A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

I really like the coloring in the objects and backgrounds - that hedgehog looks really cute. The set of objects in the background - are these areas just decorative, or is there a way to go back there, Wario Land style?

The characters kinda clash with their flatness, though. Are these the final sprites?

• Like 1

The set of objects in the background - are these areas just decorative, or is there a way to go back there, Wario Land style?

Well not really, it was decorative back then.

In the last image, you can see the first level's evolution through these 5 years. The "Pseudo 3D" background was replaced.

But I'm actually willing to make a level where you have to walk in the background.

I am in an odd spot here with a section of level design that has left me rather frustrated. Its a weird bit. A 3 way intersection/cross-over bit. 

Here's a basic screen of it with the paths labeled.

u35a.png

Path 1 is obviously the slowest (clocking in at around 40 seconds into the level by the time you reach the end of the made path), Path 2 is currently the fastest though I want to change it a little (clocking in at around 24-25 seconds from the start of the level to the end) and path 3 is kinda in the middle (clocking in at around 26-27 seconds). Paths 1 and 2 are from a split of the single starting path. Path 3 is a split of the starting path that happens before the Y split of path 1 and 2 as shown here along with the speeds of areas.

9vj.png

I want path 3 to be the fastest, while the most challenging, so I put in floating platforms. These worked kinda well at first, but once the other paths started to fill themselves out, things quickly got crowded and clunky. This also became apparant with how inconsistantly I was able to actually traverse said platforms. I tried raising the elevation of the platforms a little bit which helped in some areas but made others worse. 

hjvs.png

I'm debating on getting rid of the smaller fast bit in the middle of path 1 (even though it does speed up that path quite a bit and could be a neat shortcut for the less adventurous players) just because of how much space it takes up. The other problem is that sonic can only jump oh so far, even at top speed, so I can't put the floating platforms (that usually have crane grab things on them so they make sense) too close to the jump in path 3 or it cuts off paths 1 and 2. 

I'm thinking of putting a spring into path 3 before the floating platforms to elevate it and slow sonic down along with a scene transition for the player but I don't want to slow it down too much as it is. This might not be a problem if I slow down path 2 considerably at some point before this intersection but I dunno. So I'm really not sure of what to do with this. Any ideas guys?

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 1

That Level design and actually the level itself kick so much ass man!, but with that much color the people will actually see the different paths? maybe is because its an image not an actual gameplay but that's my opinion.

Hey here is a mock up of how will look Flame Rift from The Mystical realm from SRB2 in Sonic Recreations, its missing the parallax because im still working on it, but it will have lava in mode 7 to look more 3D-ish, im working more in this tilesets because im planing on release a demo with Flame Rift and Cross Station classic, this is the modern version of Flame Rift

iwuflw.png

• Like 2

That Level design and actually the level itself kick so much ass man!, but with that much color the people will actually see the different paths? maybe is because its an image not an actual gameplay but that's my opinion.

Hey here is a mock up of how will look Flame Rift from The Mystical realm from SRB2 in Sonic Recreations, its missing the parallax because im still working on it, but it will have lava in mode 7 to look more 3D-ish, im working more in this tilesets because im planing on release a demo with Flame Rift and Cross Station classic, this is the modern version of Flame Rift

iwuflw.png

Welp, it looks cool and all, but the lava doesn't really fit in. It needs some better color scheme and less contrast with the sky. Remember that lava tends to release smoke into the athmosphere and gives off light as well. So it's pratically impossible that a region filled with lava would have such clear skies. For me, especially after Lost World, it looks like orange juice.

Thanks Gear! You brought up a good point with the amount of color on screen so I've brought in another color into the level's pallet to act as a neutralizer. 

uv0u.png

0jkz.png

I'm still tweeking the greens, but what do you guys think? Think it works?

I also solved my little level design problem by just moving path three up. It flows pretty nicely now. 

@Kessler: So is Amy a playable thing now? Can she do anything special or?

@Gear: Yeah the lava background does need some smoke or something. Not sure how you'd do that using parallax stuff tho. Perhaps if you posted up a screenshot of what the original level looked like it could be a little helpful since it IS a recreation.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZ09s2efPc

The original level has blue skies, thus why its in his level. Don't want to deviate too far from that, but some changes can happen I guess

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 1

@Overbound: No I was using the current sonic Worlds delta build. As cool as it may sound I don't think they would even let me do that for the collab.

@Highwire4: She will play the same as E-122 Psi's Amy in sonic 1 hack but with peel out added.

Sonic should also get a new move

Edited by Kessler12

Welp, it looks cool and all, but the lava doesn't really fit in. It needs some better color scheme and less contrast with the sky. Remember that lava tends to release smoke into the athmosphere and gives off light as well. So it's pratically impossible that a region filled with lava would have such clear skies. For me, especially after Lost World, it looks like orange juice.

well you are right, but in The Mystic Realm mod had clear skies as crazy as it may sound XDDD and the lava doesn't fit with the tiles because is in Mode 7 and im too lazy to put the lava in the mock up, but i will do some actual screenies with all those "cool" stuff like magma that erupts from the floor and geisers that are actually like the springs but its a geiser and its cool XDDDD

uv0u.png

0jkz.png

I'm still tweeking the greens, but what do you guys think? Think it works?

I also solved my little level design problem by just moving path three up. It flows pretty nicely now. 

EDIT: Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZ09s2efPc

The original level has blue skies, thus why its in his level. Don't want to deviate too far from that, but some changes can happen I guess

Wow. This looks very good! It gives off a "Mirror's Edge" sort of feel to it because of the red crates and white bars.

The only suggestion that I have is to limit the amount a crates stacked on top of each other, since it looks kinda dark without the lights. Other than that, keep up the amazing work!

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan