A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Updated Shimmering Shores. Now the bricks are in a checkerboard pattern instead of randomized:

[qimg]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/darkspikes598/widescreen-2.png[/qimg]

bluersky-1.png

Coincidence? =P

Anyways, I do like that checkered ground, and while the trees' leaves blend into the BG too much for my tastes, the rest of it looks pretty nice. :thumbup:

[qimg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/cloudstrife2006/bluersky-1.png[/qimg]

Coincidence? =P

Anyways, I do like that checkered ground, and while the trees' leaves blend into the BG too much for my tastes, the rest of it looks pretty nice. :thumbup:

Thanks. I'm currently edited the greens on the palmtrees and replacing the trees in the background to make it not blend so much. As for the grass, I made it by making gradient like block- rectangle things, then just flipping, rotating, and pasting underneath them in Paint

Blue Emerald, did you do that grass yourself?

If I recall correctly, I built it off of Sonic CD's Palmtree Panic grass in an attempt to make it look more original. But that was a long time ago; the level theme's changed to be more unique, so now I'm thinking about a way to make the "grass" look more like a leafy canopy.

As a Disney nerd I'm tempted to ask if the name is just a reference

I made a tutorial on how to make loops for genesis style backgrounds here:

http://sonicunited.org/hsfqmtif/forum/showthread.php?t=5346

edit: Actually, stickying that thread sounds like a good idea.

If you have any questions or my instructions were unclear anywhere, feel free to ask and I'll explain in more detail.

That loops tutorial was really well explained. Helped when I made my first tile attempt.

i know it needs some more polish but... yeah

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/wX6Cc.png[/qimg]

Lookin nice. Do the wings on that thing flap?

Looks nice, but all the buildings and towers and such make the background seem to busy.

BTW, who knows how to make loop or curving tiles, while still keeping the 128x128 size?

The thing about backgrounds like that is that they probably look fine in motion, but a still screenshot makes it look way too busy. It's the problem with all the screenshots of Sonic 4 that Sega keeps posting.

Hey like, nice screenshot.

My suggestion would be to change the buildings into white instead of the blue. Kind of similar to mirror's edge with its white and reddish designed buildings. But uhh, I dont know the whole stage so i wouldnt know if the white/greyish buildings would clash with other stuff.

However maybe you could adjust the blue into some softer/lighter blue

@Strife

thanks =)

@Delta Hedgehog

pretty much all Duckboy said

there is a lot of parallax objects there making a pretty good effect in motion

@Duckboy

nop, that's why i said it needs more polish

@Jwiwo

i think the colors are pretty much alright the way i've tweaked them

i dont know if there is need to change it

btw, i never played mirror's edge D=

Lets face it Delta could stand to be a bit more original. But fan games are built using remixed graphics from a limited library of games. There are bound to be similarities its a difficult thing to avoid. Obviously this is something Delta has done consciously. But everyone does this including me. This difference? I've had many years of practice so my inspiration whether if comes from a fan game, an official game, or Dexter's lab is much less noticeable. So as long as Delta's not stealing original graphics I don't think we should burn him at the stake for mock up tests that probably will be revisited and revised before any sort of game release.

Anyway I deleted the rest of the posts because it was obviously turning into a crusade. Please let this post bookend the discussion.

@Delta Nice man love how its looking.

@Blue Lol when i look at it it does look similiar towards Delta's post....

@USC looking good man. Is it going to be like Sonic 3D?

@LakeFeperd :)

@Hez Lava with snow? Is there a volcano around there?

My computer is very crappy.... but I got around to work on knuckles.

KnucklesTestStage.png

Edit: I will try to get Syndicate for pc :) that game is freaking awesome!!!!

@Strife

thanks =)

@Delta Hedgehog

pretty much all Duckboy said

there is a lot of parallax objects there making a pretty good effect in motion

@Duckboy

nop, that's why i said it needs more polish

@Jwiwo

i think the colors are pretty much alright the way i've tweaked them

i dont know if there is need to change it

btw, i never played mirror's edge D=

Lol, well you could look at this picture for a little clarification(and maybe for some inspiration)

mirrors_edge_2.jpg

I was mainly talking about the blue buildings in the bg. Maybe if the blue was a bit more light/subtle, it wouldnt clash so much with the other colors? Uhh, well I dont know tbh :P. Try it out if nescesary ^^

Lets face it Delta could stand to be a bit more original. But fan games are built using remixed graphics from a limited library of games. There are bound to be similarities its a difficult thing to avoid. Obviously this is something Delta has done consciously. But everyone does this including me. This difference? I've had many years of practice so my inspiration whether if comes from a fan game, an official game, or Dexter's lab is much less noticeable. So as long as Delta's not stealing original graphics I don't think we should burn him at the stake for mock up tests that probably will be revisited and revised before any sort of game release.

Anyway I deleted the rest of the posts because it was obviously turning into a crusade. Please let this post bookend the discussion.

I really didn't care, I just was stating the fact it looked familiar, I like what he did. I'm now more pissed you stole from me a good old fashioned flame war by deleting posts... :(

Looks awesome, Lake. But you should try to add a bumpmap and a specular map to those materials (both can easily be created usign CrazyBump, and an Specular Map isn't more than the diffuse texture bumped to a higher color, easily made on Photoshop or UDK's Material editor itself, using a few expressions).

The clouds on the ground looks suberb, but try adding a white height-fog on it an perhaps, if you want to get it fancier, some clouds particles floating above the "cloud-ground".

Also you should try bumping the colors up a little bit using some post process effects and perhaps even using some DoF so things on the back looks more distant. Can't wait to see a video of it in action! :3

Edit:

@Core: Besides from the rocks, everything looks better, IMO. Also you should work a little bit on these grass textures which looks too much oversized.

I really want peoples opinions on this one. I've been trying forever to come up with a desert ground for Derelict Desert. I used the striped pattern from Quartz Quadrant on the moving pattern and made it into bricks.

derelictdesertmockup-4.jpg

CREDIT to GAMERNERD ADVANCE for the cactus, I just edited the colors.

I apologize for the .jpg format, for some reason Photobucket is being screwy.

Looks too much photoshopped. You need to give it a more natural look and remember that it's a 3D brick (at least that's what the "bevel" make looks like) so the stripes have to react to the cracks and slopes on the bricks, to the elevation of some, etcetera...

Like this example that I set-up in 5 minutes (not too much accurate I guess) beeing the top one the edit, the natural looking. And the bottom one beein yours.

1RVG3.png

It's even lacking some color variation, on the brights you gotta make it brighter, on the darks gotta make it darker. I know that you used the pattern with some transparency to emulate the feel, but it doesn't work that way. You really have to push those colors up a little bit to get some natural look.

Also the sand could use some more orange IMO and shouldn't start right where the bricks finish. Try blending it somehow like this:

Pzlhv.png

All I did was invert the sand and place it going down and already looks like there is more depth in the screen.

• Like 1

Looks too much photoshopped.

Only a person who doesn't know Photoshop would say that. Photoshop has all the functionality of MSpaint and a lot of features for controlling color.

Delta what your bricks lack is contrast. If you are using photoshop consider playing with some adjustment layers levels and constrast for example. They are under the layers panel and look like a black and white circle. Under blending options a pattern overlay of stripes followed by a bevel will handle edges on bricks properly.