A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[GM8] Sonic Coast

Ollie

Presenting...

logo.png

...Okay, so I suck at logo's...

Hey there, though I should just show off my cujrrent project, Sonic Coast, which I've actually only been working on for a day or two believe it or not, since I wanted to get some feedback about my current progress. I'll try and keep this thread as updated as possible.

Overview

Sonic Coast is a fan game developed in Game Maker using an old (But still excelent) engine created by Damizean & RogueYoshi's older. The aim of it is to be a fun simple 2D Sonic game but not strictly following the roots of the classic trilogy but still making it fun to play for the older fan like myself.

Storyline

The story isn't exactly set in a specific time in the Sonic Timeline, so no it's not what happens after Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You follow Sonic, Tails or Knuckles in order to stop Dr Robotnik from reaching the Death Egg. In order to accomplish this task you must guide Sonic/Tails/Knuckles through Robotnik's army and make sure you reach the Egg Ship in time. The Egg Ship is a giant spaceship that will be Robnotnik's flight to the Death Egg. There is only one day remaining before the Egg Ship launches, will you make it?

Levels

1. Rocky Resort

Sonic/Tails/Knuckles start their quest in Rocky Resort, a beautiful beach with sun in the sky and a blue sea but unfortunatley it's overlooked by Robotnik's island, the launch base for the Egg Ship. Sonic/Tails/Knuckles must blast through the enemies invading the beach in order to reach the Egg Ship in time!

Screenshots

Sonic_Coast004.png

Started work on the title screen, not really much to see though at the moment. It's worth mentioning that the blue tiles in the background scroll diagonally.

Sonic_Coast002.png

So you start here on Rocky Resort Act 1. Just showing off the title cards and also showing off a bit of the scenery for RRz too. Oh and yeah I know the sand needs recolouring...

Sonic_Coast003.png

This is the second screenshot I have of Rocky Resort, showing Sonic wall jumping his way up to the top of the cliff in order to start blasting through the stage! Though I'm having trouble deciding whether to scrap the wall jump feature for just using diagonal springs, since I know a lot of you like a lot of speed in a Sonic game. Reply with your thoughts on this please.

Anyway, that's all I have for the moment, I'm going to crack on with making more tiles for this level since this being the first level of a Sonic Game there must be a bit of grass somewhere. Sadly this game won't make it to SAGE this year (Like I said I've only really been working on it for a day or two, luckily I've done a lot of planning before hand so it really speeds up development) Please feel free to voice your feedback and suggestions!

Credits

Damizean & RogueYoshi - Engine Base

Rathe Ethransu - Modern Sonic Sprites

^ Sure, it was used in an older project of mine, I just stuck it in that screenshot as a place holder. The Title Screen will get a redesign.

Bit of an update, Rocky Resort's development is going very smoothly indeed. So I thought I'd expand a bit and look for future level ideas. Here is a small test level I did, Dusty Dash:

screenshot102z.png

Now this level is meant to be the first part of the final storyline in this game. You have to rush through the train in order to get to the front of it, to try and stop Robotnik from reaching his Egg Ship. I'm not too sure if I should make this train level just a one act level before the Egg Ship Stage or make this Act 3 of Dusty Dash and have the other two levels just in a Canyon type zone. Anyone want to suggest an idea on what they would like to see?

Credit goes to "Bruno the Rhino" and DCS for the Train sprite.

Here's a few possible title suggestions, since I notice it's still pending and may be something you're struggling with (names are bad like that lol):

Sonic Star Saver

Sonic Star Savior / Star Savior Sonic

Sonic Scramble (obviously a pun as in scrambled eggs and scrambling like jet fighters going on a mission)

Sonic Hates Eggman (lol)

Sonic Pursuit

Sonic: Egg Hunter (Make sure you release it on Easter if you use that one, hawwww)

Sonic Solution

If there's a water theme, here's water related:

Seaside Sonic

High Sea Hedgehog

As for the rest:

Little comment on the title screen, gotta see that in action before I can judge it proper, but obviously would benefit from original center art.

Graphically it looks fairly decent and it seems like it certainly has the potential to be great. However, I noticed, that you said these were screen shots of actual in-game levels right? If I may be so bold, your levels seem a bit flat and drab in your pics. Of course, this is presumably an early alpha version of the game you're showing us here, so I would suspect you may of already been considering remedying that issue, but a few graphical bits, from even a small rock or whatever and a few hills can turn a flat boring level into something dynamic and interesting.

That said, I can't wait to see what you do with this project.

Thanks for all your comments guys, I appreciate it.

Graphically it looks fairly decent and it seems like it certainly has the potential to be great. However, I noticed, that you said these were screen shots of actual in-game levels right? If I may be so bold, your levels seem a bit flat and drab in your pics. Of course, this is presumably an early alpha version of the game you're showing us here, so I would suspect you may of already been considering remedying that issue, but a few graphical bits, from even a small rock or whatever and a few hills can turn a flat boring level into something dynamic and interesting.

Currently what I'm showing off is a basic outline of the levels in the game. Meaning I'm focusing on getting the level layout perfect before progressing onto additional objects and what not. I do have slopes in Rocky Resort, they're just not shown at the moment since they need a bit of tweaking first.

Once I've finished an entire Act sure, I wouldn't mind releasing a tech demo. Also I'm in need of Special Stage ideas. I don't mind if it's in simple 3D (Think like the Knuckles Choatix special stage) Or a cool 2D Special Stage. Does anyone have any ideas?

• 1 month later...