A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic X-treme GM8

I am releasing some videos of some work I've been doing all week because I need feedback.

I have came up with 2 different ways to do the invincibility effect (the one where sonic jumps on the white spinning ball with his face) and I can't decide which one looks better:

(1) The first one, which looks more like a dome------>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyA5426agRA

(2) Or the second which is more close to the real sonic Xtreme--->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ull2HKxTiUQ

(3) Also I have done some physics work like the homing attack and spin dash. I changed the sparkle effect on the ring when you collect it and I completely remade my springs.Also in this video you get to see the starfox 64 style flying gimmick I have added via the fly monitor. I would like to know what everybody thinks of these changes as well. LOOK!!!------>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUXTIn2_0bU

So I decided to do a few more videos because I have made a lot of changes and now I'm not going to be finished until mid November. But it's all good, I hope you like what I've been doing all week!

JADE GULLY

<-------New Video Link!

jadegullyscreenshot.png

CRYSTAL FROST

<------New Video Link!

crystalfrostscreenshot.png

HANG GLIDER ACTION!

<------New Video Link!

hanggliderscreenshot.png

Let me know what you think!!!

this is one of the best games ive ever seen. its up there with sonic robo blast 2

I'm not very fond of that game at all. Don't get me wrong I respect Sonic Team Jr for all of their work they put into their little project, but I always felt as though they could have done better. The decision to use the doom engine (or free doom or doom 2 or whatever it is) to make a sonic game is beyond me..... I always felt they should have used something better.

Please never compare Sonic X-treme GM8 to that game ever again, I know it is very popular and everyone has downloaded it (including me) but you are comparing a McDonalds hamburger to a babyback rib dinner.

Sonic X-treme GM8 will be the game that makes you forget about SRB2. That's my own personal little goal. Anyway I don't like talking about other peoples work or badmouthing something someone worked hard on so please no more comments on this, I feel bad for stating my opinion. And Sonic Team Jr if you ever read this, I'm sorry but we all have an opinion.

So I decided to do a few more videos because I have made a lot of changes and now I'm not going to be finished until mid November. But it's all good, I hope you like what I've been doing all week!

JADE GULLY

<-------New Video Link!

[qimg]http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9070/jadegullyscreenshot.png[/qimg]

CRYSTAL FROST

<------New Video Link!

[qimg]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4006/crystalfrostscreenshot.png[/qimg]

HANG GLIDER ACTION!

<------New Video Link!

[qimg]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/839/hanggliderscreenshot.png[/qimg]

Let me know what you think!!!

You did all this in one day?!

Please never compare Sonic X-treme GM8 to that game ever again

I don't even think that these games CAN be compared.Them have completely different style/designs/concepts =\

Anyway we are talking about Sonic X-treme here...

with every new video it looks more and more finished with all that sounds and effects =)

But i still think that you should work on level design...and please ...can you change that "Sonic-Sonic" sound...it sound awful =(

Liked graphics of CRYSTAL FROST!It just great!

And i think need more work with glider desing...it looks soo big for so small Sonic.

thats my opinion

like squallff8 that "Sonic-sonic" kinda dont blend well with the game, it makes it look silly or something, maybe if you change it to like "Yeah!" or "Here we go!" could work out but i think the speed shoes doesnt need a sound to know they are speed shoes, aslo you can use the "Yes!!" from Sonic CD for that, but i think that Sonic-Sonic! is from that SNES hack of speedy gonzales Sonic 4 with the marios as checkpoints saying this.

Now i think i know that the Sonic Xtreme Soundtrack was released by Chris Senn some time ago, i dunno but i think have heard it somewhere, you know it fits more with the game since part of the sources have leaked/released by now, also i think the Quadrant Quartz song fits for Jade Gully, even if it was a test for the game, it fits more i think.

Yeah the glider is kinda big, KINDA but still cool, just work a little on that and you will get something even better.

like squallff8 that "Sonic-sonic" kinda dont blend well with the game, it makes it look silly or something, maybe if you change it to like "Yeah!" or "Here we go!" could work out but i think the speed shoes doesnt need a sound to know they are speed shoes, aslo you can use the "Yes!!" from Sonic CD for that, but i think that Sonic-Sonic! is from that SNES hack of speedy gonzales Sonic 4 with the marios as checkpoints saying this.

Now i think i know that the Sonic Xtreme Soundtrack was released by Chris Senn some time ago, i dunno but i think have heard it somewhere, you know it fits more with the game since part of the sources have leaked/released by now, also i think the Quadrant Quartz song fits for Jade Gully, even if it was a test for the game, it fits more i think.

Yeah the glider is kinda big, KINDA but still cool, just work a little on that and you will get something even better.

You are absolutely right. It's the sound that plays is when you get the speed shoes in the snes sonic pirate game! I put that in there as a joke to see if anyone would notice it! I have sonic voice clips out the ying yang I'm going to use one of those. As for the glider gimmick, I'm no where near finished tweaking that. I promise that will get better. I've only just started. Sonic will also ride a hover craft in crystal frost and some other vehicle .... not sure what yet. any ideas?

well i can come up with some ideas, like you can try to implement in a fire level the same dinosaur like badniks from Hill Top Zone, the ones that shoots you fireballs from his mouth and if you destroy its head you can use his body as platform, also i dunno but they are tons of unreleased videos on youtube and even in Sonic Retro Forums was released some kind of 3D viewer that allows you to see all the levels of Sonic Xtreme, there is also one gameplay video that has kinda like a zoom tube made of rings, and kinda like a magic carpet gimnick, let me check some videos on youtube.

Here you have:

Crystal Frost:

Red Sands:

Death Egg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq_iPxQsbm0

New Paths:

Pitch Demo:

Jade Gully:

And this is the video with those rings and the magic carpet gimnick:

I hope those can help you a little also if i find again the 3D viewer for the Sonic Xtreme levels i will upload it here.

well i can come up with some ideas, like you can try to implement in a fire level the same dinosaur like badniks from Hill Top Zone, the ones that shoots you fireballs from his mouth and if you destroy its head you can use his body as platform, also i dunno but they are tons of unreleased videos on youtube and even in Sonic Retro Forums was released some kind of 3D viewer that allows you to see all the levels of Sonic Xtreme, there is also one gameplay video that has kinda like a zoom tube made of rings, and kinda like a magic carpet gimnick, let me check some videos on youtube.

Here you have:

Crystal Frost:

Red Sands:

Death Egg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq_iPxQsbm0

New Paths:

Pitch Demo:

Jade Gully:

And this is the video with those rings and the magic carpet gimnick:

I hope those can help you a little also if i find again the 3D viewer for the Sonic Xtreme levels i will upload it here.

I've already seen all of those videos and the only one that I like the gimmicks in were the last one. I'm not really seeking to accurately recreate sonic xtreme. I do want to mimic a lot of stuff from it. It's still going to be sonic xtreme but I want to go in a different direction with my version. I want to put some stuff in there that's really unique and when people finish playing I want to leave them with the impression "DAMN I CANT BELIEVE THAT WAS FAN MADE" I have some other ideas I haven't really touched on yet but you will see them soon enough.

Sonic has never really been big on special powerups that has always been marios' thing because of the speed of gameplay I guess but I'm also hoping to change that as well. I have some cool ideas up my sleeve for new powerups. Well anyway I don't want to tell everything......

O_O

Great job!

I have also taken to your advice about level design. More so what sonic will be doing in the levels. In Crystal Frost for instance Sonic will have to break a series of blocks to find a key to gain access to the following area. I'm working on falling bridges hazards such as falling ice cycles and mission objectives for each zone. I will tell you this much, he's going to be doing a lot of breaking $h!+ in Crystal Frost. I hope you like the lives icon and the new hud, it's final.

actually i still don't really like life icon...sorry ^_^

it don't fit to sonic art style at all...

I'll try to draw one for you in these days.and if you're like it,you be able to use it. ;-)

Another thing i don't really like is font of numbers.Them looks not like Sonic games fonts. try making them like "RINGS" word.

• Like 1