A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Generations Thread

Kirs

Sonic-Generations-Party.png

Since no one has posted it yet.

"At the start of the game, everyone is attending a picnic in honour of Sonic’s 20th, when all of a sudden a mysterious dark force intrudes and sends everyone, including our spiky blue protagonist, back in time. Sonic is finding a way to get himself and everyone else back to the present time and along the way he bumps into many familiar faces including his younger (albeit chubbier) self! The two Sonics team up and work together to save their friends once again."

The fact they keep nuking tails from gameplay baffles me. I guess Sonic Gameplay has changed to the point where seperate characters just doesnt work anymore.

Agreed. I don't mind the original Sonic-Tails-Knuckles trio as a set of playable characters, or even Amy thrown into the mix. If I had to guess, Sega is overcompensating for all of the "Too many characters / You can't play as Sonic enough" criticism by making Sonic the only playable character period. They started with Sonic 4 by popular vote.

I don't think they should necessarily limit themselves to Sonic, but rather have the game focus exclusively on the character you choose to play as.

Yeah, i think they're doing it because people are complaining, and like i posted above, they dont seem to know why so they just cut everyone but sonic from the game.

I do agree that all those other characters should just stay SIDE characters. But for the most part, i think they're being removed so easily because sonic gameplay has changed too much. In every 2D sonic game...well, pretty much ever, Sonic is no faster than Tails, Knuckles, Cream, blah blah blah. But what sets them apart are their abilities, which makes the stage more fun to play as each character because you can explore an area you couldn't before, or tackle an obstacle differently than before. Not to mention, their stupid storylines and everything would easily get in the way of gameplay too.

Sonic > Boost

Tails > Fly

Knuckles > Climb

Everyone > Spindash

Bam. If they were to create a sonic game with these different stage aspects in mind, then i think they'd be forced to get creative with gameplay. Look at Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Playing Sonic 3 with knuckles is damn near a different game entirely. Tails could follow sonic, except take a few different level paths with a few different ending stages. I think Sonic Adventure did this well enough, anyway. You could roll down hills with everybody for really high speed, but Sonic could spindash constantly for instant superspeed. Hell, even Sonic Adventure 2 had a decent approach with it...at least each character had SPECIFIC levels and playstyles. But just nixing them entirely? Boring, man.

But even if they did throw Tails/knuckles in this game, i dont think he'd even fit in, because 1) there's nowhere to fly to, and 2) they're no walls to climb in this game. Sonic level design is like, specifically sonic these days. Not enough platforming anymore.

Ugh, that last bit is so true. -_- I think it all started with Dimps and Sonic Advance 2. In Advance 2 and 3, there were multiple characters, but you could get through the whole game without ever needing (or feeling the need) to use your character's unique abilities.

It's also one of the reasons that I find fangaming to be so appealing, because it returns to a style of stage design that accommodates all three of the original characters. :3

I agree too, Been able to access different areas with Knuckles by smashing walls and Secret heights with tails gave the games more re playability.. and then been able to use Knuckles in sonic 2 to reach new areas was genius.

They should do that with Sonic 4 Ep2, if you have Ep1 installed then it should allow you to play with Tails (Thats if hes going to be in ep2)

• 2 weeks later...

espeed: the short answer is that Sega is run by fuckpuppets. All branches of Sega, although Sega of Japan could defintely be referred to as Xenophobic.

Also, keep in mind that all retail western Sega releases have been primarily ran out of London since last year. (So once again, call it Xenophobia if you want, although for Sega of Europe I just refer to them as bloody wankers) Sega of America just gets to decorate offices and run the train wreck digital only releases.

But in summary, Sega just has a history of fuck ups. Hell do you remember Sonic's 15th anniversary? We had Sonic 06 and Sonic: Genesis. I don't care how many of you are "the only person who liked Sonic 06" but the game was terrible, and basically a sign of how mishandled the Sonic franchise is.

That being said, I can list off plenty more things: Neutered releases of Yakuza 3, Phantasy Star Universe, Yakuza 4, Phantasy Star Portable 1/2, and the last batch of Valkyria Chronicles DLC. We're still waiting on Yakuza of the End and PSP2 Infinite, although I'm assuming those will never make it over anyway. And let's not forget Valkyria Chronicles 3 or anything with "Puyo" in it's name. Yeah, still waiting on those too.

Keeping in mind this year Sega was also responsible for the Sonic Anniversary statues, that they ended up giving away to god knows who. I know one went to one of Sega's biggest critics. Still not sure what that was about.

The point is, Sega fucks up. A lot. This is just another example of that. I know that I'll probably be importing the CE from Europe now, just so I don't have to give Sega of America the purchase.

tl;dr Sega is a company of fuckpuppets.

Occasionally when I pop up on my old aim screenname, people like to ask "Geez ila, why did you just sort of up and leave SFGHQ activity?" my response is to see above.