A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New iPhones...

Mr. Potatobadger

Objection.

"- has a rich and robust set of applications"

....which are mostly in-bred coppies of each other, or access to websites you wouldnt NEED in the android..since android has FLASH.

"has a great multitude of configurations, meaning programmers have to either program to the lowest common denominator or make a choice of what phones they are program for (e.g. processor speed, multi-touch interface vs. single touch)"

then that's the problem of the consumer. They would get the Device that best fits their needs. If youre using a cheap android phone, then you wouldnt HAVE it to play those High-end apps. YOu would have a more powerfull device for that.

I got a my android smartphone about 2 weeks ago. (I'm not sure what it's called, but it's an LG about a year old by now)

Within MINUTES I loved everything about about it more than iPhone. I've always prefered iPhone over android, but I've never actually owned an android phone until a few weeks ago. I can't think of ANYTHING my android can't do that my ipod/an iphone can.

I think android is a good option for an aspiring developer as myself. It's a lot easier to get things on the play store, while you practically have to have a mac to get things on iOS.

I will say this:

iPhone is much more user friendly than android, and I personally think iPhone is a better option if you're a business person.

My stepdad is a VERY important manager of a company I won't mention, but I will say things have been easier for him since he got an iphone.

I consider iphone a good business phone. My dad is a stand-up comedian, an auctioneer, and owns a pressure-cleaning company all at the same time. He tried android which he HATED for what he is doing. He says if he's going to have a smartphone, it should be an iphone. Right now he uses a flip phone :P

To sum up what I just said, the person using the phone is what decides which is "better" from a non-physical standpoint.

Android and IOS are both just awful. Android less so from an operating systems perspective, but more so from the perspective of having few good apps... not that most IOS apps aren't garbage. So are Windows Phone and Blackberry OS. If I were going to get any particular phone, it'd have to be an Ubuntu Edge purely because it doesn't treat you like an infant.

In short, I hate phones.

- has a great multitude of configurations, meaning programmers have to either program to the lowest common denominator or make a choice of what phones they are program for (e.g. processor speed, multi-touch interface vs. single touch)

That's rapidly becoming an issue with IOS devices now too since you have late model phones and earlier model phones as well as the various tablets all with wildly different capabilities. With both platforms you have to put a wall down somewhere. Sure, there are more devices that are current at any given time with Android, but it's not like everyone keeps their IOS devices current.

Unless of course you knew I knew and that was some sort of sad personal attack because you feel threatened by the fact I despise Apple...

A personal attack over the internet? Nah bro, that's retarded. But there is a taint over this entire thread that screams, "Ahh, a company is making money and is thus evil!"

Objection.

"- has a rich and robust set of applications"

....which are mostly in-bred coppies of each other, or access to websites you wouldnt NEED in the android..since android has FLASH.

"has a great multitude of configurations, meaning programmers have to either program to the lowest common denominator or make a choice of what phones they are program for (e.g. processor speed, multi-touch interface vs. single touch)"

then that's the problem of the consumer. They would get the Device that best fits their needs. If youre using a cheap android phone, then you wouldnt HAVE it to play those High-end apps. YOu would have a more powerfull device for that.

1. Uh, no? Flash is not the end-all-beat-all programming code. I think maybe once or twice I've gone to a website in the past year and a half on my phone and said to myself, "Oh man, I really wish I had Flash right now." And it was more so because I wanted some information that the website had that could have been easily programmed in another language.

2. I would hardly call Angry Birds a high-end app. The people that buy that kind of phone are the kind of people who use their phone for fun. They buy a phone assuming it can play a game.

AThat's rapidly becoming an issue with IOS devices now too since you have late model phones and earlier model phones as well as the various tablets all with wildly different capabilities. With both platforms you have to put a wall down somewhere. Sure, there are more devices that are current at any given time with Android, but it's not like everyone keeps their IOS devices current.

True, but in Apple function, it'll blanket ban devices from getting updated.

(My iPod touch is a few years old, so I'm thinking that it will probably not make the cut to iOS 7.) Then the new apps that demand better performance will not be available to the older systems.

It's much like the old Windows vs. Apple debate. Windows computers are very customizable, but you have many more compatibility issues with components.

That's rarely an issue with software though anymore. There aren't a whole lot of programs these days that don't just work on Windows computers. It's not like the old days where everyone had to set IRQs and shit on soundcards and stuff anymore. Same goes with Android phones really. Yeah, you have to worry about performance and resolution and stuff, but you can generally count on most stuff working, at least on the popular phones that aren't made by vendors who just broke the operating system.

Basically if you just develop with Google Nexus phones and Samsung's Galaxy line in mind, you'll have your bases covered.

I don't think compatability is actually an issue any more for androids, as long as your phone is under 2, maybe 3 years old. I personally think the big-shot companies like LG, Samsung, etc have figured out that some things may or may not be compatible, and have worked around it.

I remember when my friends would complain about things not working on android phones, but I haven't heard that in the last 2 or 3 years.

Windows computers are very customizable, but you have many more compatibility issues with components.

Could you elaborate please? I'm pretty sure it's not an issue any more.

This thread:

"EERRRMAHGAWD I HATE APPLE. APPLE SUCKS DONKEY DICKS. ONLY FAGGOTS USE APPLE PRODUCTS. ANDROID IS MUCH BETTER. I MUST SUCK ANDROID DICK"

Sort of. I don't care enough about cellphones to ride one over the other. My only real problem with the Iphone5 is the overly pretentious aura they're throwing up. I don't like being insulted by advertisements.

I personally though Siri was cool. I remember thinking "Wow, the advancement of voice recognition software really creeped up on me." Perfect? Not by any stretch, but it was still a pretty neat feature to base that particular model around. Overpriced? Yeah, probably. But whatever.

Alright, so this topic is pretty much pointless. Here's what we've learned everyone.

We don't need to have a topic every time Apple rolls out a new phone. This is a predictable annual event and talking about products like this only brings peoples' bickering fanboy spirits into full view of everyone.

Stuff like this really just has no place here. This has been discussed more before the phone even came out than the Wii U had been over a month after the fact. That's sad.