A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before The Sequel'12 - Released!

LakeFeperd

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving the game so far. Exploration feels easy to do yet rewarding at the same time, most of the levels feel very unique, and the player switching every act keeps things fresh. The gameplay doesn't deviate or expand much from, say, sonic 2, cuz I guess there's no need to fix what ain't broke.

This is probably the most polished fan games I've played.

I mean I've played a lot of sonic fangames, and typically I don't even feel compelled to dodge hazards in most fangames after about 5 or 10 minutes. But in this game I can't wait to hone my skills for the next new hazard.

Currently I'm stuck on a boss with tails. I think it's called perilous park zone or something. (DUCKING LAZOR BEANS)

I just can't seem to figure out how and when its ever appropriate to hit him.

Well, that was... playable. Enjoyable, even, in the latter half, but the first three or four zones should be two zones at most. There's very little to distinguish them from one another, the acts are long and extremely empty, and it's just not a good setup to encourage people to want to continue playing. The first couple acts of the blue-green zone in particular often don't even require the "hold right" part of "hold right to win." Enemy recolors and such are fine, but you shouldn't have three or four separate zones all including motobugs, and you use the curved floor-to-wall corner (not the half-pipe, the other one) way too much. It appears very rarely in Sonic games, but it shows up in this game every few minutes. The Tails acts often feel as if you didn't remember that Tails can fly, featuring large open areas that can be flown over or long vertical chimneys with springs and other such objects at the bottoms. Most of the level palettes are attractive, but the Tails water zone looks extremely chaotic. Again, everything gets much better in the latter half when the levels start to develop their own personalities and there's more level design than curve, flat, curve, flat, curve, flat -- although having two separate zones with the same blue and gray color scheme doesn't help -- but the first half of the game is in need of some serious polish. About half the cutscenes could easily be dropped, as well, and constantly reusing the same Sonic poses (half of which have severe anti-aliasing problems) doesn't look very good. Probably the best cutscenes were Tails and the black ball boss monster glaring at each other and Sonic reaching out a hand to save Tails; most of the others would work better as ingame cutscenes or just not included at all. All that said, I noticed very few actual bugs; the special stages are quite engaging; and most of the bosses were pretty fun, in particular the black ball guy with the twin lasers.

@Violet CLM

the best solution for the first zones is only to remake then from scratch

wich i didnt want to do or else this fan game would end up like most of the fan games out there

those were the first zones i made and back then i was still a big noob

about the color scheme, i thought that was ok but sonic BTS uses a LOT of blue tones in almost every zone

ok, thanks for the feedback i'll take this in consideration for future projects

Falk pays attention to this site!?!?!? Well my conception of being one of the best musicians (I say this of because every musician on this site is pretty talented and has there own way of being awesome XD) lol but man having falk work on ANY fan project is a good way to show up every musician on the site simultaneously. JK the guys work is brilliant though

Huh, I forgot to post this here. Belated Merry Christmas. :(

i'm glad to see you guys are liking it :)

i really hope this goes well

also, there is kinda of a lot of people making playthroughs of my fan game and i can see where i've failed really bad at the level design

well, at least i'll be never doing it again

Falk pays attention to this site!?!?!? Well my conception of being one of the best musicians (I say this of because every musician on this site is pretty talented and has there own way of being awesome XD) lol but man having falk work on ANY fan project is a good way to show up every musician on the site simultaneously. JK the guys work is brilliant though

D:! not my intention at all! Thanks for the compliment though!

I love this music. Gave SBTS a more Sonic CD-ish feeling.

Have some Sonic CD JP. ;p

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lake, someone wrote about the game in the Tv Tropes page for the Sonic series (See the Fan-made Media folder). The actual page for your game is still blank, though. I've thought about writing stuff on it, but i don't want to steal anyone's thunder... XP

Edit:

Ok, i've decided to launch the page. It should be the third Sonic fangame with a TvTropes page, i think. Yes, i also started the other two.