A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

@Strife: Do fucking want.

@Azu: Your previous topic about designing that kind of movement got me into playing Fraxy for awhile. Enemy editor is pretty simple to use and it plays decently with xpadder. Was almost hoping you were making a shmup game like that too with an actual storymode, but megerman is cool too. ;D

SCWScreen.png

Alright, my Construct Sonic engine is gonna be show at SAGE along with Digimon World Legends, and though it's very bare-bones at this stage (Sonic can't spin-dash yet, so it's basically Sonic 1 level), in many respects it's way better than previous iterations, so I'm gonna show off the current version of it anyway.

Also, I need to add more sound effects than just the death sound... Though some of you are gonna laugh your asses off when you hear it.

@Strife: Do fucking want.

@Azu: Your previous topic about designing that kind of movement got me into playing Fraxy for awhile. Enemy editor is pretty simple to use and it plays decently with xpadder. Was almost hoping you were making a shmup game like that too with an actual storymode, but megerman is cool too. ;D

I'm gonna do that with Construct once it hits 1.0.

ClockTower1.png

Though I was planning on doing this level anyway BEFORE SAGE (though the sheer amount of time needed for Digimon World Legends kinda killed that plan), due to the somewhat lackluster showings at SAGE this year, I intend to build up an additional level for my SAGE demo of Aria of Destiny/Sonic Construct Worlds, which I'll hopefully finish before the end of SAGE. It does have a bit of plot behind it, though - Julius gets inflicted with some kind of lethal curse thanks to Death, and Sonic has to rush over to the Clock Tower to grab the cure, and rush back. However, Death ain't gonna simply sit around and let him nab it...

I'm just not happy with the colors though they look sloppy or something I can't put my finger on it. Anyway another attempt:

[qimg]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5170721/attractionattackbg4.png[/qimg]

Take this post with a pinch of salt... but I think it's a problem of depth perception. The very far background is a deep purple which works well for showing how far away it is from the viewer, but the next background layer is a bright yellow and the next a subdued golden brown. The golden brown isn't so bad but the use of yellow/purple clashes badly with the foreground because they're too similar to each other. Not to say that you can't have a yellow/purple background, but that it needs to have darker/lighter tones than the foreground so it doesn't clash.

Attraction%20Attack%20Past%20BG%203.png

I think this picture is a bit better because the background has its own interesting colours and it doesn't clash with the foreground as badly. The only real problem is the purple cranes - particularly on the right side of the screenshot they look as though they're part of the foreground.

I'd say to fix it you'd want to take another look at spatial depth in painting (how the saturation or tone of a colour determines how close or far away it is). These links should prove useful - they're a bit of a wheeze text-wise but I hope they help you.

Spatial Depth in Black and White (The Basics)

Spatial Depth in Color (Builds on what you learned from the last page)

I have a doubt on my mind that doesn't let me sleep. lol

HRnewhud-1.png

This lower HUD is still WIP, kinda extracted from Sonic Colors. I made the "light" effect that appears on the bar when you're using energy working, but I'm still not too sure if I'm going to use this kind of inspired HUD.

I want suggestions.

Awww f*ck, I promised myself I wouldn't ever inspire on upcoming new Sonic games again. But whatever.

thtitle.png

Figured my title screen/logo building could use some practice. In the past, I just had the "Time Heroes" text there, but I think adding that Sonic-styled character ring is a tremendous improvement.

At first I couldn't quite decide what color I wanted the ring/logo background to be. Yellow would be too obvious of a ripoff of Sonic, IMO. xD In the end, I choose a brownish red because it contrasts really nicely with the planet backdrop, and it makes the space station in the background fit more seamlessly with the entire piece. When it comes to making colorful logos stand out, complimentary colors are definitely useful.

Seeing as how the game has two playable characters, I think I'll make it so that the game asks you to select your character before the title screen even appears, so long as there's no saved games detected. Otherwise it'd just pick the last character you used for the logo.

...And yes, Ristar was a huge inspiration for this one. xD;

Well i finally got MMF2 so im still getting the hang of it, so you guys remember the 3D Splash Hill pics i posted here the other time? well im going to try to separate that project into 2, the 3D one and this 2D version of it, i call it Sonic 4 Re-Genesis (well for now is a working title, and i think i remember somebody doing a game called Sonic Re-Genesis so sorry if i took the name ñ_ñ)

i didnt do much for the moment only some spriting work on sonic, so i used Sonic 3 sprites as base for the Sonic 4 sprites, here is a pic of it:

2ufbucp.jpg

Yeah for now im using Delta as base, later on i will add the things missing.

Alright, I'm almost finished, but I might as well post some more screenies of the Clock Tower level...

ClockTower2.pngClockTower3.pngClockTower4.pngClockTower5.png

Basically, I've got Castlevania in your Sonic. XD But seriously, the Clock Tower is an interesting setup - rather than a simply linear "A-B-C" progression, you go from A to B to A again - you enter the tower, get what you came for, and rush back out again...

Oh, yeah, and when I said Death wasn't simply gonna sit around and let Sonic take the cure? I wasn't kidding. Seriously.

ClockTower6.png