A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CD Remake Thread

luksamuk

Until it comes out for Windows Mobile (Pre-7), PSP, or DS, I can't really play it on the go. Not exactly an Apple person. Oh, and the Windows Mobile support would need to be compatible with the htc Tilt...

(400MHz, 85MB free RAM, 320x240... Yeah it's a piece-o'-shit 2007 phone.)

Oh, and @Chronic, Serephim, and DW:

My problems with CD are...

The quirky Spindash

Time Over at 10 minutes in huge, terrible levels

Time Travel being a pain in the ass

Odd Physics with regards to momentum

Bad level design

Special Stages with god awful collision

THE SOUND (I'm sorry but HD sound does not come out of a 22KHz chip no matter HOW hard you try.)

The fact that half the game is different because of where you live

No version is the same

Only the Saturn can play the cutscenes right (Not even GameCube does it correctly.)

Oh, and the fact that all remakes of it are based on the goddam US version... The WORST version!

But yeah, I do like 1-K and Chaotix, 2 and R where my childhood! (Well, 3DPC was too, but it wasn't my favorite.)

I've never exceeded even 5 minutes in any of the levels, Time Travle cna be avoided but it's a good point it can take the piss at times. I don't see how the physics or level design are bad, then again it's completely subjective. The collision in the special stages is crappy but I cna assure Taxmans version is so smooth and sexy it puts to rest and fear sof entering the special stages.

The quirky Spindash

THE SOUND (I'm sorry but HD sound does not come out of a 22KHz chip no matter HOW hard you try.)

The fact that half the game is different because of where you live

No version is the same

Only the Saturn can play the cutscenes right (Not even GameCube does it correctly.)

Oh, and the fact that all remakes of it are based on the goddam US version... The WORST version!

For a start, it's CD Quality Audio, 44.1kHz 16-bit.

Sonic CD was never on the Saturn.

Spindash has been replaced with Sonic 2/3 style spindash.

Physics are absolutely beautiful in this version.

You do know that the US version only differed in the soundtrack department right?

For a start, it's CD Quality Audio, 44.1kHz 16-bit

CD audio coming out of the Genesis' 22KHz chip.

Sonic CD was never on the Saturn.

The cutscenes where on Jam.

Physics are absolutely beautiful in this version.

Good for this version that I can't get.

Spindash has been replaced with Sonic 2/3 style spindash.

Good, finally.

You do know that the US version only differed in the soundtrack department right?

And that's why it sucks.

Actually, no. Once you get all the Time Stones, the game defaults to destroying all of the machines.

If you were trying for the achievement, you need to find each machine to destroy manually. If you still want to get the last Time Stone, you'll need to wait until Metallic Madness.

While I am not 100% sure of this, I found this from SEGA Retro:

Audio

The Mega CD adds 10 sound channels to the 10 provided by the Mega Drive's sound chips.

CD Digital Audio

2-channel stereo

44.1 kHz sampling rate

Ricoh RF5C164 PCM chip provides 8 sound channels:

Sound format: 8-bit sign/magnitude monaural PCM (with "stereo" support by allowing each channel to have different volumes on both left and right channels)

Maximum sample rate: 32 kHz

This is also a moot point when concerning the first CD port of the game too which existed on Windows 95.

The cutscenes where on Jam.

The cutscenes were on Mega Collection. The cutscenes were on the PC version. The Cutscenes are in this new version too. What is your point?

Good for this version that I can't get.

You just sound bitter now. In fact I bet that is it. I'm surprised you care this much about a game you seemingly hate to be honest.

And that's why it sucks.

Pay attention now because this has been remade from the ground up and you can switch between both the US and Japanese soundtracks.

I don't consider Sonic CD to be the best of the old school games myself and really if you don't like it that's totally cool too, but dude, you always get so angry and aggressive in all these topics that it is beginning to tick me off. It makes it worse too because you usually spout incorrect nonsense in these discussions.

So there are a few unlockables in this game. Anyone know the exact proces you have to go through to get all the extra's ?

I know of a few like:

having to finish all the stages in time attack to unlock special stage time attack.

Finishing all the stages in time attack below the total of 25 minutes, unlocking somethign as well though I cant remember which one of them it was.

Finishing all the special stage time attacks below the total of 5 minutes unlocking one of the things.

At retro taxman hinted something that had to be done with the numbers 32 and 8. What do you do with them ?

Or just wait for it on steam considering you already have a computer?

Tails - Beat the game one time.

Special Stage Time Attack - Clear normal Time Attack mode with a combined total of 25 minutes or under.

D.A. Garden - Clear Time Attack mode with a combined total of 25 minutes or under OR Clear main game with all 7 Time Stones (needs confirmation).

Visual Mode - Clear Time Attack mode with a combined total of 25 minutes or under.

Stage Select Clear Special Zone Time Attack with a combined total of under 5 minutes.

Sound Test - Clear Special Zone Time Attack with a combined total of under 4 minutes.

Wow.. Getting 5 minutes was allready hard as fuck.

Thanks for that list. I wonder why they couldnt have explqined it one way or another inside the game itself. How will the average person know this or even find it out? While very true to the original, i consider it as a flaw. The average person wont be able tO get everything out of the game....

4 minutes, my god lol. Well im up for it.. later

Well, I finally managed to get it under 4 minutes. The trick is to get around 15 seconds for the first 2/3 special stages. That may sound hard, but since their so easy, you can destroy them all in a row with some practice and knowing the patern.

The last 4 are a bitch but I'd recommend finishing them around 46 to 48 seconds.

WTF did you actually own a Sega CD? It used 44.1 kHz for CD digital audio and most of the CD's were mixed-mode written, meaning data and audio were segregated. Game data was loaded into a buffer on-board while the CD played... it loaded more data as it went along.

Go occupy your mom's basement and stfu.

I have some news, but I'm pretty much sure my GamerCard on my signature already tells what it is.

I couldn't solve the problem with the screen, even deleting it and re-downloading, but tbh, I don't give a fuck. It's very good and plays very smoothly. And yeah, these UFOs are a pain in the ass to kill; I stopped on Quartz Quadrant this afternoon entering Special Stages on almost every act. Still, no Time Stones. But I love the SS's framerate.

But, honestly, I don't have problems getting a Good Future on every Zone by destroying every Robot Teleporter and Metal Sonic Hologram. As I might have said earlier, I once finished the game with some "guides" to do that, so I know exactly what to do on everyone of them.

I'll finish it and play it again without worrying about it, maybe even travelling to the Bad Futures and messing around.

@Rawr:

Aw-kay. Sorry for the bitterness. And it actually sounds like a decent classic game now. I think I'm getting a new laptop and a PS3 for Christmas. (Competent devices, FINALLY!!!) So I should be able to get this on PSN and Steam... Btw, is this ever going to be on PSPN, DSiWare, eShop, or WiiWare...? The first three are by FAR the most ideal way of selling this game, IMO.

No idea, I do know it is going to make its way to Steam (eventually). Unless it is already on there and I just couldn't see it the other day when I went on a "lets see what I can get for 18 dollars CDN" spree*. I am sure it won't be too intense to play on a computer, so no matter your build if you got Steam you'd be able to buy it off there.

*as for what I got I got Cave Story+, Sanctum, A.R.E.S, and Sonic 3...not to mention I won Counter Strike: Source (which I'll probably never play). Sanctum came with all the DLC and the soundtrack too, but I was mainly just after Cave Story. Which isn't too bad of a haul because of the fact that all the prices there are USD.

Though the iPhone controls aren't exactly spectacular, this version of Sonic CD is the best, hands down.

Honestly, I really want this to sell well for the sake of sending SEGA a message to do more Sonic titles like this, but unfortunately, this game was used as a marketing ploy for Sonic 4, and thus knowing SEGA, they'll think it sold well because people want more of that, instead, and therefore we'll get more shit.

Don't even hold your breath for that. They won't waste their time. There's no reason for them to, unless they somehow decide to use the Retro Engine for future sonic 4 episodes, which they will not.

And im going to go out on a limb and say the majority of the Sonic fans could care less about something like this. I know for a fact the kids who missed the Sega Genesis era don't give a damn, and im about 80% sure players who aren't as hardcore as most of the frequents here don't really care either.

Or, rather, they simply cannot tell the difference, which is the big point here.

And after Generations....to be completely honest, I dont even care anymore. I prefer the superior system design of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but it wont stop me from enjoying the game in the slightest.