and genesis games. I'm doing it this way to save dev time and get to the game as soon as possible with just a basic introduction. 

Feedback would be cool.

Whoa man, this is looking pretty good, it doesn't look like the game I tested a while back.

Keep it up man, you're doing good!

Also, if I was you, you should tone down the story, I can't handle so much plot and all of those words man.

• Like 2

bandicam_2014_04_14_17_14_01_875.png
bandicam_2014_04_14_17_14_18_301.png
Stuff from Project ESTATE. The game has undergone a complete overhaul lately in terms of story, setting, and gameplay and I'm finally a little comfortable to start showing more of it off. None of the colors here are final, along with the shading. I've been pumping out beta graphics for my 2D game graphics class which is what these are for, so I'm going for quantity over quality right now. I'll touch em up later, for now, I'm just happy to have graphics of some kind. And yes there is a new mechanic in these screenshots.

Nothing like some beta graphics to make a game feel like it's actually progressing. Looks great to me.

Her hair and posture is looking way more natural, but something is still bothering me about the way she holds that gun. Like it's too casual a pose for its position and size.

• Like 1

Looks awesome so far Highwire. That whole animation thing is a little ambitious, I wish you the best of luck but so far that sketch looks great. I feel like HUD could be a bit more apparent. Maybe make it a bit bigger or change its color to make it pop more or stylize it?

Thanks man! The animated cutscenes are going to be very minimal, basically just a static picture like the sketch up above. I guess the ambitious part of it would come into coloring it but eh.

I'm not fond of the HUD right now either. It doesn't draw enough attention to itself right now. I'm going to try out a few things (making the hearts bigger, have the weapon slots spread out next to each other super metroid style rather than just a single graphic, etc) so we'll see how it goes. As for making it bigger, the game needs a good amount of screen space to show as much of the level as possible. This is necessary due to the game being a puzzle game and it helps if you can see most or all of the puzzle onscreen, but I'll see what I can do.

Whoa man, this is looking pretty good, it doesn't look like the game I tested a while back.

Keep it up man, you're doing good!

Also, if I was you, you should tone down the story, I can't handle so much plot and all of those words man.

Its basically completely different from the game you played a few months ago. Its gone over a complete overhaul in the past week and its been for the better. But thanks man lol.

Nothing like some beta graphics to make a game feel like it's actually progressing. Looks great to me.

Her hair and posture is looking way more natural, but something is still bothering me about the way she holds that gun. Like it's too casual a pose for its position and size.

Thanks man! As for the gun, its literally floating over her sprite for now and its definitely the most derpiest fucking thing I've ever seen. God you should see it when it aims in different directions the thing basically windmills like crazy its hilarious.

Its not passable for the final game or even a demo but its code is a precursor to something better down the line. It works, and thats what matters right now, but I will work on making it well....work lol.

As for her.. well, thats not really relevant anymore. I'm giving her a specialized hazard suit that she'll wear throughout the whole game. This is to solve various design issues with her that I don't have time to solve (her hair doesn't work in a 2d space, she'd be an orange blob if she started walking left for example) so fuck it I'm giving her a suit to cover up the design flaws and it fits better with the new story. The sprites and design isn't totally trashed though, maybe she'll pull a samus at the end and take off her suit and pose or something.

But yeah I'll work on the poses and designs and stuff.

cbbosses_zps8c9e6231.png

I have been working on boss sprites. The colors may change.

Good lord those are awesome. I love the shapes you have going on with these and the overall designs are pretty effective. They convey their in-game function very well. The only one that looks weird to me is the one on the right. It looks like a mashed together mess of just stuff and other robots and stuff which may or may not be intentional, but it looks the most confusing and vague in function out of all of them. As for sprite quality god damn they're awesome, very well done. I like the vivid colors as well.

• Like 1

@Highwire and Pulse0: I wasn't too sure with what to do with the one on the right. I was attempting to make it look like some sort of large mechanical butterfly, but couldn't find any suitable wings. I'll probably end up re-doing it or something different all together.

The really bold, deep colors of the water and the Angel Island part of it clash a bit with the soft colors of the mountains and sky. I'd suggest either softening them up to match or make the mountains and sky bolder colors.

I like the combination of graphics, though. :j

Guest Mr Lange

The really bold, deep colors of the water and the Angel Island part of it clash a bit with the soft colors of the mountains and sky. I'd suggest either softening them up to match or make the mountains and sky bolder colors.

I like the combination of graphics, though. :j

Well, the water should be about the same color as the sky anyway. That's what makes water blue to begin with, it's reflecting the sky. The mountains and trees around their base can be excusably brighter due to both atmospheric fog and reflecting more light from being out in the open. The darker colors of the foreground canopy may be describing a more crowded scene letting in less sunlight.

Edited by Mr Lange

Well I think it's time I posted something regarding 8-bit remake so people don't think it's dead

I made the bridge pieces bigger so it's easier to stand on the falling pieces. (Ignore the piece that's sticking halfway through the wall)

post-5398-0-76461000-1398401242_thumb.pn

and a quick mock up of the new tiles I've been creating. (I would appreciate some feedback with these tiles, and if I should have the player stay behind them or not)

post-5398-0-93037800-1398401243_thumb.pn

• Like 1

2885so5.png

2csc2a9.png

s1ri8x.png

Silver Gear: a new game non-sonic based, its more like a mixture of Shantae, Metroid, LoZ and Cave Story with a little of Megaman, its not based in Robots the only robot is that silver skinned girl called MAI (Multipropose Artificial Inteligence) and there are monsters like demon girls, werewolfs, and animal-based humanoids its my very first own creation, this screens doesnt represents how the game will look and play at the end

And more recreations pics here this time a pic showing some badnicks

2lxhu2w.jpg

note that they could change if i see they dont fit for the level or something like that so they arent the final ones, and also im working on a classic tilesets for a Sonic Realm of Chaos level in classic mode

• Like 3

Well I think it's time I posted something regarding 8-bit remake so people don't think it's dead

I made the bridge pieces bigger so it's easier to stand on the falling pieces. (Ignore the piece that's sticking halfway through the wall)

attachicon.gifbridge.png

and a quick mock up of the new tiles I've been creating. (I would appreciate some feedback with these tiles, and if I should have the player stay behind them or not)

attachicon.gifgrass.png

The player should definatley stand behind them, especially for the larger circles.

mountainbg20_zps531f1c86.png

comments?

I really like how there is a kind of depth of field going on with this. I'd have to say that the colors are what need to be worked on. The vibrancy of the ocean really throws off the whole thing and I think that the colors of the greenery in the distance and closer to the foreground should be the same. Other than that it looks great.

attachicon.gifbridge.png

attachicon.gifgrass.png

Well...I personally wouldn't make grassy that...odd looking but if thats what you're using make the characters stand behind the grass, they look like they're clipping through the ground right now.

Also just as a side note, I'd suggest going for a different grass design. The one you have right now covers too much of the character and is't very clear about where the actual platform surface is. It doesn't look like you should be able to stand on it honestly.

2885so5.png

2csc2a9.png

s1ri8x.png

Silver Gear: a new game non-sonic based, its more like a mixture of Shantae, Metroid, LoZ and Cave Story with a little of Megaman, its not based in Robots the only robot is that silver skinned girl called MAI (Multipropose Artificial Inteligence) and there are monsters like demon girls, werewolfs, and animal-based humanoids its my very first own creation, this screens doesnt represents how the game will look and play at the end

And more recreations pics here this time a pic showing some badnicks

2lxhu2w.jpg

note that they could change if i see they dont fit for the level or something like that so they arent the final ones, and also im working on a classic tilesets for a Sonic Realm of Chaos level in classic mode

Its pretty cool to see yet another person on here making an original game, and yours sounds pretty cool. While I do think your protagonist looks pretty cool, something about her design bothers me though. Something about it feels visually unbalanced. It could be that maybe shes a little too top heavy, or the uneven distribution of visual information across her figure (having small and more complex shapes going on in her shoes than compared to the rest of her along with yellow only appearing on that part of her body while she's rather monotone everywhere else for example.). The sprites you've made though are very nice and I'd love to see what they look like animated.

The sonic recreations enemies look nice as well, though I'm not sure how the tanks are supposed to fit on a 2D surface given their perspective.