A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Worlds Delta 1.3 Released

Aikocho

Ladies and Gentleman... Boys and girls... Fellow programmers in the Clickteam product line, and fellow fangamers alike. We finally give you...

Sonic Worlds Delta build 1.3

Primary Link:

http://holenet.info/SonicWorldsDeltaV1.3.7z

Mirror Link:

http://larkss.thisisourcorner.net/delta/SonicWorldsDeltaV1.3.zip

Plenty of changes have been made, and plenty of things have been added. Everyone, I do hope you enjoy what LarkSS, Techokami, Sparks, and Myself, McKaosu, have brought you to the table. Also, a very special thanks to Damizean for making the first step for us all in this 360 Sonic Engine.

Wow, so, holy crap what has been changed? A lot.

The first major change is the release of Lark's input system! As seen previously in Sonic Zero: Remastered, it allows for true gamepad support, analogue stick support, and rumble support, among other features.

Next are the addition of two more utility systems, the Positional Sound System (PSS) and the Family System (FS). PSS allows for ambient sounds with stereo panning. FS allows for easily creating and managing chains of linked objects. Examples of these systems have been provided for you to examine and learn from.

There is also a Ghost system! It records player input to have ghosts run through the level. The fastest ghost is saved. If you die, respawn at a checkpoint, then clear the level, your gameplay will be stitched together to create a single input sequence. However, if you get a Time Over, ghost recording is disabled for the remainder of the level.

You will have also noticed that the test level was completely redone! I made a new tileset that featured more curves and loops, and Sparks crafted together a big open level that showcases all the different gimmicks. Along with this, MCKaosu redid the sample music with awesome new Genesis remixes.

We also have a few new gimmicks! Button switches that control doors, automatic shutters, corkscrews, swing poles, and breakable walls are provided, in addition to some things added in 1.2C (pinball bumpers, lava).

Sonic also has the ability to run on water at high speeds! It is modeled after the effect in Sonic 3.

There is also an object to facilitate in creating ramps that you can be launched off of!

And all of this is on top of a metric ton of bugfixes and optimizations!

Sonic Worlds Delta V1.3 is the cumulation of a lot of hard work. We hope you enjoy this release, and use it to create high quality fangames! :D

It asked me for "Zip object" which wasn't included in the Dependencies folder. I have attached it to this message just in case.

Also, some extensions seem to have newer versions than the ones included in the package, like MMF2Params and fcFolder. I noticed that because I was updating them in my MMF2 folder and there were differences in date (the ones included showed an earlier date), version and size.

Apart from that, great work and my congratulations on the new release! There are some things in Sonic Worlds I find a bit redundant for a generic Sonic fangame, but it's a matter of preference anyway.

Loving the Knuckles' climbing update btw :P

ZipObject.zip

We only included extensions we could redistribute. Zip object is apparently part of a Bonus Pack, which we cannot include parts of because it requires a legitimate installation of MMF2. But apparently it's discontinued in favor of the Archive Object, and you can easily grab it off the site linked to in \Dependencies\Readme.txt, so... I dunno.

I got this file via ExtensionView, so I think it should be safe to redistribute. And yeah, it's an obsolete object that was discontinued a while ago.

Also, which Bonus Pack was it in, if it was? I thought I had all Bonus Packs installed...

Okay, I've used bonus packs a ton, so I've gotta ask... What's so wrong with including them with engines that use them? I mean, you can't run the engine without the extension and a legit copy of MMF2, so...

EDIT: Just tested the engine... Complaints about the incredibly linear level design aside, the improvements don't seem too noteworthy... The biggest difference being that the sprite no longer rotates on small curves, and the boss can actually kill me now because it lands where it should every time.

I'm not saying I don't like it, because I do... It's just that, from what I'd read leading up to the release, I thought it would be this super awesome end-all be-all dealy-bob...

Okay, I've used bonus packs a ton, so I've gotta ask... What's so wrong with including them with engines that use them? I mean, you can't run the engine without the extension and a legit copy of MMF2, so...

You need a legit copy of MMF2 to install the bonus packs. If the extensions were given out, people with pirated copies of MMF2 can use the extensions, which is No Good. It's also against the EULA for the packs and whoever is distributing the extensions standalone could possibly lose their MMF2 license :X

Things you can see... well, can you see the ghost of your previous playthrough? :o

Yes, and now that I've fiddled with the C button, I know this. (Problem is it never tells you that C does anything... This makes Super Transformations frustrating if you didn't know that.)

And all thanks to the ghost, all my previous complaints are null.

Countless hours of entertainment, GOOO!!

EDIT: Now, will there be any kind of ghost leaderboard, or will we simply have to exchange the .DAT files manually?

Just tested the engine... Complaints about the incredibly linear level design aside, the improvements don't seem too noteworthy... The biggest difference being that the sprite no longer rotates on small curves, and the boss can actually kill me now because it lands where it should every time.

I'm not saying I don't like it, because I do... It's just that, from what I'd read leading up to the release, I thought it would be this super awesome end-all be-all dealy-bob...

I'd just like to remind everyone that Delta is not a fashion show, but a base for you to build from. As Aerosol has mentioned, the biggest changes including restructuring and heavy optimization across the build, including the core player engine itself. If you are running Delta expecting entertainment simply by running it, you are using it wrong.

For some reason it crushes when I try to redefine keys (yes I've put that dll into system32 folder). I have the latest version of MMF2 and all the extension packs installed. So I can't move sonic around the level

Can you elaborate on the steps you took to change the controls? Also remember that you must apply changes; the save/load buttons are specifically for profile management (aka storing profiles for later use/trading with others). I'd also recommend updating all extensions that Delta uses. You can get the full list by opening the Data Elements view.

@All:

I have decided that Delta 2.0 will no longer exist. Delta 1.4 will be the last build which will include a generic level editor system to eliminate the issues with code and graphics redundancy, as well as enable some advanced features such as level streaming. After this I will be dropping my name from the list of Delta supporters. Keep in mind that even though I will do my best to make the level editor easy to modify, you are expected to adjust it to best match the needs of your game.

As a little more insight, some of you may already know what D2.0 was intended to be. My plan was to build an MMF2 extension that would calculate Sonic physics but not attach the calculations to a specific object. This would allow it to apply to the player, another player, enemies, gimmicks, rings, etc. The planned level editor would have sent collision vectors to the extension to obtain the most accurate slope physics possible (without using non-linear paths). After much thought on it however, I knew two things. One, most people were primarily interested in the level editor. Two, if I needed to resort to an extension to achieve ease-of-use and speed in MMF2, then MMF2 isn't what I should use for this project. I will still be creating the new engine, but within a different language entirely. It will have no affiliation to Delta or Worlds and as a result it will also lack in-built community features; sorry if this disappoints anyone. (Yes, I am fully aware Mercury is making an engine in Game Maker. The point of my recreation is for my own pleasure, not to outmatch anything he or anyone else may be making/have made.)