A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic X-treme GM8

Jesus H Christ, is this guy for real!?

Seriously man, calm the fuck down. You've been working on this game like a nutter, quicker than I've seen anyone put something of this caliber together. The world is not waiting for Sonic Xtreme to be finished so chill out, get off your high horse and remember you're making a FAN GAME.

Now, I'm sorry to hear about your personal problems but there was no need to spill it on the forums. It sounds like you're desperate for attention which I've gotta say, you sounded like you were previous to your break-up anyway!

You could have just said, "something serious has come up and I'm afraid development will be delayed for a while". People will understand. Real life comes first. The people that want to play your game are more than willing to wait if you're dedicated to the project.

CALM DOWN AND ACT LIKE YOUR 27.

Do you even understand what this guy is going through?

• 2 weeks later...

The problems in my life that I mentioned earlier are over and I'm moving on.

I will be starting back on the project this week. Wednesday to be exact. I would like to thank squallff8 for his help and hard work on my new lives icon! It's actually perfect! I will also have a big announcement about the game Wednesday so check the thread for more info then. I can however reveal a few things now....

1) Fish-Eye lens will be an option you can turn on or off.

2) There will be a Hovercraft gimmick

3) There will be an option to turn on CLASSIC textures or NEW HIGH REZ.

The big boy announcement will have to wait until I can provide a video.

I'll give a hint though....

Two is always better than one.

It's time to do something COMPLETELY NEW with Fan Gaming

Item_Bop___Mushroom_by_Neslug.gif

Hint Hint

• 1 month later...

I decided to make some beta demos for you guys to download and play test the game! Keep in mind things are not final and the project still has a long way to go!!!

Also keep this in mind:

Minimum System requierments:

Dual Core 2.9ghz or faster

2 gigs System Ram

Direct X 9.0C or better

512mb 3d graphics card (NVIDIA WORKS BETTER)

(need to manage my resources better. I'm gonna try using external .png files for textures)

I HAVE tested this game on other systems with lower specs and it runs like crap! If you do not have these specifications DO NOT TRY AND PLAY THE DEMOS. PCS I tested with single core CPUS crashed during play. I can not stress this enough! Do not attempt to play if you dont meet these specifications!

anyway here are the 2 demos for download, enjoy!

Jade Gully Beta Demo

http://www.mediafire.com/?4rbg2zrmf983jrq

Crystal Frost Beta Demo

http://www.mediafire.com/?7zl0cysl787ha9c

Also keep this in mind:

Minimum System requierments:

Dual Core 2.9ghz or faster

2 gigs System Ram

Direct X 9.0C or better

512mb 3d graphics card (NVIDIA WORKS BETTER)

This is ridiculous. Seriously.

Copya pasta from me saying this same junk to someone else, elsewhere.

Object deactivation is a must. If the object is too far away for the player to see or prepare to interact with, there's no point in running the scripts for that object.

Without deactivation you're running every script in the entire room every single step.

Currently I'm using a 3D engine with acceleration, model collisions with physics, several light points, and it runs a flawless 60fps, using only a third of what you listed here. (course I didn't make it :P, I'm just using it for funnsies).

This game here should have no problem running on .5Ghz, and 1gb ram. (Considering I see nothing more advanced then my similar engine using model animations instead of billboard sprites.)

Another thing you have to look out for is the size of you resources - (textures, sounds and whatnot) shrink textures down to no more then 64x64 for the largest ones, unless your game really needs HD quality for some reason. Using interpolation you can blur the textures making them look like they have a much higher resolution, and get rid of the blocky look you get with small textures.

Managing resources in detail will add load time but can improve memory use if needed. Simply load textures manually as you need them, then delete them from memory when they aren't needed. It's important to do this with larger files, like music or video. Smaller files it's not all that necessary though.

Avoid collision tests with every object, instead do collision events with parents of things or manually check with collision points/circles/etc. You can do tests to see what object your colliding with inside of those collision events if the specific object is needed.

Don't draw what you don't need to draw, if the player can't see it, why draw it? For example, if your using blocks to design the level, and its graphics card heavy, do some checks to determine what walls need to be drawn, by checking if it's next to equal or higher blocks.

Another thing you don't have to draw, Is every single frame at 60fps, If the users computer is running slow, skip every other frame or something, just to make the game run slightly faster.

If your really looking into improving performance with a GM game you need to implement Supersound.dll, and use smaller music formats such as .ogg.

Another criticall .dll you'll want to use is cleanmem.dll, which can drastically lower memory usage, as it prevents that memory leaking GML causes.

Supersound.dll

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=120034

Cleanmem.dll

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=438215

Just some tips. :P

These requirements are unacceptable considering I can run games such as Team fortress 2 on a lower end computer. Hell, I can even run Left 4 dead 2, yet this simplistic game runs like shit.

• Like 1

This is ridiculous. Seriously.

Copya pasta from me saying this same junk to someone else, elsewhere.

Object deactivation is a must. If the object is too far away for the player to see or prepare to interact with, there's no point in running the scripts for that object.

Without deactivation you're running every script in the entire room every single step.

Currently I'm using a 3D engine with acceleration, model collisions with physics, several light points, and it runs a flawless 60fps, using only a third of what you listed here. (course I didn't make it :P, I'm just using it for funnsies).

This game here should have no problem running on .5Ghz, and 1gb ram. (Considering I see nothing more advanced then my similar engine using model animations instead of billboard sprites.)

Another thing you have to look out for is the size of you resources - (textures, sounds and whatnot) shrink textures down to no more then 64x64 for the largest ones, unless your game really needs HD quality for some reason. Using interpolation you can blur the textures making them look like they have a much higher resolution, and get rid of the blocky look you get with small textures.

Managing resources in detail will add load time but can improve memory use if needed. Simply load textures manually as you need them, then delete them from memory when they aren't needed. It's important to do this with larger files, like music or video. Smaller files it's not all that necessary though.

Avoid collision tests with every object, instead do collision events with parents of things or manually check with collision points/circles/etc. You can do tests to see what object your colliding with inside of those collision events if the specific object is needed.

Don't draw what you don't need to draw, if the player can't see it, why draw it? For example, if your using blocks to design the level, and its graphics card heavy, do some checks to determine what walls need to be drawn, by checking if it's next to equal or higher blocks.

Another thing you don't have to draw, Is every single frame at 60fps, If the users computer is running slow, skip every other frame or something, just to make the game run slightly faster.

If your really looking into improving performance with a GM game you need to implement Supersound.dll, and use smaller music formats such as .ogg.

Another criticall .dll you'll want to use is cleanmem.dll, which can drastically lower memory usage, as it prevents that memory leaking GML causes.

Supersound.dll

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=120034

Cleanmem.dll

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=438215

Just some tips. :P

These requirements are unacceptable considering I can run games such as Team fortress 2 on a lower end computer. Hell, I can even run Left 4 dead 2, yet this simplistic game runs like shit.

Well thank you. I knew I did a poor job of managing my resources and thats exactly what I was thinking I needed to do, load textures externally. well now I have some work to do! Seriously this really helps a lot now I know exactly what to do to make the game perform better!

• 3 months later...

I have been on a long break from my project, but I am back on board and I have big plans for my baby. This is the red sands pyramid stage. It is still very early in construction but I figured, why not show off a little bit what I have done so far?

New Logo

newsxtrmegm8logo.png

Youtube Video Preview

Red Sands Pyramid

screenshot194g.png

screenshot195k.png

• 4 months later...

screenshot198o.png

Classic Sonic Xtreme Textures Have been applied and the game runs a lot smoother now on ANY system!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qms5Y_fBefg<-----June 2011 Youtube Link

screenshot104e.png

screenshot106p.png

Currently experimenting with somebody elses Sonic 2.5 D engine. Here you can see Sonic Xtreme GM8 graphics applied to it. this engine contains classic Sonic gameplay style and 3d loops and ramps. I may use these physics but for now I'm just testing and toying around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goqbk3ZimCE<----- June 2011 Other stuff Youtube link