A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Colors Thread

"Better" music does NOT in any way make for a better game. It does, however, make for a better experience... ...in a very small way, though. Just my opinion on the matter.

Unless you're talking about Guitar Hero or Rock Band. Then it does make for a better game depending on your opinion on that.

Edit: Saw the Deutsch Game Pro preview on the 'stadium, and I must say the following: Egg Pawns wearing Toques, wielding whisks as swords instantly equates to win.

Sonic Colors' lead designer, Takashi Iizuka, has said that anybody who liked Sonic back in the Genesis days should stop looking forward to the upcoming Wii game, reiterating the previous message that Colors is for children in no uncertain terms.

"We know there are sometimes opinions about control from core gamers, but we're intending Sonic Colors to be played by children of probably between six and twelve years-old," he explains. "So, with Sonic Colors we have aimed to make a game that everyone can control and have fun in. So, it's not really a game for the core gamers. If you take the rail grind, it's something that's fast, not difficult but is fun to do and looks great. It's about making a game that's right for the core audience of the game."

You guys heard the man. Don't play it!

Sonic Colors' lead designer, Takashi Iizuka, has said that anybody who liked Sonic back in the Genesis days should stop looking forward to the upcoming Wii game, reiterating the previous message that Colors is for children in no uncertain terms.

"We know there are sometimes opinions about control from core gamers, but we're intending Sonic Colors to be played by children of probably between six and twelve years-old," he explains. "So, with Sonic Colors we have aimed to make a game that everyone can control and have fun in. So, it's not really a game for the core gamers. If you take the rail grind, it's something that's fast, not difficult but is fun to do and looks great. It's about making a game that's right for the core audience of the game."

I was like 5 when I played the old genesis games >:(

What. The. Fuck.

Further proof that Iizuka is an idiot, and should be kicked off Sonic Team. Seriously. What happened to the "universal appeal" thing that Sonic had while competing with Mario, and which Mario is still the master of? Walt Disney once said, "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Multiple Demographic Appeal for the win.

And yet, adults will buy it for themselves anyway. Atleast, the ones that have been waiting for a good Sonic game since...well. I won't get into that debate.

Sonic Team has lost the ability to make a Sonic game that can survive in this climate that appeals to all ages, because the gamers that would have been interested in playing Sonic games before were scared away with abysmal efforts like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 (this probably did more damage than anything). They have to go back to simpler demographics, kids. It's gonna be that way for a while.

I mean I know it was kind of an unspoken rule before but...really. Oldschool fans really do have more capability to make what they've been waiting for than Sonic Team does. The only way Sega is gonna come back on top, ever, is if Sonic 4 is a critical success (which doesn't look like it'll be happening) and if Sonic Colors is a commercial success.

And I assure you, Espeed, that Sega doesn't give a damn about those kids either. Their demographic is kids, not kids-playing-games-they-shouldnt-be-anyway. And their parents, of course.

Sonic Colors'll be a commercial success, just you watch. If Sonic 4 can pick up the critical acclaim, Sega might actually start taking Sonic seriously and make a true masterpiece. And if not, we'll end up doing it ourselves.

I think Sonic Colors is going to be the foundation of future success depending on how they go about it... If they make it somewhat difficult and if the wisps abilities are interesting... I hope its not as easy as some ppl think it will be

Considering it's based off the 360 Unleashed gameplay, it's either gonna be:

* Way too easy

* Or cluttered with too much fake difficulty, enough to kill all enjoyment. That's Unleashed's main problem, the level design was horrendous.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've been reserved on this game. After watching game play. I am not impressed. I still see the same paint by numbers game I've been seeing since Sonic heroes once Yuji Naka left for Prope. Speaking of which what ever happened to that?

Here's what I'm seeing.

The same miss-use of rail grinding. As some one said above. No game play. No need to balance. Just press the trigger button to jump to the next rail when the screen prompts you.

Long stretch's of nothing but running. The laser move? Looks an aweful lot like a mix between Chaos blast and Chaos control in Shadow the hedgehog.

Secondly, sonic moves around wildly when trying to run straight.

Music is awful as well. I miss the days when game play meant ACTUALLY playing a game.

Have you noticed a more steady decline of anything remotely sonic styled in a sonic game? The loops are getting fewer and fewer, the corkscrew is still there, but only in the form of a 50 mile randomly floating rail bar with a magical ability to propel you inexplicably.

I love how he says it's for children 12 and below. When I first beat sonic 1, I was only 7 years old. I loved the game because it was much more than mario. Mario bored me. They have this idea that children are stupid. They are not. They want to be mentally stimulated as much as the rest of us.

I have a nephew who is 8. I let him play sonic unleashed. he said it was meh. Boring even. I handed him Sonic adventure. he played for a few hours then wanted to try Sonic adventure 2. He loves it. Yesterday he even played to the 3rd level in sonic and knuckles on my mega collection copy. Over all he says he likes the older games because they were more fun.

I see nothing but bland rail runner movies. It's no longer a game anymore. I've no interest in this. I could explain further but I'm really tired and I think I'm starting to rant.

Okay I've been reserved on this game. After watching game play. I am not impressed. I still see the same paint by numbers game I've been seeing since Sonic heroes once Yuji Naka left for Prope. Speaking of which what ever happened to that?

Here's what I'm seeing.

The same miss-use of rail grinding. As some one said above. No game play. No need to balance. Just press the trigger button to jump to the next rail when the screen prompts you.

Long stretch's of nothing but running. The laser move? Looks an aweful lot like a mix between Chaos blast and Chaos control in Shadow the hedgehog.

Secondly, sonic moves around wildly when trying to run straight.

Music is awful as well. I miss the days when game play meant ACTUALLY playing a game.

Have you noticed a more steady decline of anything remotely sonic styled in a sonic game? The loops are getting fewer and fewer, the corkscrew is still there, but only in the form of a 50 mile randomly floating rail bar with a magical ability to propel you inexplicably.

I love how he says it's for children 12 and below. When I first beat sonic 1, I was only 7 years old. I loved the game because it was much more than mario. Mario bored me. They have this idea that children are stupid. They are not. They want to be mentally stimulated as much as the rest of us.

I have a nephew who is 8. I let him play sonic unleashed. he said it was meh. Boring even. I handed him Sonic adventure. he played for a few hours then wanted to try Sonic adventure 2. He loves it. Yesterday he even played to the 3rd level in sonic and knuckles on my mega collection copy. Over all he says he likes the older games because they were more fun.

I see nothing but bland rail runner movies. It's no longer a game anymore. I've no interest in this. I could explain further but I'm really tired and I think I'm starting to rant.

I'm not sure how much you've seen, but you said the music is bad, so I think you must have missed out on this video.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/75624/sonic-colors/videos/gc10_soniccolors_gmp_gameplay_82310.html?show=hi

I'm not sure how much you've seen, but you said the music is bad, so I think you must have missed out on this video.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/75624/sonic-colors/videos/gc10_soniccolors_gmp_gameplay_82310.html?show=hi

That BGM reminds me of a day time talk show. I don't want to be thinking about the next wave of weight loss programs when I'm trying to think about " zomfg the adrenaline! I hope I can press L1 before i hit those oddly placed spike beds on an even more inexplicable hovering rail bar!"

I'm not trying to be to negative here but I See the same game they've been releasing for the last 10 years. In fact I made a point to point out to my brother when the next cliched scripted gimmick would come in to play. Cue spring loaded wall run to aerial QTE followed by 3 floating grind rails that swerve oddly to a disconnected path. I'm sorry but it looks, smells and feels like the same exact crap they've been feeding us since sonic heroes. What's next a remix-co-lab theme song by sum 41 and blink 182?

Here's what's missing:

The wisps, they look more like a "colorful" distraction from actual game play.

"whoops 5 cookie cutter robots from sonic heroes, oh noes this must be too hard to handle with a straight spin dash, or using my homing attack, hell I could use my light speed attack, but instead I'm going to use a wisp to turn in to a beam of light and pretty much teleport right by them.

It's still a scripted event. you just choose when to do it. you still aren't using any form of skill. thus it's fake game play.

After seeing 3 videos of game play with different stages they all look pretty much the same. Linear. The wisps pretty much make it possible to pass through the stages boundaries itself forgoing any need to actually go through it.

The foundation of sonic is not about "speed" its about the formula.

The formula was have a character that could act almost like a roller coaster cart. Then put him in a multi-route obstacle course and let the player use a limited skill set to get through it and reward them with continues, special stages and other game play goodies for doing it quickly.

The more new games come out, the more they outsource it to another company. Sonic sucks now because he is NOT sonic. Think of it this way. You work your ass off to buy a kick ass sports car. Now after making it shiny and nice. You loan it to a friend in need for an hour. He gets drunk and crashes it. when you yell at him for wrecking your car, he doesn't care. Why? It's not his, he has no real ramifications. He didn't work hard for it. it's not his problem.

No one is going to care about something that belongs to you more than you.

all of the original people that worked on Sonic in his heyday no longer work there. You have a completely different generation of individuals at the helm. None of which care about the character or his integrity. The generation we're in has little to no imagination. Thus lack luster game after lackluster game.

The more imaginative a sonic level the better. Let's not forget they need to create a sense of flow to it as well. I see none of this. It's cookie cutter molding through and through. And the cookies have a bad recipe. and uninterested bakers.

Differing opinions, I guess. I find the music lovely (weight loss programs? what?), the environments bright and colorful, and even the wisps to be a fun gimmick. There's still the problem with linearity and not having many multiple paths, but I can't say I don't think they've improved.

You mentioned outsourcing though, isn't this game completely inside? That is, all Sonic Team?

Yo, I dont give a fuck who the game is aimed for, if it's a game that arouses my interest, I'm gonna try it out, plain and simple... Who cares who its aimed at! Theyre not telling you that you CAN'T buy the game, so why let age difference get in the away, I mean srsly

Rail grind balancing was tedious enough in Adventure 2, then it became Hell in Sonic Heroes. I consider this an improvement.

I disagree on most of your post though, but it's too much of a word wall for me to pick out and get at every point.