A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New iPhones...

Mr. Potatobadger

Wow, apple. Wow. You have NO idea how pissed I am at apple.

Just, just watch these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCetsl-srk

That one doesn't piss me off as much as this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUPth77L_o

That sensor is NOT advanced in any way shape or form.

I have one built into my laptop, I have one built into the desktop I never use but my family does, my friends cheap $150 laptop has one, you can buy a USB finger scanner at the store for around $15.

Then... I saw the second one I listed... People say nintendo was desperate with the 2DS? I can't wait for the 2DS, it fits looks like it fits in the hand better since the buttons are raised, it's cheaper and has a longer battery. I'm sold on it, it was a good move on nintendo's part. I'm gonna imitate the apple guy now.

"We did absolutely nothing to the existing iphone, and now we're going to pass it off as something innovative and extraordinary, for only like 900 more dollars. It's the most beautiful and original thing we've done with the iPhone yet"

Are they that stupid?! Can't they wait until the iPhone 6 when they will hopefully have something better to offer other then? No, it's like every time they finish something, they're like,

Mark: "HEY, HEY PHIL! GRAB THE MARKETING STAFF WERE MAKIN' A NEW IPHONE!"

Phil: "Umm, are you sure? we just finished doing those 2 things and were gonna pass them off as the iPhone 6 already?"

Mark: "Heck no! let's split what we've done in half, and pass them off as additions to the iPhone 5, and deprive people of their money!"

Phil: "Aww yea Mark, let's do it, great idea!"

Ugh... I want to hear what others think of this utter crap. I want to see if someone can give me a reason why those are good ideas, and why they couldn't just wait until iPhone 6 to combine the 2... I honestly like apple, just not their PC's, so please don't call me a hater or anything. I love my iPod 4.

YES! This guy read my mind.

I love my android smartphone.

BECAUSE EMULATORS

The first thing i did when I got it was download a sega emu, and checked out all the SHC entries on it since I'm too lazy to look at them on my PC.

I also downloaded an NES emu with all the megaman games.

I had to hack the living crap out of my iPod to get any sort of emulator, and the graphics were terrible, and the sound made me want to cry my ears out.

I have a couple of emulators and Zookeeper Battle. My phone has too little system memory for whatever reason (only 150 MB!) for me to install stuff, so emulators are very useful.

Sometime ago it annoyed me how interesting games would show up on iOS and not get ported to Android, but this seems to be improving nowadays.

Just remember you can always choose to not buy their overpriced shit and get something a bit more friendly to the wallet.

Overall, I'm not impressed at all - although their stupid names for things make me laugh: "Touch ID Sensor", "Retina Display", etc. With all the NSA bullcrap going on, it doesn't sound as nice.

I dunno if Jobs would've let a cheaper alternative come out, but what I'm sure of is that he would never allow such a ridiculous looking case that looks like a Connect 4 board that makes the text and logos in the back creep out in a pretty messy way.

I'm happy with my old as fuck cheap samsung android phone, but I sometimes want to just grab my old nokia and use it again. Smartphones get irritating, but I do like being able to ssh with it...

Ballsacks, those advertisements were just pretentious. Like, I mean dew forming pretentious. I have an issue with any piece of technology that spends more time explaining the polishing and color choices of the case rather than the actual technology in its advertisements.

I see it didn't take long at all for Apple to start milking their "we're still INNOVATIVE!" card now that Jobs is dead. I wonder what REVOLUTIONARY sci-fi gadget they'll duct tape onto an existing product to sell next.

Apparently this model existed before Jobs passed. Now, i've never really cared for apple, but never before have I felt just insulted by a pitch like this before. If I was an apple fan i'd be pretty angry.

@gsoft

I agree with you 100%, but what's funny is I heard that the iphone 5C is like $100 dollars more than the regular iPhone 5.

So you basically have to be retarded to buy one.

With their "REVOLUTIONARY NEW CASE THAT COMPLIMENTS THE STYLE OF THE 5C WITH GRACE AND BEAUTY!" they can facepalm themselves because people are still going to buy otterboxes and other cases for it and it WONT BE ABLE TO SHOW DEY STYYYYYYYYLE

@Serephim

Heck yea, I agree. I still don't see why they didn't just wait until iPhone 6, which will OBVIOUSLY have both color options and "the revolutionary finger scanner that you can buy for $15 at best buy" so why even bother?

I can guarantee that someone will:

A: Hack an iPhone 5 and stick a finger scanner inside and become famous, although my friends dad already did that buy putting an iphone 4's innards inside an iPhone 5 to make room for the scanner.

or

B: Paint an iPhone and pass it off as the 5C and somehow make money.

Which I'm sure has been done already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWeSeUePq4

APPLE. IS .YOU. ARE. A. RETARDED.

Now with the NSA on us and stuff, THEY HAVE OUR FINGERPRINTS TOO!

That is to say if they don't already, my finger has been all over my laptop little scanner

@gsoft

I agree with you 100%, but what's funny is I heard that the iphone 5C is like $100 dollars more than the regular iPhone 5.

So you basically have to be retarded to buy one.

With their "REVOLUTIONARY NEW CASE THAT COMPLIMENTS THE STYLE OF THE 5C WITH GRACE AND BEAUTY!" they can facepalm themselves because people are still going to buy otterboxes and other cases for it and it WONT BE ABLE TO SHOW DEY STYYYYYYYYLE

@Serephim

Heck yea, I agree. I still don't see why they didn't just wait until iPhone 6, which will OBVIOUSLY have both color options and "the revolutionary finger scanner that you can buy for $15 at best buy" so why even bother?

I can guarantee that someone will:

A: Hack an iPhone 5 and stick a finger scanner inside and become famous, although my friends dad already did that buy putting an iphone 4's innards inside an iPhone 5 to make room for the scanner.

or

B: Paint an iPhone and pass it off as the 5C and somehow make money.

Which I'm sure has been done already.

My opinion? Well it's gonna be long to explain. I'm an android lover, with just getting an S4 and all. There's alot of things you can do on Android that you can't in IOS. (especially in the case of the Galaxy S4) But I also go to the Ipod for an MP3 player, just plain easy to use since all I use it for is to listen to music.

Apple's been a bit behind the ball when it's come to their phones from a hardware standpoint. Hell the iPhone 5 was the first to have 4G LTE, while 1 year and 7 months earlier the HTC Thunderbolt had it. (with a better processor and more RAM then the 4 and the 4s)

From an OS design standpoint, since Steve Jobs' death, alot of changes have been done, much to it's benefit. Steve Jobs had the idea that everything should have a retro look to it, hell the game center's background was designed after the leather stitching in the seats of Jobs' own private jet. But looking at it from another angle, IOS 7 looks like it's just an attempt to model itself off of Android and the Windows Phone.

Siri isn't even worth mentioning, although it's a neat thing to have, it doesn't really interest me all that much. (Samsung Galaxy devices all have their own take on the voice assistant simply called "Galaxy" and Android 4.1 has "Google Now")

The Apple A7 and M7 Processors don't get much of an opinion from me simply because I want to see what they clock at before they do anything...Well having a separate processor just to hand motion controls just says to me, "Hey, we were too cheap to beef up the A7 enough to handle everything, so here, have another processor to handle just that!"

tl'dr:

I'm not that all impressed with with Apple with the 5C and 5S, with it's hardware changes and software changes, and nor do I really care about them either. I don't want an iPhone.

@LiB: That "retro look" you talk about is actually skeumorphism. Make the game center look like a board! Use faux wood panels, leather stitches, and other dumb looking elements!

...actually, I'd take boring skeumorphism instead of... whatever iOS7 is trying to be. I mean, Windows Vista was funny enough with all its GLASS shit, but iOS7 takes it to a whole new level. It looks like it's been designed by someone that never read about interface design.

This thread:

"EERRRMAHGAWD I HATE APPLE. APPLE SUCKS DONKEY DICKS. ONLY FAGGOTS USE APPLE PRODUCTS. ANDROID IS MUCH BETTER. I MUST SUCK ANDROID DICK"

The fingerprint thing might be useful. It seems like the technology is much more solid than a $15 scanner from Best Buy. But that's not the real reason to get the 5S.

When the iPhone first came out, they came up with some pretty cool apps. It might be even cooler seeing what people can do with a 64-bit processor.

Oh yeah--you guys sort of breezed over this one--it has a 64-bit processor. Does your Android have one? No? The increase in available processing power might make it so someone can design an add-on and turn your iPhone into a Tricorder. Or Universal Translator. Or some other futuristic thing. It may not happen with this generation, but forward progress is good.

But at the end of the day, buying an iPhone versus a Samsung is essentially like buying a Toyota over a Honda. They both do what you want to do, only in a slightly different way.

There's really no point in having blind rage over something like that. It's a matter of style. To each his own. It's not affecting you in the slightest. So cool your jets.

You know...since my parents took and swiftly lost my Lumia 710, the 925 is looking really nice. (I don't need the newest one, it's really expensive anyway.)

But yeah... The iPhone 5 line looks...technically bad, though I am of the unpopular opinion that the UI is very pretty. It's much...softer than the old iOS. I like that. I see so many people bitching about it saying things like "obviously whoever designed this has never touched a design class" or "as a design student, I can say this looks like shit."

Well guys... As a consumer, I can say it looks very appealing... And I'm pretty sure they weren't trying to please their critics so much as the common buyer. That's not to say I'll get one, but still, it's pretty.

What I can say against it is that HOLY SHIT that thing is overpriced! What the hell are they thinking?

EDIT: 1LT says most of what else I wanted to say, if not all or more.

The bottom line 1LT Worm is that Apple likes to keep you in a closed ecosystem which maximises Apples profits and limits user choices. And Android is open and free you can pretty much do what you want with it and use whatever software you want with it. So yeah fuck Apple and their whole way of thinking.

My main issues with Apple's products is that they charge so much for such a locked up phone with no freedom compared to other products on the market such as the Android OS. They're simply rereleasing the same tech each year with minute changes. I think I'll just stick with my Lumia 920.

My main issues with Apple's products is that they charge so much for such a locked up phone with no freedom compared to other products on the market such as the Android OS. They're simply rereleasing the same tech each year with minute changes. I think I'll just stick with my Lumia 920.

yeah, each time i want to download application from my dad's iPad 2, it always ask me the password of the iPad! :v

maybe, Apple mean to secure iOS devices from grief or even owner's friends :v

well, am i the only ho have iOS device? =(

No, I personally own a 3rd Gen Nano, a 4th Gen Touch, and an iPad 2. I also use iTunes regularly, like right now, listening to the AtS soundtrack.

I'm happy with them as a media device, for I don't even use them all that much, only really on long flights. I don't even mind that I can't emulate games on them, hell I normally carry my DS Lite and 3DS anyways. (not to mention my touch is broken lol)

The bottom line 1LT Worm is that Apple likes to keep you in a closed ecosystem which maximises Apples profits and limits user choices. And Android is open and free you can pretty much do what you want with it and use whatever software you want with it. So yeah fuck Apple and their whole way of thinking.

However, their closed ecosystem:

- has a rich and robust set of applications

- has a limited numbers of configuration, maximizing compatibility

If I get an app and the specs says it will work, it will work.

In contrast to Android's "open" ecosystem, it:

- has a rich and robust set of applications

- has a great multitude of configurations, meaning programmers have to either program to the lowest common denominator or make a choice of what phones they are program for (e.g. processor speed, multi-touch interface vs. single touch)

If I get an app, it may or not work. A friend of mine couldn't even play Angry Birds on her phone that she purchased late last year. ANGRY BIRDS.

Apple is a company, and a company's purpose is to make money. While Android might be open and free, Google is still a company, and they're still making money. Don't be foolish...they're not doing this just to be nice.

...a company's purpose is to make money... Don't be foolish...they're not doing this just to be nice.

Wow... mind blown... How did you ever discover this?

Ahem, of course Google is in it for the money! This is capitalism! Honestly we've been going to this same forum since 2006 at least. That means unless I started here when I was 6 I have probably made it to high school. I'm 25! Don't you think it's a bit foolish to assume I do not know Google is a for-profit company? Good grief... Unless of course you knew I knew and that was some sort of sad personal attack because you feel threatened by the fact I despise Apple...

I did not suggest Google wasn't in it to make money. If anything I implied I prefered their business model. They make money off of advertisements while giving away their software. It's a great business model and if more companies did it we could stop pretending there is scarcity in digital goods. Imagine if all those tv show videos on the Pirate Bay had advertisments. Media companies could charge for ads and piracy would be greatly diminished. All media companies should let people distribute their software, videos and other media freely provided you leave the ads intact.

As for fragmentation, it's really only an issue for the uninformed. Whom I really don't sympathise with. If you want a phone that can run everything buy a powerful phone. You can buy a powerful Android phone that will run almost every app for the same price as an Iphone plus you are still free of the limited and more expensive Apple Ecosystem. Arguing against fragmentation is like saying we should be forced to buy expensive phones. If you get a phone for cheap phone don't expect it to do everything. 300$ laptops don't run all software either but Crysis is still a thing. As with computers and laptops fragmentation will become less of an issue as phones become more powerful and the industry matures.