A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Zero: The Official game of Sonic Worlds

Been a long time since I posted here really, but I do it for good reason.

From the beginning, I've been working on this fangame for many years, a long time coming really. And now, after having discovered the power of Sonic worlds, and the fine updates made from the fellow forumers and I that made the engine what it is today, Sonic Zero shall be the main game to demonstrate just how helpful, how unique, how customizable, and how powerful Sonic Worlds can be.

To be fair, this is only a small bit of an idea, brought to my attention. I may not know where this may lead. But I will say this...

Zero can and will be a Collaborative project from this moment forward. This thread will also be the main update thread.

First thing to go through, are the main rules. These are subject to change over time.

1: Any submitted level must be layed out as such. This is thanks to EarthmasterT.

ZONE 1: "ZONE NAME"

DEVELOPED BY: "DEVELOPER'S NAME"

ACTS: "# OF ACTS"

2: Art styles of levels are limited to the 16-bit Era of Sonic games.(Sonic1, 2, 3, CD, Chaotix, etc.) Anything beyond that Like Sonic Advance and such are not recommended.

3: You are allowed to use any program possible to make and play the level you made, but once your level has been accepted, you must make a png file of all the tiles that make up the level. Helps port things around from engine to engine. More details will come shortly.

More details about this collab will come. At the mean time, feel free to ask any questions.

Now Accepting Donations of most kinds.

I thought for those that are interested, they may want to read this file.

Sonic Zero project document

MC to start us off on a good foot. I think you should probably set up a series of ground rules and exactly what Sonic Zero could become.

Since this is a planned SFGHQ community project it might not be a bad idea to take suggestion on rules. Of course under the guidance of MCKhaos who I imagine will be making most of the final calls on this game. As community projects left to a vote tend to lead no where quickly.

We're going to need everyones help to make this happen.

backgrounded.png

First act will probably be going into the little level collab, but I'll be happy to put the finished deal in here for you. It's still got a ways to go before I'd call it a proper oldschool Sonic level, but it's my first level, my only level , and currently my best level... as if there was a lot of competition.

I would very much love to help with this project, but sadly, I am not experienced in any of Click-Team's Products.

However, I can offer suggestions for rules. It could at least impact how this project becomes.

Obviously, there should be a group of people who will judge the levels, to see if they meet the expectations of the project (Length, Difficulty, Enemy Placement, Level Design, Graphical Aspects, the list goes on and on...), but it should be placed upon a deeper level than 'yay or nay'. I honestly think that said judges (and participants) should be accustomed to both the developing aspect of Click-Team's Products, and also be experienced in the various aspects of Worlds.

It might also be helpful to create a template to track the progress, like:

PROGRESS: "00%"
(so on and so forth...)[/CODE]

[size=1](If I sound like I'm repeating stuff, or am saying something that is obvious, just blame it upon the fact that I'm new to SFGHQ.)[/size]

• Like 1

MC to start us off on a good foot. I think you should probably set up a series of ground rules and exactly what Sonic Zero could become.

Since this is a planned SFGHQ community project it might not be a bad idea to take suggestion on rules. Of course under the guidance of MCKhaos who I imagine will be making most of the final calls on this game. As community projects left to a vote tend to lead no where quickly.

We're going to need everyones help to make this happen.

Well, I'll revise the first post with a good set of rules. I'm not to used to leading a collab, so this will be a learning experience for me.

@EarthmasterT: That is a good suggestion. Maybe to wire it down, there will be three judges to check out the main subjects you stated, the template provided is mandatory to easily sort through the levels people have made so far. I'll make this on the first post as I go.

Obviously, there should be a group of people who will judge the levels, to see if they meet the expectations of the project (Length, Difficulty, Enemy Placement, Level Design, Graphical Aspects, the list goes on and on...), but it should be placed upon a deeper level than 'yay or nay'. I honestly think that said judges (and participants) should be accustomed to both the developing aspect of Click-Team's Products, and also be experienced in the various aspects of Worlds.

Honestly, I don't know how much I agree with that. Everyone has different standards of quality, and it might be more fun to be inclusive. Rather than having judges, I think I'd rather just have a leader who says "Yes, we want this" or "No, this isn't right because it lacks in this, this, and this area. If you want, we can talk about what needs improvement and you can keep working on it." No need to have a complicated command structure, and I don't really think there's any need to keep people out of it based on experience either. A community project is a great way to start learning as long as there isn't a whole lot of co-dependance.

It might also be helpful to create a template to track the progress, like:

PROGRESS: "00%"
(so on and so forth...)[/CODE]

[size=1](If I sound like I'm repeating stuff, or am saying something that is obvious, just blame it upon the fact that I'm new to SFGHQ.)[/size]

I'm don't think there is much of a need or an ability to do elaborate progress tracking either. Welcome to SFGHQ by the way.

If it helps, you can have my unfinished attempt at a city zone. It has a few decent tiles, a custom badnik, and animated background strobe lights.

swesz2.pngswesz1.png

If you're only accepting complete zones, then I'd be happy to give this to one of the collaborators if they think it would help them finish a zone. :3

• Like 1

BlazefireLP, post your monitors and the stuff you made for Sonic Frenzy. If you don't mind that stuff being used.

Ristar get some music going if you like. We could also probably use any sprites you've made if you are open to it.

DW awesome backgrounds installed!

Also awesome hud. Rep+

So im kinda confused here, Do we have to make a level based on the descriptions in "SONIC ZERO - ZONES.docx"

Or do we create our own levels and submit them?

Not really. The docx is basically the example of what makes up the game Sonic Zero. The levels described up there are god examples for what people want to make or try to make in the future of this project. Not everything is final.

http://soundcloud.com/tunners/techzone

bit of a test run of VGM music maker... I'm getting used to it now.

That's actually quite good, yet oddly enough the beginning made me pumped for a boss fight. I wonder... yet I'm hoping the deferences between your music and my music wont clash too much. yours sound more authentic than mine.

that's cause I use VGM Music Maker, baby! It is a complete emulation of the YM2612 and PSG chip in the megadrive. You can export VGM files which can (through a program called VGM Player) be played on an actual megadrive. So in terms of authenticity, VGM Music Maker is the best :D

well I was going for a "tech" zone and what says "tech" more than a square wave? :P

FM Synthesis isn't easy either, all the instruments were dialed in from scratch bar the drum samples.

not wanting to get too defensive, but the instruments I chose were appropriate for the setting I was going for. Too many unique instruments isn't a good thing either :P

wowww that's absolutely amazing. totally didn't expect that. but I think you're definitely onto something there, I mean that tune is amazing anyway, but maybe I could do the Act 1 stuff, then others can remix or we can interchange.

that's still amazing!

also! here's a little bonus to show off what VGM Music Maker can do:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34309799/soniczero.bin

load that into a Genesis emulator and you can listen to a couple of songs I've done in VGMMM, including the Techzone one :D

I think it sounds like a Genesis remix of something you'd find in a Game Gear Sonic game. =D Me likes.

EDIT: Felt inspired to throw together an Act 2 remix. Please excuse the similarity to a certain Mega Man 9 stage. xD It's just a doodle, so go ahead and tweak it if you want.

Holy hell strife, that sounds very catchy! Nice work.

Thanks guys. ^_^

That's so cool about VGM Music Maker. =D And it seems like it can import MOD files, so I could still use the MIDI tools I'm comfortable with as long as I find a MIDI to MOD converter. I daresay I have next to no experience with trackers.