A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Skywind: Episode II

TailsSena

I'm too nice, that's my problem!

But yeah, I don't think I've ever played a Sonic game that had a plot I gave a shit about.

Like Rawr says, just make the game good; then think about a plot. Does it even need a plot?

Thing is, once people have played the game and stopped laughing at the fact that Eggman is now best mates with Dr. Wily only to find out a fucking Pokemon was deceiving them both they will probably facepalm 2dmaxx.

I can assure you right now, no one will be positively astounded by this twist.

Don't aim big with your plot. It's not important.

Thing is, once people have played the game and stopped laughing at the fact that Eggman is now best mates with Dr. Wily only to find out a fucking Pokemon was deceiving them both they will probably facepalm 2dmaxx.

Hey screw you, i am infinitely intrigued with that plot right now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yay! Finally an update! After evaluating what was hated about the old game, I decided to...

--Rework the physics. Everyone is playable now, and abilities are what set them apart!

-->>Jumping isn't so floaty anymore, either.

--Completely remake Leafgreen Zone! It's still rather platform heavy, but I've tried to make it more interesting and less empty.

--Rework the HUD, and some of the gameplay. You'll notice when you try it.

Now, keep in mind that the first level isn't finished yet, but I'd like some feedback before I get too far ahead of myself...

Download

Graphically, the game is really good. Gameplay wise it works fine. Only issues I have are that Tails and Knuckles(probably Cream as well) can clear the level within 20 seconds due to their abilities, Fell through the floor a few times and the camera spazzing out for Sonic. Besides those issues, looking good so far.

Edit: Now that you mentioned it, what is that green bar for? A health bar?

Are the controls explained somewhere? Since I couldn't find a readme file or a way to configure the keys, I had to try every key on my keyboard in order to find how to enter and exit the options menu. Maybe they are the standard Sonic World keys but I'm not familiar with it.

Also, during the game, I could find how to pause the game, but I couldn't find a way to resume the game after pausing. I tried every button when playing with a controller, but nothing worked.

Also, when running up or down a wall (like at the very beginning of the level) the camera jerks left and right and it's rather uncomfortable.

Otherwise it doesn't seem bad but it's too short to judge. With Sonic, I could complete the level within 30 seconds when taking the upper path and 50 seconds with the lower path.

Got a new test on it, TailsSena.

First, there have been BIG improvements on physics! The jump is on the right timing. Still, it seems that inertia physics are something amiss. When you run up a wall and jump, Sonic jump straight away from the wall, losing the momentum he had instead of having height boosted by the ascending.

Spin Dash didn't seem so powerful as people say, and I've also tested the rolling physics (that seems to work, although I didn't find a slope good enough to test it for real.

As for speed, the inertia works, and way too much XD, It's hard to stop Sonic when you get him really running. But the speed and inertia are quite OK.

Also, the game become pretty light to work, I liked that.

You got a good going this time, TailsSena, keep improving!

Okay, this is really nice Sena.

You fixed most of the really annoying issues, but a few still remain. Mostly camera spazzing bugs and this one bug i encountered where the spring sound repeated really fast and cutoff the BGM.

The gameplay feels alot more smooth. Mostly because you've finally started giving your stages some direction to them. It's actually fun to run around now that the stage has things to do in them.

I dont know what people are saying about the spindash. Feels like any other spindash to me. It doesn't really shoot you off at broken speed nor does it take too many button mashes to make it useful, like most fangames annoyingly love to do. I think its fine.

Here's my feedback:

As I told you, I'm loving the progress of your game, from it I can see how you evolved. I love the way you made your trail effect, and sidekick AI seems to work pretty well.

But here are the glitches I found:

1. You can't unpause (yeah... you already know that)

2. Camera bugs when you run down/up a wall

3. Sonic's voice clip while using Homing attack on an enemy just annoys the hell out of me

4. I apparently can move while the titlecard is still on screen

5. The HUD is too big :/

6. If you run up a wall and finds an obstacle, you'll stay walking for 1 second before you fall. I know that might be intentional, but that seems odd. It'd be better if you make this up or just remove it making the player fall instantly

7. Voice clips seem odd on your background music. Can't you amplify the samples using Audacity?

Nice Thanks for Playing screen, btw.