A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Element of Disaster w/ demo

screens4.png

I've decided to totally revamp this game. I've read everything you all had to say about it and have tried to address everything, especially the really crap collisions with enemies. In this demo, I've started over with a better engine and slightly updated level design.

The game now features:

-Edited and original graphics

-MIDI Music for size reasons

-360 movement and grinding

-UPJump and DOWNJump moves that can be performed by pressing up or down while jumping

-Reprogrammed collisions

-Spin dash and basic spin

-Fixed ring loss system

-Better bosses

-Other stuff...

Known glitches:

-Boss sometimes doesn't die

-Moving while spindashing

Those should be pretty easy to fix.

This demo contains a one act zone and a boss.

The new demo(2.83 MB)

Please tell me what you think about the game- Should level design be changed? Are graphics clashing? Any problems you can find, I'd like to hear about them.

Alright, finally another demo of a game. I'll give it a good run through.

I don't like the transparent white object in the background of the title screen. It's just ugly. Take it out. The logo is nice, though.

Okay, I've started the first level. My first thought was "this is a very nice title card." Then 15 seconds later I began wondering if the level would actually start. Way too long. Drags out. Make it no more than 5 seconds.

Controls are very sluggish. It feels like Sonic's on the moon or something. He stays at his apex way too long, and falls a bit too slowly. Collisions need work. Sonic sort of falls in the ground. Also, that's a really annoying jump sample.

I just got hurt in spikes, and Sonic sort of jumped back a few pixels and stayed high up for a while before falling. He should fly back about twice as far and not take so long to land. Also, what about a death system?

The rings bounce too high when dropped. Not only is it unrealistic, but it makes it hard to regrab them.

I liked the part where the checkered ball chased Sonic. It's little things like these that make levels more interesting.

Okay, so apparently Sonic can break through rocks by just touching them? It would be better if you could only break it by spindashing or jumping on them. Speaking of that, you might want to implement spindash.

I just landed on top of a kiki enemy (or whatever it's called) and killed it although I wasn't in my jumping animation. Fix it.

How does Sonic magically get a snowboard when he lands on a rail, and why do leaves fly out of it?

After Sonic gets hurt, he should be invincible for a little while. He should be able to walk on spikes.

seodscreen1.png

You can't tell because I took the screenshot a second late, but Sonic entered the snowboarding animation in the air. He's too far away from the rail for that to happen. Look into it.

A bird enemy hit me in my standing animation from underneath and it died. Fix it. Also, you should be able to regain rings as soon as they're lost. And enemy AI would be nice.

I'll be honest and say I don't understand the HUD at all. Add some text to it so the player knows what's what.

I can't figure out how to beat Robotnik, so after dying a couple times I'm giving up.

Only other complaint is this:

screen4.png

This ground should not float. It should be connected to main ground. It looks off. Fix it.

Overall, this is looking nice. The engine could use some fixing, but otherwise, keep it up. Level design was enjoyable, and you put in a fair ammount of interactive objects to keep the player entertained. Good luck. I can see this becoming something nice.

I can't figure out how to beat Robotnik, so after dying a couple times I'm giving up.

It's pretty silly; you have to jump and tap up to knock the spikeballs back at him. He does the supersonic transform animation for it. They totally home in on him, too. :/

Overall, the game's engine is sluggish, the HUD confusing, the collisions super odd, the sound innapropriate, and it simply wasn't fun, either. I'd blow off the other complaints if it were fun... -_-;

It's pretty silly; you have to jump and tap up to knock the spikeballs back at him. He does the supersonic transform animation for it. They totally home in on him, too. :/

Wtf? Shouldn't that hurt Sonic? I'd scrap this boss and make a new one.

This game is a good start just like Rael and Aero sayed fix the collisions, and the box is kind of weird since you would normally get hurt for something like that. The level design was ok. Better that mine a year ago I say that. Just fix the things Rael sayed and this would be a good game. Trust me he knows what he is talking about.

http://www.clickteam.info/extensions/extview.php?id=160

Download, install according to the instructions.

As for the game, you say it is almost complete? I can't say I liked it, at least as it currently is, but you've got some good ideas there. I say listen to complains, fix what needs to be fixed and you've got a great game there, especially if this is your first attempt. You just need to make it shine.

I decided to totally remove the MP3 music for now, but I might consider making two versions of the game with MP3 and MIDI music. As for my progress with the game, I'm re-doing all stages other than the first. There's a new demo link in the first post- and it's much smaller than before. Go try it out!

logos-1.png

The new name is: Sonic: Visual Veil System. I was looking at all those awesome logos in the logo request topic and figured mine was crap. So I made new ones. I'm not sure which one looks the best, but I'm actually leaning towards the last one since it has really saturated, bright colors, and that's the sort of feel I want for this. What do you all think?

sayi50 - I'll upload a better version to rapidshare soon enough.