A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic X-treme GM8

bannersxgm8.png

I have released the final preview video for my game Sonic Xtreme GM8. No more videos from now on. The next release will be the beta demo. This video shows a near complete Jade Gully with flying, early Red Sands pyramid work, wall bumpers, and sprite previews of the bosses(created by MugenHunter)

I am also pulling all of the old videos down in an effort to keep it all organized

Screenshots links:

screen1nf.png

screen2bf.png

screen3v.png

screen4yc.png

screen5i.png

bannersxgm8.png

FINAL YOUTUBE PREVIEW

Hmm...looks intereseting.Great work!

I heard about Sonic X-treme remake(http://sonic-xtreme.com/) but since January there was no info about it.

I hope you'll not abandon your version.

Good luck.

and welcome on the forum =)

Yes several people have attempted doing sonic X-treme but I don't think anyone has ever finished a project. I will definitely be finishing this project. I mean it's been 14 years already and no real sonic xtreme! I'm running with that thought all the way to the goal!

Okay, I'm gonna give you some critical advice based on the video:

1) Slow Sonic down. He looks really difficult to control at that speed.

2) If you're going to have obstacles in front of the camera like at the 1:00 mark, you should try to make them transparent when Sonic is behind them or position the camera differently. That's going to be very difficult to play if you have to guess where the platforms are.

3) Assuming this is the first stage you should make sure there isn't many pitfalls (AKA places to fall off and die). Make as much ground as possible for the first stage (in fact, I'd like this for all stages really) so you can really explore the level and have some fun with it.

Either way, it looks lovely (really close to the original) and it appears to play well allowing for some good platforming. Obviously this is hard to judge on video alone so if you could get a beta/demo up for us to play we can help you a little better.

Haha are the badguys from Chameleon Twist? Its the only game I can remember with the enemies that looked like that, but its been a while.

Anyway cool stuff from the vids so far dude, hope to see it become more polished and stuff in the future and I'll watch the progress :). Its too bad its in GM, I don't seem to really like the way the 3D games have come out in it so far since they look hard to control most of the time and the 3D really isn't all that pretty looking, but this still looks decent.

Haha are the badguys from Chameleon Twist? Its the only game I can remember with the enemies that looked like that, but its been a while.

Anyway cool stuff from the vids so far dude, hope to see it become more polished and stuff in the future and I'll watch the progress :). Its too bad its in GM, I don't seem to really like the way the 3D games have come out in it so far since they look hard to control most of the time and the 3D really isn't all that pretty looking, but this still looks decent.

HA! HA! HA! are you talking about this guy?

N64Chameleon2burger.png

Damn they are twins....

scaled.php?tn=0&server=243&filename=sweep.gif&xsize=640&ysize=640

No all the badniks you see in the video are from Sonic Xtreme. I have been thinking about adding in some misc baddies from other games that use ACM pre-rendered sprites, but I haven't decided yet. One of the main things I've been focusing on in tweaking this engine is making the controls super easy and fun to play. Overall I want this to be a smooth play experience and an enjoyable game. I am aware that most 3D games made with Game Maker suffer from these issues but I have faith in this little engine!

So I finally got a working HUD up for Winged Wolfs old engine, something he was never able to do. I also have successfully recreated the trees from Sonic Xtreme the ones with the spinning tops. Right now I'm working with scripting to try and get time lives and rings system into the game.8152010progress.png

Could you find a different Sonic head for the lives icon that matches the style of the game a bit more?

Also, please at least fake some world lighting using different colored textures. ;>

while i cant say that's impossible to fake lighting because is very possible even Game Maker can do some pretty HD lighting and shadows, it could nearly impossible to run because since GM games kills some of the virtual memory, with fake or not effects added it will kill not the VM but the PC itself, also it depends in how the engine can handle fake lighting and shaows, but i could love to see this with some cool PSX lighting.

As for the head, if i remember the lives icon in the original Sonic Xtreme was mostly a sprite of a little sonic from the Sonic 3 continue sprite with a Sonic and a X added that could work for the moment, but maybe using some of the Sonic pre-renderer sprites and take just the head.

or better yet:

sonic-3d.jpg

sonic3d.bmp

Sonic3D.jpg

the first one hasnt to be that way but more cleaner and nice could work, i dunno if those are enough to explain what the Lives icon head could look like, but is just an idea.

FangMHstanding.gifMetalixMHstanding.gif Nack The Weasel and Metal Sonik (Sprites Created by MugenHunter) will be 2 of the 3 bosses in my Game.

sxcknucklesruns.gifKnuckles Will be a NPC you can race

and the new lives HUD icon I created using the 3d model from Sonic Xtreme

newhud.png

while i cant say that's impossible to fake lighting because is very possible even Game Maker can do some pretty HD lighting and shadows, it could nearly impossible to run because since GM games kills some of the virtual memory, with fake or not effects added it will kill not the VM but the PC itself, also it depends in how the engine can handle fake lighting and shaows, but i could love to see this with some cool PSX lighting.

Actually depending on your PC any game maker game can run at full speed no matter how much crap you shove into it. The reason why some games lag is the way the authors code their games. I'm dealing with that now shoving a bunch of crap into this engine and still keeping it stable. Here's the thing, the way Game Maker Games read code for 3d games is pure Direct 3D drawing. Meaning the game is always going to run being pushed by software instead of hardware or open GL. The minimum PC requirements for my game to run will be........ brace yourself and don't freak out:

Dual Core 2.3 or higher cpu,

Direct X9.0c or higher,

2 GB System Ram

256 MB or higher 3d Graphics card (this one may change to 512)

I am testing my game on about 6 pcs and I will try to get the requirements lower but I'm going to tell you right now a single core CPU aint gonna be able to handle it. If you have a decent PC then you don't need to worry.

Keep at it, with an overall forum wide tendency for many projects like this to just disappear most have been numbed to projects like yours. How ever it looks like you have a good start and I take it this is only in the beginning stages. Keep at it and post a demo when it's relatively playable.

no more feedback? nobody cares.

I'll take a look later once I'm out of class - but ugh, why do all you new members do this? People will not comment every single time on every single thing you do, it's annoying to keep seeing this.