A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

*Gasp*, a non-crossover, non-Sonic fangame from moi?!

Basically, while I'm waiting on a couple of things, I've decided to start a side-project of sorts - a Digimon RPG fan-game.

DigiRPGPrototypeScreen.png

Right now, it's pretty much in the prototype stages, as no doubt I'll need an actual team to make a proper game outta this. It'll be based on the Digimon World DS games, with some additions. I'll make the overworld engine and battle system at least, first, before I actually try to form a team.

Yikes! Your level looks great, but that loop is a disaster. Luckily for you, I made a tutorial on how to make loops from genesis tiles in MSPaint. If you need help, let me know!

Excellent tutorial! I do agree, the loop is a nightmare in its present state. I have it under control, but the main thing that I can't get down right away is the parallax setup. This is my more worrisome issue. I sent a PM to you a while ago for help but I don't know if you got it yet.

Any help given regarding this can be explained on the Sonic Worlds - Parallax Setup That's Slightly Different - thread that I created, I explained and demonstrated my issue the best I could there and it's still open for helping. I appreciate any help, a lot!

That actually looks pretty cool, defiantly something I'd try. However I've never played a Digimon game are they like Pokemon games?

The problem is, while the Digimon anime is way better than the Pokemon anime by far, Digimon hasn't really reached the Pokemon standard of quality, mainly because, until the DS games, the RPG games kept changing gameplay styles between games. Digimon World 1 was a real-time JRPG, DW2 and DW3 were dungeon crawlers with different battle systems, and DW4 was a hack-and-slash game. Even the Ryo games, which had a connected plotline between them, couldn't agree on which style to stick to - the first one was basically Fire Emblem with mons and a isometric grid. The last one was a more regular turn-based JRPG. Go figure.

The "Digimon Story"/Digimon World DS games are actually consistent with each other, however. Not quite as good, long or as 'deep' as Pokemon, but they do have their similarities. The battling is you party of 3 vs. any number of Digimon on the enemy field, it works on a row-based grid system of 5 "ranges" for each side, you can place your mons anywhere on your side of the field. Like Pokemon, moves show power, effect, attributes, etc. but they also have a number of grid spaces they can hit, some attacks can hit any two or three adjacent spaces on the grid, others are locked onto specific spaces. Some bosses are actually large enough to take up multiple grid spaces! (And thus take more damage from multi-range attacks.) Mons can equip stuff like any JRPG, weapons, armour, etc, which can raise all sorts of stats, and even give new attacks.

Outside of battling, it's not really memorable, just walking around, looking for loot, battling, and heading to your next destination in the main story or side-quests. The raising is interesting, though, it basically takes the "day-care" concept and runs with it with the Farm system, you can have multiple farms where you raise Digimon, but unlike Pokemon, you're actively involved in the process, putting stuff in the farm to raise certain stats, and whatever, not just levels. EXP is also a major factor, you have to be aware of the types of EXP, some evolution levels require a certain amount of a type of EXP. Speaking of evolution, it's a lot more complex than Pokemon, as every Digimon at their base form has at least two evolution lines. You can de-volve your Digimon at a certain point, something the game actively encourages with the "Aptitude" stat, which is basically a level limit that raises when you devolve the mon, the more stages devolved in a single jump, the higher the raise. In most cases, it's actually a requirement to reach Mega.

... Oh, now look what you've made me do.

tl;dr: The Digimon World DS are kinda like Pokemon, but different in many ways, not quite as good, but good games in their own right.

So what about your game what battle system do you plan on using? How many digimon are you planing? Are you planning on using the evolve farm system you talk about above?

There's a thread for the game, you know. XD But in any case, it's gonna be similar to the Digimon World DS games, in both battle system, and if I manage to assemble a team to actually get the whole thing organised, as many as Digimon World Dawn/Dusk... Which had nearly 400. 397, to be exact.

Yeah, you can imagine that's gonna be a lot to get through. Though, this is partly why I picked the DWDS style, because a bunch of guys actually ripped every single one.

Also, your level looks great.

I remember the green stuff from the original version of Time Twisted. It was really sticky and hard to move in; it was made by a snail badnik whose sprites were taken directly from an unmade Sonic 2 level found in the Simon Wai beta... Or was it ripped from the final? I dunno.

Also, nice. I look forward to playing it!

Scatta Syncback?

Those pillars were that last part of the level to be made. I had an extremely hard time figuring out what the background should look like in the past. When I chose them and made them I felt as if I was settling for them but after getting them in game I'm extremely happy with them. I made them from this piece I found in Sonic Advance 3.

pillers.png

The pillars cover the whole map and then at the top of the map there is a ceiling which I made almost from scratch I won't show I picture because it won't due it justice but it has kinda a neat 3D coming forward look to it.

Toaster had it right the green goop is the sticky stuff that the robot snail leaves behind it. He's just off screen. You might also notice that Sonic isn't in the shot, that's because I snail hit me and Sonic is currently flashing. The snail looks like this:

Snailtest.png

Ristar I like your screenshot. I like your Sonic sprite too, he just looks a bit dark next to all that sand.

:D

tbf i'm fine with the sonic sprite, looks okay to me. but yeah I think the background is way too bright. I was going for a white cliffs of dover sort of look but it's a bit of an eyesore.

gonna have an adjust of all the colours today. thanks for the feedback though.

there's no engine for the game or anything yet, I'd prefer to make all the graphics and music first and then they can be tweeked appropriately.

plus I make turd engines.

Scatta Syncback?

It's the program I use to back all my work/music/videos to an external drive. There's also 25GB of storage on Skydrive if you don't have an external- all you need is a Windows Live ID. You said everything's go so well that you should watch your back and a lot of people fall victim to data loss, so this is one way to do that. :P