A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Worlds Delta 1.3 Released

Aikocho

Guest Mr Lange

Sorry you're a bit late to the party, Mr. Lange, but Clickteam did an insane sale as a last hurrah for MMF2, and made it available for only $1. Pretty much everyone jumped on it and has either gotten it for themselves, gotten it for other people, and gotten a bunch of extra keys for future users.

But you're still free to make a version for Construct Classic!

I don't see what any of that has to do with my point about Construct being a much better program for Sonic Worlds to be made in. Are you trying to say that since more people have MMF2 there's no point in doing the port? Completely off the point I made.

I don't see what any of that has to do with my point about Construct being a much better program for Sonic Worlds to be made in. Are you trying to say that since more people have MMF2 there's no point in doing the port? Completely off the point I made.

IIRC the original reasoning for moving away from MMF2 to something else was because Worlds Delta required a more recent version of MMF2, which locked out a lot of people using illegal copies of MMF2 (due to not being able to afford paying for it). When Clickteam made MMF2 available for $1, everyone was able to get a copy and be able to use Worlds Delta, which took out a lot of momentum for creating a port to another platform.

But I'm not saying that there's no longer a need to port it to something else, I'm saying that I won't be doing it. emot-v.gif You're free to port Worlds to whatever you like! I know Streak was making a port of Worlds to Construct Classic at one point, but it was more Sonic Advance-y in style since it was mainly for his fangame project.

Guest Mr Lange

IIRC the original reasoning for moving away from MMF2 to something else was because Worlds Delta required a more recent version of MMF2, which locked out a lot of people using illegal copies of MMF2 (due to not being able to afford paying for it). When Clickteam made MMF2 available for $1, everyone was able to get a copy and be able to use Worlds Delta, which took out a lot of momentum for creating a port to another platform.

But I'm not saying that there's no longer a need to port it to something else, I'm saying that I won't be doing it. emot-v.gif You're free to port Worlds to whatever you like! I know Streak was making a port of Worlds to Construct Classic at one point, but it was more Sonic Advance-y in style since it was mainly for his fangame project.

I took over that and made it start resembling the original worlds/Genesis games. I don't have the knowhow to finish the port, or make my own. Construct is a significantly better option, I really wish that meant something.

Guest Mr Lange

If you don't know how to port the engine to Construct yourself, how can you even be certain Construct is a better option at all? Hell, it's mostly just an exercise in replicating events and making sure you have each object needed for each of the events.

I know that the same way I know Game Maker is a better game dev software than Stencyl. I don't need to be able to port a whole Sonic engine to know that.

There's all kinds of variables and details in Sonic Worlds I can't identify or figure out where they belong, and some things I can't figure out Construct equivalents for, not to mention I barely know trig. Otherwise I'd have already finished the port.

Guest Mr Lange

That's a nonsensical comparison. And the trigonometry is already done for you.

It's not a nonsensical comparison. I can tell from experience using the software which is more intuitive and capable. I can tell how it will apply to Sonic Worlds. Hell just from what StreakThunderstorm ported so far my theory has been proven right. Yes the trig is done, but the methods for porting the expressions are different since they use different syntax, functions, and characters, and ensuring the code blocks are equivalent are not so clear to me. Also most of the variables in Sonic Worlds are tons of unlabeled temporary names, Alterable Value A, Alterable Value B, etc etc, it's too difficult trying to figure out every single one, where they belong, how to make the same structure in Construct, and also the object grouping systems appear to be just different enough to complicate things even more. I've already spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to port it, I'm at a loss on my own.

Also most of the variables in Sonic Worlds are tons of unlabeled temporary names, Alterable Value A, Alterable Value B, etc etc, it's too difficult trying to figure out every single one, where they belong, how to make the same structure in Construct, and also the object grouping systems appear to be just different enough to complicate things even more.

This is probably because you can't give Alterable Values nice names when they are from a qualifier object :/ You'll have to compare one of the sample objects of that group with the events.

Maybe for a next build, then... we can hope, right?

I find it a bit irritating, because the qualifiers editor is pretty much the same as in MMF 1.0. The same crap icons and fixed names... They added a lot of "eh" things such as a theme-enabled event editor, but skimmed over the very handy qualifiers. :<

I like how a bunch of them got changed over time too.  It's like early on the hanging bars qualifier was simply called something like group 16, but later it became group bosses.  Great.  Now we have to make sure we don't use that qualifier for actual bosses (or else change the platform qualifier to a new one by editing a bunch of events).

I like how a bunch of them got changed over time too.  It's like early on the hanging bars qualifier was simply called something like group 16, but later it became group bosses.  Great.  Now we have to make sure we don't use that qualifier for actual bosses (or else change the platform qualifier to a new one by editing a bunch of events).

You do know there is an option to switch back to the older generic qualifier names and icons? :V Tools -> Preferences, select the Event Editor tab and check the box for "Use old qualifiers". You might have to reload MMF2/CF2.5 afterwards.

Delta was designed to be used in old qualifier mode. You've been warned!

Edited by Techokami
Clarifications!

I didn't realize that actually. Do keep in mind that I'm not an expert on MMF2 or its various features by any stretch of the imagination. But you left it a little vague there... do you mean it was designed to be used in old qualifiers mode, or do you mean it was designed to be used in new qualifiers mode and you are warning me that it is what it's meant to be?

But you left it a little vague there... do you mean it was designed to be used in old qualifiers mode, or do you mean it was designed to be used in new qualifiers mode and you are warning me that it is what it's meant to be?

Oh sorry. I'm talking about old qualifier mode. I use the numerical names in comments, so new qualifiers will become hella confusing.