A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

If you were really persistent and clever, maybe you could store all of the tile data in a text document? Like so:

Say, for example, at the first number is the tile type (1 could be a flat surface tile in a light color and 2 for dark color). The last three number would be the X, Y, and Z coordinates respectively, which you'd multiply by the size of the tile in pixels during the game.

So, with this document in hand, you could load it into MMF2 and have some set of conditions that check whether the tile's coordinates are on-screen. If they are, create the tile object. If they aren't, destroy it.

If typing in each tile's data manually is too much of a hassle, then I would recommend building a basic level editor to handle it for you. It would take extra time, but I think it would help so much when dealing with this kind of stuff, and you have the added benefit of players being able to create their own stages if you want.

MMF doesn't use tiles, and if you make some system to import tiles into a level, it'll still be a pain in the ass due to losing MMF's frame editor for most purposes.

I personally think it would be better to just iterate through your various objects in the beginning and build an array. Or a series of arrays. I've talked about this subject before, and Dami made a small demo to demonstrate some of the concepts I was talking about at the time. I might do one myself in a little while in the optimization thread.

Didn't show this in a while.

PhoenixV2.png

Yes, Sonic Phoenix is back, with a 2.0 Engine, built off of Sonic Worlds.

Just fixed the Homing Attack and the Slide; now you'l only be able to pass very low gaps using it. Yet you'll be able to Spindash and Roll.

Expect a new level in the next screenshot.

PS. I'm still working hard on the Collab.

Thanks for the tips everyone, though I'm gonna stick with what I got going because it's simple and it works. I rather not try and fix something that's not broken. If I run into problems though, I'll be sure to mess around with the ideas y'all brewed up.

On topic though: I went through this whole thread and wow, fangaming has really evolved since the last time I've seen it.

You should've definitely made the reflex in the water. It still ahs some strange looking over there... and those mountains where the cranes are just look like resampling, besides the color difference. You should change it, unless you'll apply parallax on that, which I'm almost sure you will...

For each layer of hills, I'd say you should add more bumps the further back you go.. I think right now that even with paralax scrolling, it'll still kinda look like they're on top of each other, or that they're all the same hills but getting progressively larger.

Other than that, looks nice. ^^ Reminds me of Quartz Quadrant Past.

I cant help but think the ones closer to the screen should be lighter and the ones further away be darker...

But anyway I really like it.. The cranes remind me of Sonic Rush for some reason xD, They look like there secretly 3D models what play a part in stage somehow, like grabbing onto the hook and swinging across a gap with it :ssmile:

ikaramba2.png

Engine test for a monochromatic shooter. Basic theme of the 'game' so far is flipping between black and white - black ships travel on white space and treat black space as background, vice-versa white ships. The engine itself works well and even comes in two flavours - One Ship (right-click flips between colours) and Two Ship (right-click switches between them), though there's no penalty for same-colour collision yet. I'd like some feedback as to which [One or Two] would be the better option for the final game.

Also you can use the mouse wheel to change the size of the bullets so you can shoot all over the level. It's not instant (ship to cursor) so drawing is rather stunted, but instant 'drawing' drives a wedge between the gameplay and the ships.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27392295/ghostpolicec.exe

Thanks BlazefireLP.

Anyway thank you Strife critique. I think I'm going to have to go back and redo make some better custom rocks, edit the sticks in the water, and possibly add the shadow like LH said.

Hooray :P

Uhm... you know what would be good? If someone happened to get BlazeHedgehog's City Escape Lib and make a stage. But I doubt someone will...

cityescapephoenix.png

ONE SEC. WHAT?

PS. This is a direct copypasta of the lib. I only made a few changes to fit the Worlds-based Phoenix Engine 2.0. I may be releasing it for some tests, also.