A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

Bouncing of good old Goshi... I think it looks alright, since the background and the... ground... Are low-color enough that it looks slightly cell-shaded anyway.

But I do agree that adding the outline changes it. I believe the correct term at this point is that Lilac and the Indiscriminate Goon look "Toon Shaded" with the outline.

(Wind Waker and Sonic Shuffle where Toon Shaded, not Cell Shaded. Cell Shading uses a few more colors and doesn't have such an obvious outline, if any outline.)

I do however, want that effect plugin!

[qimg]http://i49.tinypic.com/2nlwi1k.png[/qimg]

Pay close attention to Lilac and the turret enemy. I found a nifty Outer Glow effect for MMF2, and I tweaked it so that it gives foreground objects a subtle black outline.

It seems to make things easier to see and has a nice cel-shaded feel to it... but it unfortunately causes lag spikes. If I were to add something like this, I would be better off just adding the outline manually to all of the foreground sprites in the game... which could take a while. xD;

What do you guys think? Would it be worth it?

It looks fantastic (especially if you can make the lives icon on the bottom left do that too). It makes your enemies and you and everything else like that pop out so they don't blend in with the background. It'd probably add a helluva lot more time to get the game done, but it will look a lot better.

The lives icon is a good example of how your character can blend right into the background making things a bit hard to see (even though the art is great).

ncjehv.png

You're right, that does look better. ^_^

I've got most of the lag from the effect reduced, but there's a very slight delay whenever objects are created with the effect in place. xP On second thought, I better not risk this screwing up the demo and just work on it after SAGE is over.

They look great with the colored,non black outline.

And if you're still struggling with making her less Sonic,I suggest you drop the furry part and just make her a human,cat girl thing.

All you'd need to do is edited her face to be more human like,change her legs to skin tone,and everything else would be unSonic -fied,her "quills" already look like hair anyway,just my two cents.

The whole approach you're taking with her is too Sonic like,in a similiar way to Klonoa,and Knlonoa is totally a Sonic and I don't care what people say.Look at other furry VG characters,like Crash and Sparkster for example,they're far from Sonic,but it's a completely different direction,not just "Sonic,but with a different face" as you tried to go in your last redesign attempt.

1 - At this point, with SAGE around the corner... Last minute changes are never good.

2 - This game looks pretty damn original to me already. Similarities or not, who cares? It may have "Sonic" roots but it has certainly taken a spin off to a new direction. We're not talking about brown colored "Monik the Hedgehog" or similar crappy recolors here.

In any case Strife, keep going. Love your work |3

The colored outline effect does help a lot, but it's not that essential.

I think her design is fine how it is. You just basically suggested changing the entire character when she's fine, she looks nothing like Sonic. She looks like Lilac.

No I suggested changing her face and keeping everything else,because Strife himself have been struggling with how to make her look less like Sonic for quite some time now.

And she looks like a Sonic because she IS a Sonic fancharacter originally design by a DA artist to be be exactly that afaik,a Sonic fancharacter.

I like her design too,but it's Strife that wants to make it less Sonic like,I don't post much but I do watch this thread,and he already tried to redesign her many times,including changing/removing the spikes,my suggestion is to keep them,and just change the face is all.

I've thought about just changing the face, actually, and it's something I'm putting into consideration. While the effect on her sprite would be barely noticeable, it would make the larger artwork of her less noticeably fancharacter-esque, since the spikes would be a hairstyle rather than a head shape.

Before I make any more attempts at a head revamp though, I will need to make sure that her original creator is okay with any modifications I make. I sent her a message a few days ago, and I estimate it will take her at least 1-2 weeks to respond. If she says No or doesn't get back to me, then I will be unable to change her on moral grounds and we'll have to accept her the way she is.

I think her design is fine how it is. You just basically suggested changing the entire character when she's fine, she looks nothing like Sonic. She looks like Lilac.

Well no she looks a lot like Sonic, but that's easy enough to fix. I think Shinbaloonba is wanting to take it to extremes, but simply removing the spikes would be good.

It's not a drastic change guys,it's much more subtle than removing the spikes.

lilac.png

Here's what I mean,it still keeps the feel of the character,gets away from the Sonic-y face,requires minimum editing,and it's much better than removing the spikes,which takes away the character's spirit IMO.

And even the current artwork would only need it's face pretty much recolored a bit to match the change.

And the majority of the cast wouldn't even need any edits (excepct the rival guy),isn't the game all about intergalactic travel anyway?

I don't see why the Snake guy for example,needs to look human as Sparks implied.

I dunno, I think you're in the minority Shinbaloonba. The excessive amount of skin seems odd to me. The cast seems better as all non-human.

You're saying that as if it was MY personal bias..

Strife have mentioned pages ago that Lilac looking like a hedgehog may hurt the game's originality and credability,and that point is constantly brought up back to the table,even in this very page by Strife himself.

I like the design,I think it's GREAT as is,but I understand why he worries about it,and I agree with him,so I gave a suggestion,not an order.

Y'know,Cream the Rabbit looks less like Sonic than Lilac does,but she's instantly recognized as a Sonic character,even by non-gamers.

Show Lilac to a non-gamer,and he'll say it's a Sonic character,show her to a gamer and he'll say she's a Sonic FANcharacter.