A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Generations Thread

Kirs

I'm considering it. I was actually going to build a PC for Generations with the hopes that the hardware (that I have yet to buy) will get it to do 60. Input lag on the keyboard does sound like an issue with the game itself, but perhaps it might just be a driver issue, or both. But hey, just my guess here. :/

Well, I've heard the framerate is locked to 30 with some stuttering in CPZ, even if you have high specs running the game at its maximum settings. I'm not sure though.

and, oh man, dat soundtrack. I'm listening to the JP version of SSZ right now.

Got the PC version. Does anyone have lag input using a USB keyboard?. I can stand the low framerate but the lag input is unbearable.

Yes, and it seems to improve when using a 360 controller plugged in, but there's still a bit of a delay. It's not gamebreaking, but sometimes it fucks me up a bit.

I actually prefer Crackers over CD, and obviously Chaotix atop that... CD was a good game, but everything about it's sound was absolutely horrid... "High Quality CD audio" my ass, the game sounds like shit. Chaotix was beautiful.

i said the same thing about sonicCD until i learned about the japanese soundtrack.

even still, i felt like the whole time travel gimmick was trash either way. i'd have rather just replayed the game in the past present or future instead of go the whole game feeling like i missed 60% of the game.

Sonic CD is probably my least favorite of all of the sonic games.

Sonic CD is probably my least favorite of all of the sonic games.

Yeah! Now there are at least two devout Sonic fans who don't conform to the law of "You like Sonic, therefor you like Sonic CD because it's the highlight of all Sonic games."... Bullshit to that law, CD is only okay and nothing more. Best I can say for it is that it was big, very, very big and frustrating with it's infinite puzzles. Have not heard the JAP sound-track, but I've heard of it... All I know is that the US sound-track is THE WORST one out there. (Yes, that called for caps.)

I actually prefer Crackers over CD, and obviously Chaotix atop that... CD was a good game, but everything about it's sound was absolutely horrid... "High Quality CD audio" my ass, the game sounds like shit. Chaotix was beautiful.
It'd be nice if you could give constructive criticism instead of giving a vague statement (especially when there's two different soundtracks, and different versions of the game) then denouncing the audio as horrible.

STOP THE WAR

Just hear the JP soundtrack. That's all.

And yeah, Sonic CD was kinda boring, but I must say that most of the boredom was occasioned by some specific technical issues (e.g. charge a spindash. I doubt you can hear it for 3 minutes in a row.)

Also, talking about soundtrack, I was hearing

and I completely thought that SEGA should've varied the kind of levels here. There's what, THREE city levels?

I would have loved seeing a remake of Chun-nan or Adabat instead of Speed Highway.

And I didn't like the remakes of the Planet Wisp music, from what I saw in the videos.

Sonic Unleashed had the best soundtrack IMO. Not saying that it's only good, but it's musically clever. All of the songs were unnatural to my ears, and I like it. The most "strange" one was Spagonia's, that seems to break the compass.

Sonic Colors comes after.

Constructive criticism is that there are a lot of things to be found, some of them valuable and helpful, some of them absolutely useless or even harmful. (Angel/Eggman statue, for example.)

That's not really opinion based criticism.. ..those are facts about Sonic CD. The statues are what you call an Easter Egg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_%28media%29).

and LH, wouldn't you mean Chun-nan or Adabat instead of Rooftop Run. :V

and LH, wouldn't you mean Chun-nan or Adabat instead of Rooftop Run. :V

(Ignoring the war)

Yeah, Speed highway was great in Adventure 1, I'd love to the Generations remake! But, having beat Unleashed (Wii version, shut up.), most of the levels where only okay, but the music made up for that. And I LOVED the night-time levels. (No, seriously, they where amazing!)

yeah Unleashed definitely had one of the best soundtracks, but i wouldn't put it above SA2's OST because i liked it for the same reasons i liked Unleashed's. It'd be like comparing genres to me.

Unleashed's night tracks and hub themes were captivating, especially Spagonia and Apotos night.

I dont think Sonic CD was a bad game, i just don't think it was nearly as fun as Sonic 2 or Sonic 3. It just had too much going on -- its almost like i wasn't allowed to play through the game and get a fulfillment of completing a stage because i was CONSTANTLY encouraged to backtrack every step i took. Not to mention, nobody EVER wanted to go to the future (especially in the american soundtrack) so why even put future posts there?

I think the classic sonic games....well, i think ANY videogame is 50% gameplay, and 50% audio. Graphics are squeezed in there somewhere. Sonic CD originally didn't stick well with me because its soundtrack was so god damn dull.

In fact, before i even knew ANYTHING about the japanese OST, i would always try to play in the past stages not only because they were easy on the eyes, but because they sounded so much better. Come to find out, the only tracks (for some reason) that were kept from the JPOST were the past tracks.

Isn't rooftop run part of Adabat though? Or was it somewhere else...?

They SO should have put Jungle Joyride into generations instead of Rooftop run. It was one damn epic stage run, with all the water running/drifting segments and jungle chases. IMO it was one of the most exhilarating stages in the whole game.

Lagged like hell though. It was a wonderful showcase of the graphics engine, but woulda been tons better without the crazy framerate dips...Regardless, the water skimming parts of unleashed were some of the best parts of the levels. What better way to capitalize on sonic's speed than to let him run over the ocean?

Same with Hydrocity Zone. Not only did it have like the best level track ever, but i would have loved to see that stage in HD. It would have made for some really fun stuff, with the water rides and water skimming and whatnot. They definitely should have put that in place of Chemical Plant IMO.

Edit: im actually watching this guy play this game right now, and im amazed at how amazing it is. He isn't even boosting (like, at all) and the stages just look so dynamic.

It looks like they finalllllllly decided to do like the older Sonic Team and actually STOP penalizing you for falling/exploring the stage.

Edit: Rooftop Run definitely looks improved. My lord, im just not used to seeing so much to do in a sonic stage these days!

I've played until dreamcast era so far. What I have to say is that Sega finally found the right formula for modern Sonic, I'm having tons of fun with it.

About classic Sonic though I have to say it's a failure. It's not even close to the monstruosity of Sonic 4, but yet it's not like I used to play the genesis games.

Physics ruined rolling, even in a half pipe (those U shaped), where I was suposed to charge the speed and access higher places by keeping rolling, simply doesn't work in Generations. The insta-spindash is unfair. And the engine just feels wrong in many slopes. At least the level design makes classic Sonic levels sorta fun...