A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Worlds Delta 1.3 Released

Aikocho

Can you elaborate on the steps you took to change the controls? Also remember that you must apply changes; the save/load buttons are specifically for profile management (aka storing profiles for later use/trading with others). I'd also recommend updating all extensions that Delta uses. You can get the full list by opening the Data Elements view.

Well it crushes instantly when I press on any button to redefine key.

Just a nit-pick. Why isn't there any balancing animation or code when Sonic's sensor is at the edge?

You guys did a great job, and I should be thankful. But, hmm I'd expect that to be here. Shouldn't be too hard for me to figure out.

Thanks for the engine update guys!

@Felik: So, you open the mapping screen, press a button, and instant crash? Have you tried selecting different input devices and updating your extensions as I suggested? I can't even recreate this behavior on my 9 year old laptop...

@sonikku x: I thought about this while prepping D1.3. Since it would require additional sensors to accomplish and I was planning (at the time) to redo the engine, I didn't bother to add it in. However, since D1.4 is going to be the final release I suppose I can get that bit in there. I may add some additional sensors to fix Knuckles' climbing glitches too. Thanks for the reminder!

@Topic: Just pointing out that even though the main aspects of Delta is worked in-house, it is still Worlds hence a community engine. As you may have noticed I usually do my best to preserve contributions and prioritize optimizing code over redoing it entirely. If you have something you'd like to include into Delta, please don't hesitate to submit it! For example, I would be mighty happy if someone took the time to replace Tails' sprite with the Sonic 3 version. It doesn't affect the engine in any way, but given the sprites used for Sonic and Knuckles it would be a good example to others that you shouldn't mix and match different sprite styles.

Also here's the changelog we maintained during D1.3 construction (does not fully cover things such as the input manager, ghost system, spindash sound revamp, and many miscellaneous improvements; changes are in ascending order):

-Fix pushing glitch (pushing animation wouldn't stop if squeezed between two solids)

-Port Zero's angle-snapping technique

-Restore control when using InstaShield (yes this is done in Sonic 3)

-Port Zero's bug-fixed crushing code

-Port Zero's bug-fixed spike code

-Prevent a splash from being created when spawning underwater

-Port Zero's water running method

-Make a splash when crossing water level even when NOT in the air (classics did this)

-Rip Sonic 3's water run graphic (kudos to Techokami)

-Refine corks to not need iteration and to correct repositioning frame lag

-Split Water post-processing to have pre-process (corrects frame lag in some cases)

-Add master selection object (encourages object reselection through fixed value)

-Optimize bubble spawning

-Fix repositioning frame lag with sinkable objects

-Add ground sensor solid object remembrance to assist in collision test reduction

-Many gimmicks recalculate sensor collisions when they just want to move skins; fix this

-Do not apply bridge forces unless you are actually standing on it

-Modify gimmicks to utilize object selection/ground sensor remembrance

-Allow level designers to set the spin tunnel push direction

-Sync conveyor belt animation speed with its pushing speed

-Apply an inactive timer to swing poles to prevent regrabbing

-Dispose of lava objects that are out of the frame/prevent animation desync

-Add floating point precision to the level timer

-Update titlecard to demonstrate a scrolling pattern

-Fix drown not moving down (why was this broken?)

-Improve drown bubble generation

-Port Zero's bubble sway

-Prevent bubbles from spawning while title card is active

-Reset game timers when restarting level without a checkpoint

-Implement configurable window scaler

-Properly disable some gimmicks if not implemented (they weren't disabled correctly)

-Categorize gimmicks based on when they must be executed

-Modify ButtonSwitch to use sinkables group (corrects frame lag/reduces image data)

-Fix normal death not moving down (why was this broken?!)

-Fix frame lag with sinkable hang bars

-Don't allow the player to decide the initial boost direction for tunnels

-Fix a minor animation bug with conveyor belts moving to the left

-Add fireball shooter aimed to the left

-Implement Sonic 3's water run graphic and sound (thanks Techokami)

-Organize debug and make it easy to toggle off (just disable the group)

-Spruce up teleporters

-Optimize the breakable walls to use much less collision checks

-Port Positional Sound System [PSS]

-Build in-use qualifier list

-Optimize monitors/re-add bump layer-switching example

-Create Sound Emitters for PPS

-Apply PPS to a waterfall

-Add delay randomizing for emitters

-Enable shield groups on-demand

-Prevent falling through layer paths/platforms when spawning from checkpoint

-Fix score tally skip (can't use player input when it's ignored)

-Allow multi-input pressed processing

-Fix underwater bubble shield bounce

-Prevent bubble shield animation from freezing up

-Spawn broken monitor sprite with parent's draw order (to prevent layering oddities)

-Make stage clear move player right using overrided input, not artificial movement

-Implement ping-pong ring sound panning

-Don't splash when teleporting into/out of water

-Port Zero's improved controller mapping

-Set up additional controller rumble triggers

-Kill player when time hits 10:00

-Sync ring/monitor animations to game speed

-Move external files into containing directory "Data"

-Set up Kaosu's awesome new mixes

-Give Delta a title screen...

-Skip First-Time Check on Game Over as it's not needed

-Give Character Select a custom fade (including music fade-out)

-Prevent frame color from displaying on load while using a controller

-Allow skin rotation to be forced (used to fix sky-sanct. teleporter)

-Properly reset score tally counters before they appear (Tech fix)

-Reset Lives/Score on GameOver

-Modify lightning shield to be a frame-based draworder-switching example (3D effect)

-Pallet-change life icon when super

-Prevent speedshoe/invincibility from lingering after Super detransformation

-Fix spindash death bug (someone forgot to deactivate it in Manage Actions :P)

-Make boss work again (screw it, we're using Kaosu's :D)

-Restrict boss damage if boss is flashing

-Sync time-based boss events to LevelTimer

-Use camera limits, not camera boundary objects for boss collision

-Set boss action based on position to camera, not player

-Clean up/optimize boss

-Recode Crabmeat for stability/efficiency

-Prevent buzzbombers from firing while very far away

-Improve buzzbomber damage (less events/more stability/better instashield handling)

-Apply PPS to both badniks

-Center camera after using a teleporter

-Remove frame-lag with Knuckles' pull-up animation

-Push camera up during Knuckles' pull-up animation

-Bounce bullets off of the player's shield

-Apply PPS to fireball thrower

-Disable time bonus/ghost recording when getting a TimeOver death

-Use the special action input for Super transformation

-Use a count-selection technique to fix some scenarios (such as double ring monitors)

-Use "Collision" condition to avoid ring collection iteration

-Add a Climbable modifier for group.0 (currently used on spin tunnels)

-Add proper group deactivation for a few more "lesser" gimmicks

-Allow Knuckles to glide out of the screen if SignPost is activated

-Destroy collapsing bridge segments when out-of-view, not out-of-frame

-Check core code and do cleanup/optimization where fit

-Prevent losing roll action when leaving a corkscrew

-Prevent player from skipping over the nut&bolt gimmick

-Prevent scenario where player could use Knuckles to glitch past accelerators

-Lock the player to the center of the nut when using it

-Prevent player locking on the nut if landing within the lock range

-Remove frame lag with nut's movement

-Finally add nut's falling movement when reaching the bottom of the screw

-Reverse nut's spin direction (it was backwards this whole time!)

-Enhance multi-monitor destruction support

-Remove no-shield requirement for Super transformation

-Fix glitches with Knuckles climbing through platforms (experimental)

-Adjust shield position when Knuckles is climbing/pulling up

-Cancel Knuckles' special actions when hitting a bumper

-Restore common input when hitting bumper (more natural; S3&K does this)

-Apply a smooth camera shift transition for Knuckles' pull-up action

-Reset life icon values to avoid display issues (it's a global object)

-Limit angle range when colliding with platforms

-Make Knuckles' shield position offsets direction-based (whoops)

-Allow high angles to hit platforms if moving downward

-Don't limit camera shift when Knuckles is pulling up (removes most stuttering)

-Use linear vertical movement for pull-up camera (removes all stuttering)

-Restore control after Super transformation

-Allow rolling when landing after hitting a spring

-Allow Knuckles to spindash when getting up from slide/landing from glide

-Use a cheap work-around to prevent lost rings from constantly falling into the ground

-Describe attribute groups (based on suggestion by Tech)

-Implement varying intensities of ring-loss handling (select via group toggling)

-Fix ring-loss memory leak (don't spawn on start point as it can have copies!)

-Optimize level design to properly handle collisions outside of visible view

-Don't allow special moves after hitting a bumper (encourages pinball physics)

-Redo nut limitation to prevent rare snapping glitches

-Replace group.97 with group.Enemies (much more logical)

-Modify time bonus rules to create a unique Delta standard

-Preserve Knuckles' glide action on stage clear

-Implement Family System V3

-Modify FS to use floating point precision

-Make a multi-object buzzbomber (sprite by Sparks!)

-Don't bounce bullets on shields when Super

-Make attracted rings fall if they are too far away

-Fix an issue with multiple monitors behind a tree unhiding all at once when bumped

-Spawn fireballs from fire shooters behind the object, not to back

-Prevent Tails' tails from angle flickering when landing on the ground (thanks PkR)

-Optimize the checkpoint (less iteration/collision checks)

-Fix water run splash positioning (should use WaterLevelApparent for Y position)

-Fix frame lag with conveyor belt

-Lower Peel-Out rev sound

-Allow mid-air actions to be performed after jumping off a hanging bar (Tech change)

-Fix object selection with multiple nuts

-Fix snapping issue when a nut hit a sensor too fast and you began turning it again

-Add a stopper object/have it stop the nut while turning and falling

-Changing direction should affect nut snatching, but landing should take priority

-Don't use a shader for the monochrome effect on ghosts

Did Tails always have such a jumpy run? I'm going to check in Sonic 3, then redo the hotspots as needed. After that I'll package it up and release it as Delta 1.3A, after the others get a good look.

EDIT: Buttocks! I had to rerip Tails' run animation (you missed frames), but in doing so I got a palette mismatch. The easy solution is "recolor new sprites with old palette" but the ones I got have better colors aaaaag trying to hold myself back from redoing all of Tails' sprites

Did Tails always have such a jumpy run? I'm going to check in Sonic 3, then redo the hotspots as needed. After that I'll package it up and release it as Delta 1.3A, after the others get a good look.

EDIT: Buttocks! I had to rerip Tails' run animation (you missed frames), but in doing so I got a palette mismatch. The easy solution is "recolor new sprites with old palette" but the ones I got have better colors aaaaag trying to hold myself back from redoing all of Tails' sprites

Actually, you got to change the Super form pallet in the frame editor. It still used the old tails pallet.

superpallet.png

There is no need to change events, or any complicated coding. You just have to edit the super pallet for the sprite as seen in the red circles.

top row: Normal pallet darkest to lightest (meaning the same colors as the sprite)

Middle row: Second brightest pallet

Bottom row: Third brightest pallet

Tech already did that if you checked the build in dropbox. He's referring to Kessler's import not using an accurate color pallet which he noticed while importing the missing run frames. I told him to just recolor the run frames since the point was to only have a matching sprite style for example; most people will just change the sprites for their own purposes. (Thanks by the way Kessler!)

Edit: You're mistaken anyway. The first column is the normal sprite pallet. The next 5 columns to the right of that are Tails' super pallet changes.

Edit2: I'm a little confused. I haven't seen Tech on (even though he seems to have been Minecrafting) and as far as I can tell the Tails sprite has accurate Sonic 3 colors. I noticed the run animation had additional frames so I don't know if Tech added that in mistakenly or what. In any case I cleaned it up and will be pushing an update in a bit.

Double-post for content update.

A new update is now available!

-Replace Tails with Sonic 3 sprite (Thanks Kessler and Tech!)

-Rotate Tails' tails on all slope angles

-Prevent Tails' tails from direction-flickering when rolling and stopping

-Reduce swing Yspeed transfer to improve player handling

-Fix swing instability when standing on its edge

-Transfer movement speed when landing on a swing

-Allow movement speed transfer on swings to be easily disabled

-Disable swing initialization after it has finished processing

-Disable main swing group if no swings were created

-Optimize lava by syncing animations manually so it can still deactivate when far away

-Rotate Tails' tails based on pinball flipper angle

-Transfer conveyor belt speed when getting pushed off of it

-Fix landing speed transfer with conveyor belts

-Remove conveyor belt speed transfer code from Player Actions (no longer needed)

-Actually use the pinball flipper action/optimize a bit by using it

-Don't transfer conveyor belt speed if player got hurt/killed/drowned

-Don't allow the player to receive damage while teleporting

-Do not spawn mouth bubbles when teleporting

-Use Sonic 3's super pallet for Tails

-Fix issue with Ghost Tails being semi-broken (action order matters!)

-Reduce swing Xspeed transfer when landing (simulates friction/improves player handling)

Download Sonic Worlds Delta 1.3.1

Later on Tech should be uploading a more reliable link and Kaosu will get around to updating the first post.

I'm a little confused. I haven't seen Tech on (even though he seems to have been Minecrafting) and as far as I can tell the Tails sprite has accurate Sonic 3 colors. I noticed the run animation had additional frames so I don't know if Tech added that in mistakenly or what. In any case I cleaned it up and will be pushing an update in a bit.
In short: I hate my fucking job :(

In long: I resisted the urge to perfect the sprite and instead just used the palette from kessler12's rips (which is rather dark but WHATEVER) so that was done. But I wasn't entirely sure if the other half of the high speed run animation was used in the regular run animation, so I figured that I'd add it in just in case. Apparently it wasn't needed and Lark fixed it while I was afk at work slaving away on what should be my day off for an extra long work day. I hate my fucking job :(

Primary mirror of 1.3.1 will be up when my web hosting stops being a bitch.

Well, that escalated quickly

I'm not really in love with 1.3, but I must say that you guys' work is totally above epicness. Keep up with the good work on everything.

I had the opportunity to mess around with the engine, but not with everything, as I don't have HWA support for... well, REASONS.

@LH: Anything in particular that you don't like about the update? Specifically any criticism that doesn't relate to extra content such as the joke title screen. And no, I refuse to support old versions of MMF2 for REASONS. >:[

By the way, if anyone is curious about the modified ringloss I thought I'd point out that you can easily change the ringloss code in the moving rings group. There are three ringloss methods; Standard, Advanced[Fast] (what Delta 1.3 currently uses), and Advanced[Accurate] (very stable but very intensive). Activate Standard mode if you want it to be how it used to, but it's a very minor performance improvement over the Advanced[Fast] method for a lot less stability. For increased collision precision with lost rings you'll want to activate out-of-view BG collisions in the frame properties, but keep in mind this will greatly reduce performance.

@LH: Anything in particular that you don't like about the update? Specifically any criticism that doesn't relate to extra content such as the joke title screen. And no, I refuse to support old versions of MMF2 for REASONS. >:[

Hey, I didn't request old-versions support.

No, I don't have a specific complaint about anything, and I didn't even see the titlescreen because of my lack of HWA. I am just afraid that, after so many programming over it to make it look 1:1 with the Genesis engine, it may feel unflexible. But there's no way I can really proof that because I didn't really take a look on everything as I should have.

It shouldn't be unflexible. You may need to change some code for compatability with the floating point timer and object collision memory, but other than that you can use existing Worlds code in Delta 1.3.x just fine.

I'm going to be working on refining and improving a contribution by Azu that didn't make it into 1.3 due to reasons of time and requiring MORE extensions, it will be one of the bigger aspects of 1.3.2. I won't say what it is (and I hope Lark doesn't spoil the surprise) but I will say that it is something many will find useful...

@LH: I'm not seeing your reason for posting. You are making assumptions about the engine without even trying it, the reason being on your end and something I will not directly say as it is a topic that is inappropriate to even hint at on the public forum due to the issues SFGHQ had with Clickteam in the past. Not to be a jerk, but praise doesn't even mean anything to me if you're just saying it to say it. If you tried it and you liked what we've done, then sure let us know why you liked it. If you tried it and had issues with the design, then definitely let us know why. But if you can't even run it due to issues on your part, then please refrain from leaving any remarks. And for future reference, Delta's goal has never been to be a 1:1 remake of the classic games and as version 1.3 demonstrates quite vibrantly for those who have dug into the code, flexibility is always top priority.

I'm going to be working on refining and improving a contribution by Azu that didn't make it into 1.3 due to reasons of time and requiring MORE extensions, it will be one of the bigger aspects of 1.3.2. I won't say what it is (and I hope Lark doesn't spoil the surprise) but I will say that it is something many will find useful...

In the meantime I'll be fixing more bugs, optimizing (this is a never-ending process), and converting more redundant procedures into FlagAllow variables for easier gimmick writing. I won't be placing any due-dates on D1.3.2, but for the most part don't expect it to come in the next two weeks (I assume most people are happily building in D1.2 or older Worlds builds anyway, but keep in mind if there's something you like in D1.3 chances are it won't take much effort to port).

Looking forward to it!

Y'know, with all of these features that you guys keep packing into the Worlds engine (with each one being better than the last), I'm starting to wonder if it's getting a little overwhelming for newcomers. I think it would be nice if, alongside the next major release, you guys make a "Sonic Worlds Lite" that contains only the bare minimum number of features for fangame developers to get started (i.e. only Sonic and Tails as selectable characters, one or two gimmicks, one monitor type, minimum special effects, no title cards or transitions, etc). When I first started making Freedom Planet, I spent my first few days just trimming down all of the extra stuff in the engine. xD;

As long as the Lite version remains consistent with the full one, I'd imagine that developers would easily be able to copy and paste things from the full version that they want to use in the Lite version.

I think "Dami's Base Engine" would fit as something like that, if it's tuned a little bit more.

That base engine covers 360º movement and the basic actions - no items, no gimmicks, sonic only, final destination, etc *shot*

So something akin to it, using the latest Sonic Worlds, hmmm. Sounds good. Combined with Lake's Sonic Worlds Guide it could be a great help to new users.

A barebones Worlds engine would actually be more useful to experts, don't you think?

Also, Lake's guide encourages people to use the ancient and glitchy Community Build 0.5, which completely trashed a lot of the good programming practices Damizean tried to encourage. It's actually more confusing and complex because it uses thirty* different programming styles at once! emot-psyduck.gif </rant>

*exaggeration, but seriously Azu just did what he felt like and it made the engine a mess.