A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What are you playing?

shadowgoten

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Target has a deal where you can get a Wii with a Motion Plus controller, New Super Mario Bros., Skyward Sword, and the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack (with free shipping!) for $150.

That was a pretty good deal I think, since I don't actually have a Wii (I play on my grandma's, and hers is back stateside).

Star Ocean 3: Till the end of time.

Saved just before entering Firewall (final story mode dungeons)

Game is pretty amazing, though. I was annoyed that the storyline near the end here was like "LOL AMAZING TWIST!" and then has done absolutely nothing with it and instead spammed me with bosses.

...Not like that's a bad thing, the combat is easily the highlight of this game. Its rare that I play an RPG because the battle system is that much fun.

And currently I plan to finish the game, before heading out to make use of Black friday deals and score generations, and buy more games.

...then again I still have FFX, and xenosaga, that I also recently picked up and have yet to play.

Fucking star ocean...when i was much younger, i bought Star Ocean 2 for PSX and was in love with that game and all the characters/moves you could obtain. Then i got to the final area....that fucking place was unbeatable. I was in some dungeon where i had to fight all the main villians of the game at the same fucking time.

There was this one fight were it was only 2 of them, but one guy would jump into the sky and do this fire technique, and would just completely decimate my entire party. I just could not win.

looking back on it though, i dont remember shit about that game, and would love to play it again, but i dont have the first disc to my game. Hopefully PSN will release it at some point.

Then i'll think about picking up Star Ocean 4, but only if it's as good as i remember 2 was.

Rolled a new character in Skyrim for the third time. Hopefully I don't get bored by this one like with the first two.

Finished Serious Sam 3 a few days ago. It is an amazing game and anyone mildly interested in FPS should give it a go.

Shameless plug

here's the review

Need to play Limbo tomorrow.

EDIT: Seems I was away for the past 3 months. Hello all.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly Saturn games. Bulk Slash arrived today and it's one of the best mech games i've played for a long time. It reminds me of mix between Gundam: Fedetation VS Zeon and the designs of Sapphire (PCE) And it has wonderful graphics^^ Also playing lot's of Columns at the moment, mostly Hanagumi Taisen Columns and the Arcade Collection. Somehow I always liked it more than Tetris^^ And last but least, Mario Kart 7. The AI is still crap, but damn, I love Mario Kart xD SNES Rainbow Road kicks ass on 3DS

I'm currently running through the original .hack series. I'm finishing up some trades in INFECTION and will be moving on to MUTATION later tonight. If I have time before FFXIII-2 is out I might start up GU as well. Also playing Skylanders on my 3DS, despite being a huge marketing tool. (Haven't bought any extra figures, I'm safe for now)

Fucking star ocean...when i was much younger, i bought Star Ocean 2 for PSX and was in love with that game and all the characters/moves you could obtain. Then i got to the final area....that fucking place was unbeatable. I was in some dungeon where i had to fight all the main villians of the game at the same fucking time.

There was this one fight were it was only 2 of them, but one guy would jump into the sky and do this fire technique, and would just completely decimate my entire party. I just could not win.

Heh,

. If you'd played Rena, you could have just switched to Dias and spammed his jacked up Air Slash over and over. Also, if you had sunk skill points into flip, that was the time you were supposed to turn that shit off because it would just get you killed. Oh, and if you preferred Claude, he has this one retardedly overpowered sword that you can only make if you played the tournament on disk 1 using this one particular sword shop (or if you played Rena, I think they just gave it to you) which for some reason would throw out like 12 little star things after you hit which would stun the shit out of everything and do like an extra 2000 damage when they all hit (on top of the fact that it was just a more powerful weapon for base stats than the trashy super weapon they give you right before the last area).

The real secret to making the end game of SO2 a joke was just to have Bunny Shoes. But then you do the ridiculously hard bonus dungeon or limiter off Gabriel/Indalacio or whatever the hell he's called and all bets are off.

I still maintain that SO2 was the series peak. SO3 was literally painful to play what with bullshit like "Yo, explore 100% of every map" and battle trophies. It's the kind of crap that will drive a completionist insane. SO4 was a little better (partly because the combat was much smoother and less contrived), but ultimately was just unsatisfying in its scope. It didn't seem big enough to really be a Star Ocean game.

Playing PSO Episode 3 before going to bed usually lately. Its such a departure but I still enjoy it. I used to vastly prefer playing as the Hunters though but now I much prefer playing as the Arkz, so I have no clue what the hell happened to make me change my mind. Hunters I find to be a lot easier to play as though and I wanna build up a wicked Arkz deck first so I can just plow through the hunters and all their stupid items when I fight 'em.

Playing PSO Episode 3 before going to bed usually lately. Its such a departure but I still enjoy it. I used to vastly prefer playing as the Hunters though but now I much prefer playing as the Arkz, so I have no clue what the hell happened to make me change my mind. Hunters I find to be a lot easier to play as though and I wanna build up a wicked Arkz deck first so I can just plow through the hunters and all their stupid items when I fight 'em.

That game was amazing. To this day, i still say that game had the most artistic presentation out of any game i've ever played. Its entire soundtrack was astounding, the menus and loading screens were all interactive and very appealing (it even had a jingle play during the very first few ADX loading screens), and the card art...oh god, i'd spend forever admiring the art on the cards.

That, and the depth of the combat was surprisingly good. Me and my buddy go at it all the time, it's just really fun to play. It's a pity i never got to experience the game online before.

i let my friend borrow my gamecube, so i can't finish it, but I beat the Hunter's final boss and never got to start the Arks. I prefer using the hunters because they're so much easier to keep alive. I tore through the storymode with Silfer, Relmitos, and Ino'lis and pretty much exclusively. But Pollux's broken ability pissed me the hell off a few times lol.

Heh,
. If you'd played Rena, you could have just switched to Dias and spammed his jacked up Air Slash over and over. Also, if you had sunk skill points into flip, that was the time you were supposed to turn that shit off because it would just get you killed. Oh, and if you preferred Claude, he has this one retardedly overpowered sword that you can only make if you played the tournament on disk 1 using this one particular sword shop (or if you played Rena, I think they just gave it to you) which for some reason would throw out like 12 little star things after you hit which would stun the shit out of everything and do like an extra 2000 damage when they all hit (on top of the fact that it was just a more powerful weapon for base stats than the trashy super weapon they give you right before the last area).

The real secret to making the end game of SO2 a joke was just to have Bunny Shoes. But then you do the ridiculously hard bonus dungeon or limiter off Gabriel/Indalacio or whatever the hell he's called and all bets are off.

I still maintain that SO2 was the series peak. SO3 was literally painful to play what with bullshit like "Yo, explore 100% of every map" and battle trophies. It's the kind of crap that will drive a completionist insane. SO4 was a little better (partly because the combat was much smoother and less contrived), but ultimately was just unsatisfying in its scope. It didn't seem big enough to really be a Star Ocean game.

Yeah, i'll never forget that catchy music with the highly aggravating "OOHHHHH ITS HOT, OHHHHOHOHOOHOH *rape*" attack that firehead bastard used at the start of the match.

Star Ocean 2 is one of those games i remember obsessing over as a kid, but jesus for the life of me i can't remember ANYTHING about it. At all. I just remember it was hard as hell for me at some points, and that i had tons of Bounced Checks that i didn't know how to get rid of. It's one of the few games back then i played so much yet could actually never beat, Decus and Vesper just decimated me every time, and I remember the enemies tore through me too.

I want to pick up Star Ocean 4, but for some reason it just looks like it'd annoy me. Im eventually going to pick it up anyway, but it kind of urks me how all the characters look like Phantasy Star Universe ripoffs. And it's pretty minor, but im butthurt at games no longer using Sprites anymore. : (

As for what im playing....

Im still playing Breath of Fire 4. Jesus christ, this game has the WORST fucking heart stabbing plot elements in it. I don't think i've ever seen protagonists just get their shit stomped on and set on fire, in their face, as bad as i've seen it in this storyline. Even children in this game don't seem to avoid catching the blunt end of the morality stick from some of the fucked up antagonists in this game.

Moreso than ditching Megaman, im furious at Capcom for ignoring this series. This game has such an innovative approach to a battle system. It's the first game i can really think of since Final Fantasy 6 where you are literally encouraged to use every member of your party, because every member of your party is actually useful. And unlike some games that give access to your entire party in battle, it doesn't bullshit you with fake difficulty by making you lose when the front row is eliminated -- it simply swaps them out for you.

There are an abundance of skills and abilities to learn, and the game documents their effects pretty well too. The enemies and bosses are all unique -- i can't remember the last RPG where I felt the need for strategy like this. And, i mean LEGIT strategy. Not that "LOL REEQUIP AND TRY AGAIN" bullshit, like what FFXIII constantly pulls when you go into battle with the incorrect paradigms; you're able to change anything you need during battle.

I've always felt like Breath of Fire was a criminally underrated videogame series. They have never been one to try to really jump out and "OHHH MY GAWDDDD WOWW LOOK AT THIS" the fans of the genre. But god dammit, every entry i've played in the series has been memorable in more ways than a few, and absolutely stellar in gameplay mechanics, specifically IV and DEFINITELY Dragon Quarter. It kills me how shallow critics of the series are when they review them.

I agree about Breath of Fire IV and Dragon Quarter, but the former's minigames are a hell of a lot more annoying than I last remember them to be, mostly due t- *whoosh, 3 gels appear!*. I'm actually glad the later fixed it, even if you're too pressed for time to really appreciate that aspect.

EDIT: When I do actually get around to playing video games, it's to finish up my first playthrough of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Kinda irked that the monster raising aspect is so segregated from the storyline, not to mention the usual "nobody tells me anything" plot that Tales of games like to pull on you. (for once, I'd wish the main character was a bit more worldly; dunno about Yuri Lowell) Neverthess, it's easy to get into if you're a fan of pokemon.

That game was amazing. To this day, i still say that game had the most artistic presentation out of any game i've ever played. Its entire soundtrack was astounding, the menus and loading screens were all interactive and very appealing (it even had a jingle play during the very first few ADX loading screens), and the card art...oh god, i'd spend forever admiring the art on the cards.

That, and the depth of the combat was surprisingly good. Me and my buddy go at it all the time, it's just really fun to play. It's a pity i never got to experience the game online before.

i let my friend borrow my gamecube, so i can't finish it, but I beat the Hunter's final boss and never got to start the Arks. I prefer using the hunters because they're so much easier to keep alive. I tore through the storymode with Silfer, Relmitos, and Ino'lis and pretty much exclusively. But Pollux's broken ability pissed me the hell off a few times lol.

I find the presentation to be amazing as well. Everything is so clean and sleek and it just really fits with PSO. I love the fact that even though the graphics are kind of dated for GC standards, they still have all these little touches I doubt they'd remember for newer games. Like looking out of the window in Pioneer 2 and seeing some spacecraft flying in the distance - shit that you would never actually go looking for and is so miniscule, but was obviously thought of and put in the game.

The music is fantastic too, I agree. Has a lot of my fave tracks. Pollux is also way rad as a last boss, I love her design (well...on the card anyway, the graphics again are slightly dated hah). Such a wicked game.

I find the presentation to be amazing as well. Everything is so clean and sleek and it just really fits with PSO. I love the fact that even though the graphics are kind of dated for GC standards, they still have all these little touches I doubt they'd remember for newer games. Like looking out of the window in Pioneer 2 and seeing some spacecraft flying in the distance - shit that you would never actually go looking for and is so miniscule, but was obviously thought of and put in the game.

The music is fantastic too, I agree. Has a lot of my fave tracks. Pollux is also way rad as a last boss, I love her design (well...on the card anyway, the graphics again are slightly dated hah). Such a wicked game.

Yeah, PSO was a kind of game that looked very dated, but compensated with wonderful art direction and stage element placement. Some of the levels in that game are really pretty, and the music/ambient sound just tops it off in some areas.

Castor/Pollux were interesting, i didn't see them coming at all. I do kind of wish they upgraded the other player models to match Pollux/Castor's polygon count, but i never really cared about the graphics much because the card art more than made up for it usually.

I agree about Breath of Fire IV and Dragon Quarter, but the former's minigames are a hell of a lot more annoying than I last remember them to be, mostly due t- *whoosh, 3 gels appear!*. I'm actually glad the later fixed it, even if you're too pressed for time to really appreciate that aspect.

Only RPG i've ever played that did away with that whole "im going to win in one turn why even make me bother" was Earthbound, which i never really played more than 20 minutes of.

Dragon Quarter used very simple measures to put a huge emphasis on survival and conservation that i've never felt present in another RPG before. By simply limiting your saves, and forcing you to be forever conscious of what you're doing in battle (D-Counter), the game just has a heavy feel to every battle. But most importantly, i've never played a game that literally gives you the strength to decimate ANY boss in the ENTIRE game in a single turn before; a complete redefinition of "disc one nuke" (more like 2nd Hour Nuke). But due to save points being so rare in the game, you aren't really encouraged to use it unless you absolutely have to, because getting killed can lose you hours of gameplay, and abusing your power can literally render your save file unbeatable.

I remember on my first playthrough, i got up to the last few areas in the game, and the bosses just got really heated because my D-counter was nearing 80%, and i was trying my hardest to win without using his Dragon Form and risking it getting too high before the final battle. Dragon Quarter had some of the most nerve wracking bosses ive ever fought before.

I FINALLY looked up a guide during the final battle because he was decimating me and i wasn't sure how many fights i had left, because i was at like 92%....Once i knew what i was able to spend on my counter, i went Legendary Super Sayian 6 and raped his ass.

Listening to these gameplay feature in an RPG before playing it, i was extremely skeptical about how i would possibly enjoy the game, but if i still had the disc i'd be replaying it right now. It was great.