A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ftb (old And Outdated Concepts)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait no longer!

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/f2C2aXW.png[/qimg]

This is pretty much both of them finished up. I may tweak them a little later on, but this is it, I suppose. What do you think?

Also, I cast my vote for World's Smallest Violin. With a dubstep/violin heavy track :V

Well, now I know what to call the Special Stage track (and what I'll do for it).

Hmmm, I do like that flower, though I do think we should opt for more original graphics for Frozen Foliage: it would be very glaring with all the original tiles so far. The Ivy-Sicle looks nice, though I was wondering what was up with it's eye for a moment before I realize it was put toward the front.

Think you could increase the size of those sprite previews for Ivy-Sicle and flower to the actual size compared to the Sonic sprite?

EDIT- Oh wait, that's the correct size. Derp.

Guest Mr Lange

I'm a little upset by this project. Everything about it hides the muffled screams of a BTS ripoff. The title, style, presentation, design choices, naming ethic... come on guys really? Frozen Foliage?

Everyone appears to be oblivious to it but I always see right through things like this.

I'm a little upset by this project. Everything about it hides the muffled screams of a BTS ripoff. The title, style, presentation, design choices, naming ethic... come on guys really? Frozen Foliage?

Everyone appears to be oblivious to it but I always see right through things like this.

Aside from the fact that this game is a fan prequel to Sonic 1 in the intentional vein of LakeFepard's works? Hell, I think he even allowed us to take residence in the fanon. In any case, part of my own motivation was to help make this partly as a thank-you to Lake for all the great shit he's done for the fans, and for all the inspiration he's given us.

Think of it as a fangame of a fangame, I suppose.

Name gripes aside, we're also trying our best to come off as less of a full-fledged rip-off of the actual "the Sequel" games in general, and more as a spiritual continuation of the mythos. Amateurs we are, but try we will!...besides, I'm following Jass's lead on this too. :P

Ha! Give 'em a break, they've never done stuff like this before and half of them are still in school. I admire them for their aspirations and dedication, even if some parts are... 'lacking'.

KEEP IT UP GUIZ.

Edit: That's not meant to be insulting to the team, btw. I just mean "everyone was new once and became 'great' by trying" etcetc.

<3

I know this as well, but I just decided not to point it out. My own game is a fair chunk of BTS rip-off, but I, and the FtB team, are still trying to keep things original.

Though I do whole-heartedly concur with your Frozen Foliage statement. Though, in reality, I imagine the two zones will actually be quite different.

Also, I believe Gecko and Jassbec have been rather unique with their enemy concepts, especially that roadrunner badnik.

@Gecko

I'll try something a little more fitting in terms of plant life, then. Also, I'll start work on Ivy-Sicle's vertical form soon.

Ha! Give 'em a break, they've never done stuff like this before and half of them are still in school. I admire them for their aspirations and dedication, even if some parts are... 'lacking'.

KEEP IT UP GUIZ.

Edit: That's not meant to be insulting to the team, btw. I just mean "everyone was new once and became 'great' by trying" etcetc.

<3

Haha, no biggie. One of my favorite things about this project is that it gives all of us amateurs a real workout - I haven't drawn at such a rate since I was in Jr. High! And my spriting abilities, while lackluster in my eyes, are hopefully getting better and better with each new sprite I deal with.

As I've said, we're no shining jewels in the sanctity of the SFGHQ, but we're putting plenty of effort into it. This is something that won't please everybody in different aspects, but we do get experience out of it.

@Alex - Alrighty, can't wait to see.

Also, I'm thinking about asking Jass if we can have some of our more experienced team members go over some the assets way later into the project and refine them a bit to be a bit more coexistant with each other, if that's fine with everyone of course.

Hey, go over them as much as you may need. Uniformity in art design is a good idea here; otherwise, you'll have a bunch of out of place sprites which is pretty jarring.

Also. I'm thinking of coming up with some Caliente Carnival aesthetics. Should I consider things like decor and the background?

Hey, go over them as much as you may need. Uniformity in art design is a good idea here; otherwise, you'll have a bunch of out of place sprites which is pretty jarring.

Also. I'm thinking of coming up with some Caliente Carnival aesthetics. Should I consider things like decor and the background?

Truthfully, I was thinking of having YOU doing the refining later. You impressed me a ton with your spriting skills so far, so you seemed like the natural choice. :B

As far as Caliente Carnival goes, I'd say go right ahead with stuff like that if you think you can handle it. As I've already demonstrated, I've got the utmost trust in your abilities.

Contrast seems to be an issue concerning some of our badnik sprites, especially with the Battlesnake and the Twitch-Switch. We'll have to find out how to remedy that in the future. In the meantime, we should focus on getting [beta] material out for Jass to implement and work with, and then figure out how we can fix it later on. Not saying we should half-ass everything of course, but we can't spend countless days (or more exaggaratedly, weeks) and such on a few assets.

Also Jass, should we consider renaming Frozen Foliage? Perhaps Frozen Flora? Flurry Flora? Snowy Sprouts? Glacier Greenery?

Guest Mr Lange

I was waiting to see if you'd admit it. The biggest problem I have with shameless ripoffs is when the culprits feign ignorance. It appears rather that this project is exactly what you're going for and living up to it proudly, so go for it.

Floral Frost is great.

Alternatively, Fridgid Fauna and Blizzard Brush.

I was waiting to see if you'd admit it. The biggest problem I have with shameless ripoffs is when the culprits feign ignorance. It appears rather that this project is exactly what you're going for and living up to it proudly, so go for it.

Floral Frost is great.

Honestly, I'm not sure how we could hide any Fepard influences with such a glaring title, lol. Glad to see you approve of our endeavors in the end.

All great names! Heck Jass, we could always look back over all the Zone names and see if any need sprucing up like this one.

Floral Frost is great.

<3

One day I hope to work 'Wet Whistle' as a zone, in to someone's game.

I did miss a lot eh?

I didn't expect Mr. Lange showing up, and using the word Foliage was some sort of reference to ATS not ripping of the name.

And yes, from the moment i started the project, i knew some people would call this game a "ripoff" and stuff.

but trust me, i has no intentions on copying anything, i just wanted to give Lake a "thank you so much" letter because of all he has done to the community, it might sound silly, but i really admire his determination and skills, he is truly one of a kind.

We are all beginners in this, it's my first big game project, it's going to obviously have it's flaws, it's not going to be perfect.

I want to be a Game Developer, and why should i wait, if i can learn about teamwork and game design while i can?

I'm getting a little emotional, i'm sorry. If some of you think the game is a ripoff, go ahead and say it loud.

Thanks to the team's effort, the game is shaping in a good direction, and i really apreciate all of you guys help, i mean it.

And Floral Frost sounds great.

Oh, and even if this game takes place in the Feperdverse and Lake himself gave me permission, i will try EVERYTHING i can to avoid making the game look like a copy of both of his games. I just wanna thank him for the inspiration, that's all.

That's pretty much what i've got to say.

Hate to double-post in any sense, but I made this using reused classic assets and some of the stuff we made so far:

[qimg]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/148/b/5/sftb___cave_complex_mock_up_by_starvinggecko-d66xd3q.png[/qimg]

Just a conceptual mock-up.

Oh, i was making a background for it but...

Screw it i like yours better.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I did miss a lot eh?

I didn't expect Mr. Lange showing up, and using the word Foliage was some sort of reference to ATS not ripping of the name.

And yes, from the moment i started the project, i knew some people would call this game a "ripoff" and stuff.

but trust me, i has no intentions on copying anything, i just wanted to give Lake a "thank you so much" letter because of all he has done to the community, it might sound silly, but i really admire his determination and skills, he is truly one of a kind.

We are all beginners in this, it's my first big game project, it's going to obviously have it's flaws, it's not going to be perfect.

I want to be a Game Developer, and why should i wait, if i can learn about teamwork and game design while i can?

I'm getting a little emotional, i'm sorry. If some of you think the game is a ripoff, go ahead and say it loud.

Thanks to the team's effort, the game is shaping in a good direction, and i really apreciate all of you guys help, i mean it.

And Floral Frost sounds great.

Oh, and even if this game takes place in the Feperdverse and Lake himself gave me permission, i will try EVERYTHING i can to avoid making the game look like a copy of both of his games. I just wanna thank him for the inspiration, that's all.

That's pretty much what i've got to say.

Pretty much this.

We're all pretty much beginners here, and we collectively decided to get together and form a team utilizing our best trade-skills to create something that gives back to the community, as well as being a showcase of what we can do best.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say this: thank you Jass, for uniting us under a common banner. Also for being a pretty cool dude. The rest of you peeps are great as well for doing all of this :D

^Me being gushy and stuff.

Also, I may need help getting down some tileset ideas for Caliente. I'm just envisioning a sort of embroidery pattern in some sand(stone). What do you think, and how big should the tileset be anyway? (EDIT: Also, I think I'm just being blind here, but I can't find that post with the Caliente concepts).