A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

looking good... I edited a few things though :P

[qimg]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af96/vinegarstroke/sonicscreen.png[/qimg]

• I antialiased the hills so they don't look too sharp
  • Added a few purdy stars, though you were probs gonna do that anyway
  • I changed the second brightest colour in the reflections in the sea to a darker colour. I only noticed they were 2 different colours till I zoomed in
  • Changed the black in the distant tree trunks to the dark green from the bushes.

These are really nice changes but they also make it kinda look more night time than just before sunrise. I'll have to take a closer look at them before I decide what to use and not use. Thanks.

I'd be careful though, it seems like you use more colours than are needed when shading things. Try not to go over more than 3-5 shades per object unless it's absolute necessary :D

Yeah I've heard that before. Sometime colors get mixed up sometimes when I do colorswaps in photoshop. But really it doesn't matter much. STT is not a rom hack and if there are a few extra colors it really doesn't matter, as long as it looks good. In the end you can always use as many colors as you want and then just save it as a gif and choose the number of colors you want. Sir Euan taught me that trick. XD Posterizing works sometimes too.

@Everyone I'm glad you liked the City. The Buldings are edited from the Adventures of Batman and Robin so I thought having a nod would be nice.

@Overbound: I still think it can resemble a sunrise, since the small glow probably isn't enough to completely veil the stars. Also I didn't mention this before, but the Sonic sprite matches with the background very nicely; feels tropical. :>

@ Lark looking good is that on a MP3 player?

yessir

Mr.Driller!=P

Finally someone I know that recognizes the game!

These are really nice changes but they also make it kinda look more night time than just before sunrise. I'll have to take a closer look at them before I decide what to use and not use. Thanks.

Yeah I've heard that before. Sometime colors get mixed up sometimes when I do colorswaps in photoshop. But really it doesn't matter much. STT is not a rom hack and if there are a few extra colors it really doesn't matter, as long as it looks good. In the end you can always use as many colors as you want and then just save it as a gif and choose the number of colors you want. Sir Euan taught me that trick. XD Posterizing works sometimes too.

@Everyone I'm glad you liked the City. The Buldings are edited from the Adventures of Batman and Robin so I thought having a nod would be nice.

Aye yeah of course, I just find it good practice to keep the colour count low because it keeps things less confusing. It might be a cool idea to try and restrict yourself to the 4x16 colour palettes from the megadrive and then only add extra colours if necessary. I tend to do that with my 8-bit inspired music and only once have I gone over the limits.

About the just before sunrise thing: I thought it was a nighttime pic due to the colours being mainly cool/dark. I'd adjust the colours just above the horizon to a much warmer hue if you're trying to convey sunlight :D

Aye yeah of course, I just find it good practice to keep the colour count low because it keeps things less confusing. It might be a cool idea to try and restrict yourself to the 4x16 colour palettes from the megadrive and then only add extra colours if necessary. I tend to do that with my 8-bit inspired music and only once have I gone over the limits.

Naw, 32 bit 2D games used more color than 16-bit games. The only real reason to limit your colors is because of limits to the hardware. Plus in the end limiting color just creates more work for yourself. That's not to say I don't limit my colors to an extent. For foreground tiles I try to use four or so basic colors but I never strictly limit myself. Computers can display 32 million colors haha. Plus at least to me, most of our fan game art looks better than art for hacks. I think that has a lot to do with the color limitation.

I use a lot of drop shadows, hue/sat/level/contrast shifts, gradients, and other effects in photoshop. My art looks better for it. I'm not the only one though Rael and Sir Euan do/did too. That's actually what made me start doing that too.

About the just before sunrise thing: I thought it was a nighttime pic due to the colours being mainly cool/dark. I'd adjust the colours just above the horizon to a much warmer hue if you're trying to convey sunlight :D

Ahh that looks even better thank you.

@Overbound: I still think it can resemble a sunrise, since the small glow probably isn't enough to completely veil the stars. Also I didn't mention this before, but the Sonic sprite matches with the background very nicely; feels tropical. :>

Thanks I really like gardow's sprite too.

Animals are stayin, No eggpawn varieties. Just recolors.

Regarding animals I guess it's a matter of taste.

They don't belong to a Sonic game and look ridiculous. But that's my opinion.

But not using Sonic Colors' eggpawns is silly. Basically they are just different skins of good old eggpawns. Seeing a bit different looking enemies is much more pleasant to the eye than seeing just stupid recolors. And who said that you can't use recolors AND different types of pawns?

Another argument to porting colors' eggpawns to the game is that their sprite rips are already floating at the spriter's resource.

But of course that's your game. If you feel like using recolors but not using different types of pawns it's your right. That's just a waste of good resources imo.

A moderate update from my direction.

HiddenPalaceReef.png

I altered the lava reef sheet by skylights so I can have more to add onto hidden palace, I had to make the crystals purple so they'll fit into the standard palette.

This is the new title card, not too flashy, if anyone has any better ideas, I'm down for whatever I suppose.

NewhiddenPalaceTitleCard.png

I took the time to carefully recreate hidden palace as well as I can, then, I continued from the area where it ended in the original sonic and knuckles and I'm going to design a whole zone from there.

HiddenPalaceRecreation.png

HiddenPalaceRecreation2.png

The master emerald has been taken again, as indicated by the picture.

I started to the continuation from there.

Hiddenpalacecontinuation.png

Hiddenpalacecontinuation2.png

Hiddenpalacecontinuation3.png

Hiddenpalacecontinuation4.png

Hiddenpalacecontinuation5.png

There's not much since I just started the continuation yesterday while talking with Rael on messenger, so hopefully I can get more done, I want to release this level as the demo soon. I have to code some badniks, still manage to work on a few tiles, make a boss, and work in a few gimmicks which Ill more than likely have to code. Got my work cut out for me.

NewNewTitleCard.png

How's that. I just realized that I don't have the zone marker on there so I'll probably add that and drop the sonic symbol in the background of it.

Edit: Alright i just made it a little better, I made it fade from black like Sonic and Knuckles, that way it doesn't seem so cluttered. You guys were seeing through the time card, which is probably why it seemed so complex. No More Sonic Symbol.

Try reducing the size of the zone name a bit. And add a shadow so it can be read better.

Well as far as a drop shadow goes, I'm not sure how necessary it would be, seeing as it slides in on a black background, but to aid it in appearing once the background fades then yeah, by all means I'll do it.

[qimg]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2104/backlu.png[/qimg]

This background is almost finished, I'm showing my current progress on it, I'll add clouds and such.

Note: This is not for a Sonic fangame.

Sonic or no Sonic, I want to have sex with that background.

I will throw in my two cents and say the shading on the mountains looks a bit peculiar, mostly because it's inconsistent with the rest of the style. That aside, I have no problems with this background. It looks freaking fabulous, and with some parallax scrolling I can only presume it'll look even better.