A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before The Sequel'12 - Released!

LakeFeperd

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AeroGP

i shoud have put an explanation for that in the manual but for some reason i forgot...

it's the way i made to get the good ending

the Time Points decrease 1 after each 2 secs and if you have more than 0 time points after beating the game you get the good ending

the amount of time points you start is 3400, and an average player will be able to get the good ending in the first try

Don't know if this is just me but I'm running Windows 7 and I am getting an error:

"Cannnot use control \"Control name"\registered at {D27CDE-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 in this computer registry: unable to find any programming interface."

I got a game over in the second act of Tails' water level, thanks to that Worlds problem, by which i mean that Tails drowns TOO FAST (It takes just 9 seconds for the countdown to start).

Does the game keep track of game overs to decide what ending to use at the end, LakeFeperd?

Edit: ok, now i got past that accursed place. What's worse is that it IS a cool level and got the best song yet. What's the source?

I just finished the game, and got the bad ending as well. It's not so much that I am a bad player. I just liked exploring you're massivly well built stages. Lives were needed and it's funny how every time i stopped to explore a certain route, there would be a live monitor there.

Anyway so what did I think of the full game?

---

Warning! MAJOR wall of text ahead:icon_redface:

Kaboom!!

It was excellent ;). Best fan game I have ever played hands down. Your game is so full of ideas.

Every act felt unique from the other. Even the friggin special stages lol.

I expected the special stages to be like basic run and jump collecting rings, but I got caught off guard every time a new gimmick was introduced.

For example in tails' special stage with the clouds. I was first like, wait tails can fly why would I need those?

And then all of a sudden it was cloud mania lol. Clouds everywhere actually HINDERING my way lol.

Your game is full of those kind of surprises. The stages are built with care and full of ideas man.

Those balls from a yoshi game turning the game into a crystal meth trip made me lol really hard. At the same time made me really dizzy haha, but really awesome.

The game is massive so I can't remember everything but it makes me wish sonic games were usually this massive without any fillers.

This was a 3 hours long trip for me and it was great. I reckon that I have to finish the game again now for the real ending?(please answer this because I dont know wether there is a level selection or not)

Even so, i would love to. I would be happy if the game forced and gave me a reason to go through it again because i'd love to.

Another that surprised me was that you had changed the mystic cave(2 player) winter music.

I didn't expect it at first because it looked like not alot had changed in the game, but I am really happy you took the feedback and changed it. It sounded a million times better.

Again the special stages ended up being a great addition. Lives were essential for me because the bosses are challenging.

A few of my complaints are that the first few levels aren't so well designed as the later levels.

A bit too basic and feel more like plain fields mostly(without the ideas you implemented in later stages).

I understand that the first 2 levels should be that way.

It doesn't matter so much actually since the game has 10 zones compared to what we're used to, but I think a game should start good to grab and keep the player interested.

I started the game yesterday and stopped after beating the seconds zone. It didn't grab me untill the 3rd/4rth.

Since your game is so great and polished, I think the game would really deserve a visual upgrade if you ever felt like perfectioning your game.

I don't mean anything with this as I understand this is mostly a project of your own.

Comparing it to other fangames that put emphasis on visuals and never get done.

I think it doesn't matter so much, but it just crossed my mind a couple of times, especially since I had been playing the new sonic CD remake.

The contrast of colors you use are sometimes a bit too similar. I noticed the color blue being used alot in your game.

I just think the game deserves it because this is not just an ordinary game to me. And it neither should be to you. I'd be really proud about what you have delivered.

It's not every day you see a fangame that is so well designed full of great ideas. (I reckon You must play alot of good games to draw inspiration from ;) )

The water level with tails felt like a mess a bit. I think that had mostly to do with that the stage didn't really have a direction.

It was the water stage with those pullies that would launch you up when holding on them for a few seconds.

I didn't like this stage very much. Most stages in your game have like a flow and change the pace with some variation that challenges you, making the environment distinct from the whole stage.

That way the stage made themselves familiar.

It's like how you used those circling tubes in the sonic water level where you had to get your way up.

That was also really cleverly designed and it required a bit of puzzling.

Everytime I encounter this place, I will always think: "Okay so now i'm here" hence recognize what I can find around me. In that tails' water level that was never the case.

I felt this was the only real dissapointing level in the game, but as any level, it was made up with a fun boss battle.

The bosses: I don't hate chase bosses, but as I had stated a long time ago, too much of them can make it feel a bit repetitive.

The bosses were still great nonetheless. Again full of great ideas. I personally liked the boat boss, but that was especially

Final gripe. The tails boss at the cloud level was really too easy for me. This was a little dissapointing close to the ending.

I would suggest making the bird carrying tails move a little bit slower, similar to sonic 3's marble garden's boss but maybe a little bit faster if you think that keeps up the pace.

But I think the bird being so fast makes the rockets that are being thrown at you not very harmful.

Anyway I wanna close by saying that the final levels are amazingly well made. Best levels in the game and that is exactly how it should be.

The final stages should always be at the highest possible peak of the experience imo, and the way it was built was really thrilling and fun.

The gimmick of the red and green aura (I think the green made you floaty and the red made you heavy as a brick) was another well implemented idea.

Rings were sometimes so hard to find and i'd sometimes just see "1" ring after traveling great distances. Lol 1 ring... wow.

That's torture, but awesome nonetheless. It kept me on my toes and I loved it.

In my whole playthrough I have encountered no glitches or bugs. None at all so i'm impressed you did that mostly all on your own.

The music throughout your whole game was amazing. I hope you don't mind if I ask, but could you make a list of soundtracks you used?

Some sounded so very familiar and nostalgic to me, but I couldn't put my finger on where I knew them from. I'd apreciate it alot.

Thanks for this awesome game. I would like to thank you as well for putting me on the special thanks. You don't know much that means to me, even if I didn't do much

Oh yeah, a soundtrack List

it will be requested later so i better make it right now

SPOILER ALERT!...

Sonic Before The Sequel Soundtrack List

Hilltop Heights Zone

1- Wacky Workbench good future JP

2- A remix of Sonic World i made

3- Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden - King Kai's stage - DS

BOSS - Kirby's dreamland 3 Mid boss

Star Shores Zone

1- Palmtree Panic Past JP

2- Kirby Sequeak Squad raddish ruins rendition

3- Collision Chaos past

BOSS - Kirby's dreamland 3 Boss

Rocky ride Zone

1- Kirby Super Star Ultra - Float islands

2- Top Gear 3000 ...

3- Top Gear 3000 ...

BOSS - Kirby's dreamland 3 Hyper zone

Lost Levels Zone

1- Kirby Super Star Ultra - Quartz Garden

2- Kirby Super Star Ultra - Underground Forest Area

3a - Mystic cave 2-player

3b - Mystic cave ice remix by Ristar

BOSS - Sonic collors Rotatatron boss

Sunset Star Zone

1- Stardus Speedway present JP

2a - Stunt Race FX Unused track

2b - Top Gear 2 - Canterbury Plains

3- M&S winter games DS - rocket ski jump

BOSS - Kirby Super Star Ultra - Heavy Lobster

Metro Madness Zone

1- Stunt Race FX night owl

2- Top Gear Hiroshima

3- Ristar Crying World

BOSS: Ristar boss

Fortress Flow Zone

1- Kirby's dreamland 3 Grass Land 4...

2- Kirby Super Star Ultra Cocoa Cave

3- Ristar Break Silence

BOSS: Sonic Rush Bomber Barbara

Perilous Paradise Zone

1- Kirby Super Star Ultra - Grape garden

2- Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden - Island stage - DS

3- Metallic Madness present JP

BOSS - Rhythm Heaven Remix 9

Titanic Tower Zone

1- Sonic colors Terminal velocity + 8bit version

2- Sonic Rush - Altitude Limit

3- Sonic Rush - What U need blaze + sonic mix

BOSS - Kirby Super Star Ultra - Galacta Knight

Cloudy Crowd Zone

1- Kirby's dreamland 3 Couldy Park

2- Kirby Sequeak Squad track 16

3- Kanjika - Breathtaking Vision (Sky Sanctuary)

BOSS - Kanjika - Breathtaking Vision (Sky Sanctuary)

Arcane Altitude Zone

1- Kirby Super Star Ultra Halberd interior

2- Kirby Super Star Ultra Halberd

BOSS - Kirby's dreamland 3 Dark Tower

Death Egg Zone

1- Sonic 2 Death egg

BOSS - Kirby Super Star Ultra Marx battle

Cutscnes

HH to SS: Sonic OVA South island

RRboss: Kirby Super Star Ultra Marx's mad plan

RR to LL: Kirby Super Star Ultra The Great cave offensive

Eggman's plan: Top Gear 3000 Results

SSboss: Ristar Lock Up

SS to MM: Ristar Ebony Force

MM to FF: Okami Issun's Theme

PP to TT: Okami Issun's Theme

CC to AA 2: Sonic Adventure 2 - Event: Strategy

Good Ending: Sonic 2 ending

Bad Ending: Sonic 3D blast credits roll

Fake Ending: Kirby Super Star Ultra Kirby's triumphant return

yeah, i know... TOO MUCH KIRBY

and all of that in just an 100Mb file =P

btw, those Dragon Ball Kai themes are kinda hard to find in the internet, i think.

I just beat the game. Levels were mostly nice and hard. Their ridiculously huge sizes bothered me a little, but that's ok. The bosses were really cool, too.

Final Boss Spoilers:

The Mini Eggman Mech reminds me of a old hoax joke about having a simple crabmeat or motobug as the final boss of Sonic 2, há.

Ending spoilers:

Despite all my messups, i think i got the best ending, since it fits nicely with Sonic 2. I got 847 time points after the credits. I skipped most special stages. Would i have lost by entering more of them?

@Jwiwo

yup

try to beat the boss rush mode

it's unlocked after beating the game with the good ending

@Hyper Emerson

the time points counter only works at levels and bosses

it saves the game between ever boss and zone, so, if you got 2000 time points at the start of a zone and get a game over at any act, you will start again with 2000 time points