A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 3 HD - WE NEED YOU.

Hello all,

Now its been a VERY long while since I was last here, due to my internet connection completely failing on me, university work etc...

I hope everyones keeping well,

It seems like the community is striving and as close-knit as ever, how i've missed this site.

Anyhow, introductions to one side,

I'm here with a purpose.

I've come to recruit some very talented people for a great project that me and the team are working on.

SONIC 3 HD.

Thats right, a complete remake of Sonic 3 + knuckles, in HD.

Some of you may have heard of it, some of you haven't.

The team have been working so hard to come up with what we already have on the website, and in the database, and although the team is very small at the moment, we seem to be growing as interest rises.

Here is a video link to our very very rough - V0.01 demo,

Now I know its not THE BEST right now in time.

This is why i'm here, to recruit anyone who would be interested in helping us guys out.

WE DESPERATELY need programmers and artists, and will be grateful for anymore help we can get.

This is a great project, and we already have a great community, they guys on the forum are great.

I hope to hear from some of you,

Check out the website:

www.sonic3hd.com

Thanks for listening everyone, If you have any questions, please, don't hesitate to ask them.

Cool project, though to be honest I don't see it as being all that necessary. I'd rather see a new HD game than Sonic 3 remade with a look that it wasn't really going for in the first place. Still, it's an appreciated effort. Well, at least I can appreciate it. I know there are certain crowds out there that scoff at this sort of thing, but I see it as more of a learning experience than anything else.

When recruiting programmers, you should really describe what purpose they would have as well as what language(s) they would be expected to need to work on the project. It looks like the base engine is already there. Also, you should let us know if you have some kind of svn/git type thing set up since having multiple programmers doesn't always work particularly wonderfully when there isn't a way for them to share their work... particularly as you start getting more and more programmers on a project.

I suggest you refer the programmers you do have to the Sonic physics guide over in the Retro wiki. It's an invaluable resource if you ever want to please the hardcore accuracy sticklers.

Similarly, you should let artists know what would be expected of them.

Although, what you have done up to know is some good stuff (physics could be improved on). I would rather see a new Sonic HD game. Because we are just playing the same game in HD. I think that people would be more interested in something completely new.

Yeah, I saw quite some 360° bugs over there. and I agree with the others saying that it'd be cooler to see a HD fangame than an HD remake of Sonic 3. They're already doing it with Sonic 2, and GOD, they're taking forever so I already stopped waiting.

Give your creativity a try, dude. And I'll happily help with programming (though I only domain MMF2 and Visual Basic until I get to the college, I may still help with Maths, Physics and stuff).

PS. The Retro Physics Guide. GO. SEE IT.

As if genesis wasn't super easy to emulate genesis games already besides knowing the fan base that keeps up with fan games, we all probably own it on 1 or more systems

This doesn't make it any better and you know it. I'm mostly just looking out for SFGHQ anyway.

Whelp. While it is true that this game and S2HD are kind of ripping SEGA off as they should've done the major Genesis games in HD themselves... They haven't and I'm sure they know about both of these projects, and have done nothing about it to my knowledge, so as far as legality goes, there shouldn't be much to worry about.

On that note, I'd love to help out with art. Like the 2HD project, you'll need to double the frame-count of all objects, and adding 360 rotation around loops wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, instead of carbon copy HD versions of the old tiles and objects, it's wise to re-shade, and often redraw them entirely. I can help, but bear in mind I do not have Photoshop, and I have yet to grab the app from my desktop that lets me use my phone as a drawing pad; and put it on my laptop... I don't have a real drawing pad.

With sonic3(and knuckles) being my favorite of the classics, you had me at the thread title. I'd love to help make some music for this but I'd need a good assortment of VSTs to use in FL Studio before I can really accomplish some really good covers. I'm very much into New school breakbeats, most notably a group called "The Prodigy". Beats similar to their tracks would sound really tight to a game remix, but that's all I can help with from there. I'm only a real programmer when it comes to the OpenBOR engine, don't know jack aside of that.

X)

• 2 weeks later...