A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can make unity run 2D games on it though but from all the looking around I've done for it it seems to require third party extensions and even then it looks like it is a bit tricky to use.

I say I guess to stick with MMF2 for the time being like you mentioned above Lake. But I would highly recommend learning something else 'cause you could probably make a fair bit of coin if you pumped out an amazing title for multiple platforms. I guess there is always Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter though!

Steering this vessel back on course, I can honestly say (though I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the death threats after doing so) that if Lake made a game that wasn't Sonic then I don't think I would recognise as something he's made. I'm not saying he needs Sonic Worlds to be a good developer, but his first fan game (BTS) started a certain charm which I think can only be portrayed in Sonic games, due to their characters. Lake took Tails and gave him more depth. "Hey! And now he's sacred of ghosts!" I think as I sit and watch the ATS trailer. We already have profiles for characters but Lake extends them, gives us something unexpected. This is why I feel I wouldn't recognise an indie game as being Lake's without knowing before hand. If I played ATS without even knowing what it is called and somehow missing the title screen, I could play through Horizon Heights and say "Hey, Lake made this, didn't he?"

That said, I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong. I'm ready for the debate!

Well, again, i'm not a very competent developer.

The reason why a lot of people say i'm creative with my stuff is because of my lack of programming skills. I can't recreate stuff from the original sonic games, which for the most part, is actually quite hard to make, and i use my head to make new things that are easy to make and therefore, different from the original games.

It's something i think i should have written about in my worlds guide. If you can't do something, DON'T DO IT, instead, think of something else you CAN DO.

Still, i'm almost sure there will be at least an 2 or 3 year gap between my last fan game and my original game.

So, in conclusion... people, stop idealizing me.

Some of you are probably 10 times better tham me when it comes to developing a game and even art.

Lake, you may not be as great a developer as lots of other people here, but I think I speak for most people whenI say you're one of the most creative fangame developers I've ever seen. It may not be the most technologically impressive game ever, but ATS has so much heart put into it, and just feels like a fun, creative game.

I'm not going to turn this into a flamewar, but you're being a bit daft for blaming the death of your fangame on Lake.

The reason it died was because you were asking everyone else to do the majority of the work for you. Sorry but cutscenes and plot are NOTHING compared to the amount of work that goes into everything else you were asking people to do.

Unfortunately, no one is going to jump on board a project that has nothing to it but a couple of ideas. Speaking from a composer's point of view, I've had people ask me on more than one occasion to compose about 25 tracks for a game that they've not even finished planning yet. I told them "no" straight up because I knew my work would never see the light of day.

It's the equivalent of me saying, "Hey, I've got a really good idea for a car, I know what kind of wheels it's gonna have and how fast it should go. Now I need someone to build it for me."

And if you think I'm being a douche, I've had a couple of (what I think) are great ideas for fangames, but I know all I could do is some art and music for it; and that just isn't enough to warrant talented people to jump on board with it.

Lake gave pretty good advice to you, he didn't have to, and you've kind of thrown it back in his face on a public forum.

Back to ATS:

for those who want a release date: I'm probably going to release this game as a surprise just like everything i release but we're still far away from this day.

@Infinity_Alex

hey, there's no reason for me to hate on you anymore.

I recive messages like that all the time (people that want me to make a fan game for them) that's why i get kinda mad at them.

But now you're just a ragular member of sfghq and you're actually posting here, which makes this community more alive, which is something that makes me happy. =)

Thanks for your insight. Ristar, in no way do I think you are a douche, all you are doing is giving me your interpretation of what I'm trying to do. Lake, I had no idea you were mad at me at all. In retrospect, I can now say that if I asked you again (not that I am) and you said yes, I would try to have you doing as little as possible. Though coding is still the biggest part, I would be happy to do everything else (which thinking about it, still isn't a lot). By no means do I want you to do it for me. I didn't really think of it as blaming you but now I see it for what it is and I feel bad about it. I've been a massive dick about this.

That said, I will have my fan game! It'll just take time...

P.S.:This is what I meant when I said I can't program

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3636/soshowcasefinal.png

Unfortunately, no one is going to jump on board a project that has nothing to it but a couple of ideas. Speaking from a composer's point of view, I've had people ask me on more than one occasion to compose about 25 tracks for a game that they've not even finished planning yet. I told them "no" straight up because I knew my work would never see the light of day.

I have had to turn down a few things for the exact same reason. Only not musically because A) my music isn't nearly as good as yours and B) Not many people still realize I make kickass tunes. On the artistic front though I've been approached by people and I've generally turned them down. I've got buttloads of game concepts and ideas that will see fruition one day (not fangame tho). However I do want to note that one day Ristar I would love to be able to work with you on -something- because I really dig your music.

Also the rest of your post was amazing dude.

@Infinity_Alex

hey, there's no reason for me to hate on you anymore.

I recive messages like that all the time (people that want me to make a fan game for them) that's why i get kinda mad at them.

But now you're just a ragular member of sfghq and you're actually posting here, which makes this community more alive, which is something that makes me happy. =)

Lake you're such a classy guy!! This is why people like and respect you dude, you're making good fangames and you're quite respectful of others. I know if that post was aimed at me I'd probably have been a dick right back haha. Never change dude.

@Infinity_Alex

Dude, the easiest thing to do if you're having a unsolvable problem like that in worlds and in the beggining of a project is to scrap it and restart from scratch. (i mean starting again with a frash copy of worlds) i think i did that about 2 times before i actually got the hang of it and started BTS.

And if you have new sprites and such, you can always copy and paste things.

Also, sfghq has a forum for those kinds of problems. Actually, as far as i remember, my first post was in that forum.

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6675

And the next one...

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6680

And the next... one...

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6830

yeah... i was a noob.

Once again thanks for your support Lake, I'm not going to do that again, you have my word. In May I'll come back to this forum with a playable demo of at least Act 1 of my first zone.

I think the glitch has something to do with moving the tiles around, though the last time it happened it was only after I moved the green orb.

lakeatssupersonic.png

Just made Super Sonic's eyes a bit longer to make him look less, y'know...demented.

Oh yeah, just a few questions as well.

1)TV Tropes web page said all levels will have remakes with different factors (weather, time, etc.). Is this true? If so, great!

2)Once we collect all the Chaos Emeralds can we play the levels as Super Sonic? I would enjoy that.

3)Are the checkered spheres in the background of Dream Dance asthetic only?

Edit: Infinity Alex has removed most of the things in his post that I respond to below.

Infinity I think you're asking too many questions, they're definitely not going to answer anything about spoilers and because of the soundcloud comments I now think I've figured certain things out which is really annoying, anyway I don't want to know anything story/boss wise and neither does anyone else at this point probably. Also whether you know it or not you kind of just blamed it all on Falk there, yes he shouldn't have responded like that because that semi-confirmed (to me) how it's going to play out, but Lake told people to stop asking anymore questions on the previous page, I'm sure you read it.

I honestly think you should remove that question from your post so none else puts anything together in their heads.

Someone PM me then. I'm not actually asking what purpose, if any the spheres serve. I think only the latter 2 questions contain spoilers. Being able to play as Super Sonic in the levels isn't really spoilers. We already know we can play as Super in the boss.

And we have this feature called spoiler hiders. :)

Disclaimer: I don't go into any detail whatsoever about any ideas of what could happen in ATS story in this post, so don't worry about reading it.

You're acting a bit ignorant, I could have the completely wrong idea about how the story goes, and nothing is confirmed, everyone else can have their own thoughts and ignore these posts, but in my mind from you asking those questions about that, with Falk's accidental response on soundcloud, I put two and two together and now I have an idea of what happens in the game story wise that I think is pretty solid and I'm very annoyed about it because that's killed some of the excitement/originality of this game for me. Though again, nothing is confirmed and it's just a theory I have.

Yeah you've edited your post now, you've cut out enough, I guess. Btw, yes we do have a feature called spoiler tags, that only you can use on your own post, so use it, it's your responsibility, no one elses. Also trust me, you don't know what everyone thinks and that "they knew this would be like that" so stop asking questions about it. Nobody read the comments on soundcloud on the new boss track for Cyan City.

Really annoys me, I wait for this game for a year, and then someone reveals a massive spoiler (from what I believe) by not thinking about how the questions he's asking might relate to other things, a couple of weeks before release, and according to his sig just before he's going to leave tomorrow and not be here/play the game for at least a month. (so why even bother asking big questions!? Think you could've held off for a day!!??).

Anyway let's drop this entirely before anyone accidentally says something else that you could get spoilers from, drop it and move on.

(This is by no means a spoiler, but if you don't want to read it it's fine)

Keep in mind falk said "Dream Dance Zone 2". Not "Dream Dance Act 2".

Anyway, Dream dance zone has been spoiled bit by bit but just enought that you'll sill get surprised. not just from what it is but how it plays and looks. (if you play it on classic mode...)

So... Almost no one at this point knows what DDZ actually is and won't until the game is released.

All i can say is, yes DDZ IS another zone, and it's NOT like Doomsday zone.

instead, quite different from anything you've seen so far for a final zone in a sonic game. (see, there's a lot wating for ya)

Yep that's great to hear there's still some suprises Lake, thanks for that, still, now I know Dream Dance is the final zone (one of the big things I thought Alex and falk between them spoiled, now confirmed) which is something I never wanted to know but according to you it plays out differently than anything I've thought and I'll still be surprised by some things which is good, not in a great mood right now. (not your fault Lake) lol

First off, I'm sorry about what I've spoiled, about not knowing how to input the spoiler tag (I suck) and my sig (though I don't see what bearing this has on the subject). That last one I didn't know when I would be able to use the internet again. I'll delete the spoiler related questions from that post for future readers and as you've said, we'll just drop it.

That said, and I have no intention of offending you, but no one is forcing you to read the posts. It's like...this guy on YouTube (great time to forget his name) and someone said they can't do anything because they have to watch the video. The publisher responded in exactly the same way. No one's telling you to read the post.

Now, a bit more subject orientated. And seeing as I don't know how to put in spoiler tags yet.

I know you aren't working on the game any more as it's already finised, disregarding music, but when I transform into *mumble, mumble* I feel that his rings drain waaay too quickly. Have you looked into this or sorted it?

Just want to know.

And my honest-to-*insert idol here* last question. Will you release the ATS sprite sheet? I have noticed it's a little different to BTS' own sheet.

I know you didn't mean to spoil anything, but about the "don't read the post if you don't want to be spoiled thing", if someone doesn't put a spoiler warning, it means the post, specifically a sentance within a post that has spoilers comes as a surprise and we can't turn away at the speed of light, our eyes take in more than we want to see before we can react and look away.

It's the same thing with anything that contains spoilers, which is why trying to watch any video about for example the anime Bleach is a complete nightmare, you can watch any video of bleach even if it's just an ost track from the first episode, and you'll have somebody spoiling the latest manga chapter with no warning, just written out plainly with no care/thought about that other people might not want to know that, and it's unavoidable completely, there's no way you won't see the sentence you don't want to see it's just suddenly there in your face.

So I'm sorry but you can't just say "hey don't read the post". XD But yeah I know you didn't mean it. Btw we know SS is in the game that wasn't the problem you can talk about problems you had with Super in the demo...was he playable in the demo? I can't even remember XD i thought it was just the kirby powerups.

1)Sorry, I wasn't listening. I started thinking about Bleach when you named it. I love Bleach XD

2)I will try harder to avoid posting unlabelled spoilers in future.

3)Also, thank you for being understanding about me not meaning to spoil anything.

@Lake

I said Dream Dance Act 2. You said Dream Dance Zone 2. If I recall correctly, Falk simply said Dream Dance 2. I think we're both wrong. I'm not gonna rub it in. Thing is, I took it as Act 2 as he used the phrase in the same sentnce as Storm Station 3 which I'm quite confident indicates Acts. However, you are the creator of the game so I'll just take your word that we have Zones in Dream Dance.