A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

[qimg]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg152/scaled.php?server=152&filename=monitors2.png&res=landing[/qimg]

Don't know if this is an improvement, but I changed the light source so that it's completely top-right instead of on top for the frame and top-right for the monitor screen. I also made the speaker box slightly taller and widened the pole that holds the frame to the speaker box. Knobs were added thanks to the new taller size, and I'm thinking of putting some itty-bitty text on it that looks like EGG.

Model is based off of the Philco Predicta television set that was introduced in 1958.

It's an improvement, but the basic design still hinders it from looking good as such a small sprite.

It's an improvement, but the basic design still hinders it from looking good as such a small sprite.

Do you think it would look better with a bit of color? I mean, the icons are supposed to be grey, that's the whole point of using the older looking model, as Sonic games always moved forward with their design. (Going from the CRT design to the Apple oriented design to the LCD flatscreen design with Sonic 1,2, CD, 3&Knuckles, and Sonic 4 respectively.) The joke was supposed to be instead of moving forward, I'd move back and use a more old-fashioned design as opposed to the more futuristic and current design of the monitors. However, a bit of some turquoise or sea-foam green might look cool on it. (Whenever I think of the 50's I think a bright turqouise-ish green hot-rod, diners, and the Predicta TV set.)

Ah. Well, here's a different design. This time it's got 2 flavours with options for a little bit of stuff on the speaker box.

monitors3.png

Didn't extend the monitor box outward any per se, but I did extend it somewhat for some better shading. I opted for either a golden screen frame with a silver holding frame and a turquoise speakerbox, or a silver screen frame with all that stuff. Don't know if the adding of the green bit on the gold one helped expand it for better shading, but I hope it's at least a little bit better. If anything, I should probably re-shade the green bit anyway.

(Darn it, forgot to put the nice shady bit around the silver version.)

So this would look better?

scaled.php?server=580&filename=monitor4.png&res=landing

Worked on the shading a bit for the green bit around the image. The EGG thing on the speakerbox will be kept, by the way. Also added in a 3rd size for best examination. (I figured that people might have trouble seeing at 2X, as it's a little small on my computer.)

A LOT better! Great improvements!

Here's a quick title screen concept I've got. Credit to Dr. Mecha for the 32x Sonic. I really wish that I could have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in the ring, but I'm no good with pixel art like that. I'm also changing the logo because frankly... it's boring. BTW, StealthyMC is SuperBliz's other name.

titlescreenconcept.png

@Sparks: Yup, it's meant to look like a wide speaker underneath it, like a radio. Checkered was really the only way I know how to make it look detailed while still being relatively small.

@Delta: Thanks. Glad I was able to make my monitor evolve like that.

So today I got an almost completed parallax system for Edge Of Darkness done:

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/SGCC1.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/tYNvi.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/LHyAJ.png[/qimg]

Ignore the checkpoint in the last shot lol. I was just testing the object was all. :P

Oh and by the way, I don't have a clue how to make the water have a ripple effect soooooo... Anyone wanna give me a tip?

Lastly, what do you guys think?

A tip? Just one: HWA

There is a filter that has the same purpose as the Lens extention, but doesn't have glitches like that one. You can see how I used that filter on an early beta of my fangame STH, (

, on the explosions and boost)

The way I would do it, probably would be by making an dark grey to black (since the filter works just like a height map would, it "bumps" everything that is white and don't mess with what is black) ocean in After Effects using the Clouds filter and would animate it, trying to loop it in the end. Around 10~20 frames to get a smoother effect. The bad thing though, is that you wouldn't be able to apply perspective so easily or cheaper, it would cost kind a lot since you'd have to apply alphas to get a smooth blending between the objects, for example. The good thing is that, there is an extention that do it, which I forgot the name right now (I guess it was called paralaxer, or something) that Sonic 2006:2D used on some bosses and stages and I used on the menu screen right here:

So in this way there would be the ocean/river/whatever using this extention (to give it a more natural feel) and the filtered greyscaled ocean object, using the same extention on top of it.

Kind of hard to explain and to do, but oh well, you asked how.

Btw, about the screens... It looks nice but I would change the palmtree pallete, it blends too much with the ground texture (I assume is the same pallete) and the leaves are blending in with the background forest. Either that or change the color of the forest to a more darker one... Which would be even better I supose, due the fact that it would make the foreground pop out and wouldn't draw much of the player's attention.

When I said new logo, but I mean the "Sonic Edge Of Darkness" logo itself, not the character sprites. I'm still using the SCD ring and having S,T, & K in the ring, but I used the 32x Sonic as a placeholder until then. And thanks, looks good.

@ Pedro, it's that for Game Maker or MMF2?